Why Epoxy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Why Epoxy?

Post by taz3 »

I just did a search and found members recommend 2 part epoxy for inserts, rather then super glues, what is the reason? I'm aware super glues tend to dry brittle, but there are some now that are impact resistant.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
W.Miguire

Re: Why Epoxy?

Post by W.Miguire »

Goat Tough has a impact glue that works good . it is black in color . it works just fine . that's what I use and have no problems. it is important to make sure that you clean everything with acetone . you can buy from them or a archery shop.
W.M.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i use G5 blu-glu for inserts and blazer vanes and have not had any issues at all with it. cleaning gluing surfaces first with acetone
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

The best epoxy to use is not the one hour epoxy. This kind of epoxy takes much longer to set up and allows deeper penetration into the pores of the shaft. I don't use it anymore but if memory serves me, it is also easier to remove inserts using heat.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Everyone will have a preference but as mentioned shaft and insert preparation is critical. Some cyano. based glues get very brittle (like the original goat tough...I haven't used the new) so some may prefer the two part epoxies for that reason. Ultimately you just want your inserts to stay in the shafts. Check out YouTube for arrow epoxy/glue tests and you'll have a bunch of stuff you can investigate.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I use 24 hour Epoxy. Tried superglues and lost inserts in 3D animals where they melt themselves in and super tough to get back out. CHEERS!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Im still using glue sticks. No problems at all. Much easier to remove With less heat.
Hank

Post by newbie »

wheelie wrote:I use 24 hour Epoxy. Tried superglues and lost inserts in 3D animals where they melt themselves in and super tough to get back out. CHEERS!
x2
I have fixed many arrows for guys that inserts were put in with super glue.
When I put an insert in I want it to stay in. I do not see a need to remove them so I use JB weld.
It also gives me time to work with the arrows to weight match each step as it has a longer setup time. Add a little glue remove a little.
As Don said use 24 hour not the quick set as it dries harder then the longer cure stuff.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

I use a hot melt glue made for inserts. Easy to remove and shock proof.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I used hot glue and inserts came out.Experts here said use blue cap gorilla glue and they do not come out and if I want to remove them a little GOOF OFF soaking the insert and I nock them out with a drill bit inside 2 wacks and out they come...