Rough knife problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hankenhunter

Rough knife problem

Post by hankenhunter »

I was approached by a young lad of 12 today with a problem. He was left his grandfathers skinning knife when he passed. The knife in question is an old handmade from a ind. hacksaw blade. The problem is it's condition. Deeply pitted and badly stained with rust. Apparently a leaky roof caused this. Normally I would have suggested tossing it or relegating it to scraping detail, but this lad thinks a lot about this knife and I want to clean it up as best I can. Any tips on the best way to go about this? The blade is single bevel which I will turn into a double bevel just because of the amount of rust chipping on the edge. I'm pretty sure that I can salvage the handle, but any advice on restoring the blade would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hank
taz3

Re: Rough knife problem

Post by taz3 »

You can soak the blade in a mixture of vinegar (1 quart) 4 table spoons of salt and an ounce of real lemon juice. Let it soak for 2-4 days, checking on it daily and with a light scrubbing with a scotch brite pad. Once it comes clean, mix up a paste with baking soda and water and smear it all over the metal then rinse with warm to hot water, this with neutralize the acids. This formula is none toxic and can go down the drain, it won't harm your skin, but you will stink :lol: I suggest rubber/latex gloves.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

I've had success in the past cleaning up rusty parts with C.L.R.
It will take the riser old but leave the steel a blackened color.
Some fine sand paper and wd40 or pb blaster should also do the trick.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

An body shop trick is a product that "stops rust", it works only problem turns rust to a type of bluing but works well.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Darrel, if you're able to try the initial cleaning with vinegar etc...I'd be happy to do what I can on my Ken Onion Work Sharp and bring that knife up to a razor convex edge. If it's a wood handle I can sand it down and finish it with some coats of True Oil. Let me know and I'll give you my address. :wink:

Paul

Edit to add: just to be clear, I don't want anything and I'll cover the return shipping. That's an heirloom and the boy should be able to cherish his grandfather's knife.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Thanks for all the replies. Taz, how long should I leave the base paste on the blade? Paul, thanks for the offer but guess what? Much like my effusive praise of the gillie suit caused you to pull the trigger and buy one, your praise for the worksharp got me thinkin and voila, I bought one also. Most happy with it. All the neighbors have sharp knives now. :lol: Funny how that works. Have a great day all.
Hank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

hankenhunter wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Taz, how long should I leave the base paste on the blade? Paul, thanks for the offer but guess what? Much like my effusive praise of the gillie suit caused you to pull the trigger and buy one, your praise for the worksharp got me thinkin and voila, I bought one also. Most happy with it. All the neighbors have sharp knives now. :lol: Funny how that works. Have a great day all.
Hank
That's excellent! :lol: .....although it was Newbie who convinced me to buy the Work Sharp. So you see, he's the real trouble maker that caused you to spend your moolah! :mrgreen:

Paul
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

paulaboutform wrote:
hankenhunter wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Taz, how long should I leave the base paste on the blade? Paul, thanks for the offer but guess what? Much like my effusive praise of the gillie suit caused you to pull the trigger and buy one, your praise for the worksharp got me thinkin and voila, I bought one also. Most happy with it. All the neighbors have sharp knives now. :lol: Funny how that works. Have a great day all.
Hank
That's excellent! :lol: .....although it was Newbie who convinced me to buy the Work Sharp. So you see, he's the real trouble maker that caused you to spend your moolah! :mrgreen:

Paul
Well I guess I owe thanks to Newbie as well cause hot damn this Worksharp makes knife sharpening a breeze. Scarey sharp is not a exaggeration, it's a reality. I also found a place on line that sells micro mesh belts much cheaper with a better selection of grits. After I try a few I will give you the addy if they perform well.
Hank
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Hank
You only need to give it a good rub, on to the knife, it will neutralize the vinegar mix pretty much on contact, then a good water rinse. Depending on how bad the rust is will be how long it will need to soak in the vinegar. I have found the Scotch Brite pads will help and give you a good idea of how it's coming along too.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

taz3 wrote:
Hank
You only need to give it a good rub, on to the knife, it will neutralize the vinegar mix pretty much on contact, then a good water rinse. Depending on how bad the rust is will be how long it will need to soak in the vinegar. I have found the Scotch Brite pads will help and give you a good idea of how it's coming along too.
Thanks Taz. Any ideas about what to fill the pits with? If there is such a thing besides bondo. I realize that I wont be able to make it look new again, just spiff it up. Seems like a decent blade. Super hard steel.
Hank

Post by newbie »

If it were me i would just remove rust resharpen/reprofile then repair/clean sand refinish the handle. It is an old knife and shouldn't need to look new just serviceable. I wouldnt want to change something dear to my heart just make it usable.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:If it were me i would just remove rust resharpen/reprofile then repair/clean sand refinish the handle. It is an old knife and shouldn't need to look new just serviceable. I wouldnt want to change something dear to my heart just make it usable.
I must agree. Mike may be a trouble maker but he does know what he's talking about! :mrgreen:

Paul
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

O.K, you talked me into it. Must be the tinker in me that won't leave well enough alone. :roll: Thanks again for all the help. You guys are great.
Hank
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

I've cleaned rust off guns with Kroil and OOOO steel wool. Rub lightly and it does NOT take off blue. I cleaned a WWII gun and civil war cap and ball revolver, both rusted & pitted and it took off the rust but not any bluing. The pitting is always going to be there unless you grind it down and I don't recommend that. The OOOO steel wool comes from the local Home Depot and comes in a plastic bag. Kroil comes in an orange can from most sporting good stores. Good luck!
Bob
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
taz3

Post by taz3 »

hankenhunter wrote:
taz3 wrote:
Hank
Thanks Taz. Any ideas about what to fill the pits with? If there is such a thing besides bondo. I realize that I wont be able to make it look new again, just spiff it up. Seems like a decent blade. Super hard steel.
Hank
IMO, I would leave it as others have said, you would only be able to mask it, even welding the pits will affect the temper of the blade. It will have some really nice character if you clean it and give it a fresh edge, that only time can do. :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting