Off topic: Argo vehicles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hillcountry

Off topic: Argo vehicles

Post by Hillcountry »

Interested in buying an Argo amphibious for hunting and fishing and chores.
Would like feedback from anyone that owns/uses them and pros and cons.
Thanks in advance!
All input appreciated!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Hi5

Re: Off topic: Argo vehicles

Post by Hi5 »

Many, many, moons ago I used to own one. I thought it would effectively replace an ATV (quad or trike version) and a snowmobile.

They have since been designed to be a whole lot more reliable, I believe, and less demanding for maintenance, too.

A quad is lighter and faster and smoother riding. A snowmobile is faster and lighter and smoother riding.

The Argo can travel through stuff you couldn't even walk on. That's a big positive to consider.

However, you had best travel with a darned good long range radio. That's because if it ever lets you down, you better hope someone will come with a helicopter to rescue you. Something to consider--if you aren't traveling in that kind of stuff, why do you need something that can take you there? (and maybe leave you there?)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have not owned one but I have spent some time in one, and... fixing. They are a neat idea and likely a great tool for a marsh but they ride rough. the only suspension to absorb shock are the tires & Its a skid steer design so they are lawn rippers. I am convinced that the only way to buy one is new so that you can hopefully have a few good years of use before the maintenance kicks in.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've used one on my friends farm, where I hunt hogs, for many years. He sold it with his guide camp in Northern Alberta last season. They're a pain to get in and out of and, as mentioned, a very rough ride. That being said they are great for going through the thick willows and the mow over a lot. My buddy used it in rugged country dragging moose and bears. There were repair costs but I don't know if they were extraordinary. I'd do a search for reviews and I'm sure there's an atv forum somewhere with good info. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Thanks for the replies!
We used an atv for light plowing and riding around our acreage as well as ice fishing (have to trailer 10 miles).
Our skidoo was strictly for ice fishing (03 Skandic wide track) and no trail riding at all as they are heavy beasts.
We figured an Argo would eliminate both (Argo can plow) and all season, trailering to the lake we sometimes found that ice/snow conditions on the lake were better suited for the machine we DIDN'T bring...And at 68 yrs old, no interest in trail riding.
A beaver pond borders our property and with the neighbor's permission we could take an Argo out on the beaver pond to do trout fishing and maintain the duck boxes.
We would buy a new or very, late model as I like to break in equipment my own way...and I am very easy on my machines...no monkey business or beating them like you see on so many "youtubes"
Leaning toward a 6x6 model as it is only my wife and I or me by myself.
Will be visiting a dealer as soon as this crappy weather breaks to check them out.
By the way, you can get a side step option to help in climbing in and out.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I have a 6x6 for 7 yrs now ,, It has served its purpose very well for me and the family . I did put the track on for better traction and also have it enclosed during ice fishing. I do take care of it and make sure all maintence is done . Sure it's a bit if a rough ride compared others but I'm sure you'll get yrs of use from it..
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

rein1 wrote:I have a 6x6 for 7 yrs now ,, It has served its purpose very well for me and the family . I did put the track on for better traction and also have it enclosed during ice fishing. I do take care of it and make sure all maintence is done . Sure it's a bit if a rough ride compared others but I'm sure you'll get yrs of use from it..
Thanks!
I would get an enclosure and possibly tracks as well...as for ride comfort, nothing is rougher riding than my Kubota BX mowing on my bumpy as hell 5 acre lawn!
I need a kidney belt for that...
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

I went grocery shopping at COSTCO last week they display vehicles you can buy through them. For months they had a new Honda street bike on Display. Year before that they had a Honda cr 250. But of late they had an ARGO. Powered by a Honda motor. They have come a long way. Quality went up over the years. I like it. If I lived near marsh or swamps. I'd own one. But the price went up on them. Big time. But so has the Quality. Made very well.