Which Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Okiehunter

Which Crossbow

Post by Okiehunter »

I am overwhelmed at all of the options. I deer hunt 50/50 from treestand and ground blind. I like to take my neice and nephew. (11 and 8 years) When my father retired he decided to join in the archery ranks with a cross bow. It is pretty loud, but it is deadly and from a rest seems perfect to get the kids involved before it gets cold.

I was impressed with the quietness of the Suppressor in the video, but haven't found many reviews of them. Dad and I built 2 ground blinds with framed in windows and I have 1 tower that has windows. The shorter length seems like a good option for the kiddos.

Help me out with suggestions and why? I am relatively new to crossbows.
L. E. Carroll

Re: Which Crossbow

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If they were my grandkids of the same ages, and smaller stature, I woud look very hard at the new Grizz II @ 305 fps and a 200# draw wt. or the Matrix Cub at 285 fps and a 190# draw weight. ( actually it's only 1/2 of that when a cocking rope with it's pullies is to be used ) :wink: ..

This would be especially important to me , as I would not be looking forward to cocking it every time they shoot, and would be looking forward to them getting strong enough to do it on their own ..asap.

Many guys here would have a tough time with a Suppressor while using a cocking rope at 280# draw weight :roll: ... Oh yes, you can bring the cub up to 305 with just a fast flite Matrix string. :wink:

BTW, you can get 1 or 2 of each of those for less than the suggested price of 1 Suppressor.

but, that's just me and my $.02 for what ever it's worth.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

Thank you for the reply! I guess I should clarify, I would be the one cocking it and I would always be at arms length away. My neice and nephew live a few hours away so they get to go hunting with me a few times out of a 3.5 month long season. I would be the one hunting with the crossbow 90% of the time.

One concern I have is I have read some comments that the suppressor might not be as accurate due to the smaller size. Is this common among all of the smaller crossbows?
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum and I would agree with Gene on the easier cocking bows!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Okiehunter wrote:Thank you for the reply! I guess I should clarify, I would be the one cocking it and I would always be at arms length away. My neice and nephew live a few hours away so they get to go hunting with me a few times out of a 3.5 month long season. I would be the one hunting with the crossbow 90% of the time.

One concern I have is I have read some comments that the suppressor might not be as accurate due to the smaller size. Is this common among all of the smaller crossbows?
All Excalibur bows are super accurate. You will not notice any accuracy loss under field conditions, if at all. I am not really saying go with a Micro,( A Suppressor is a Micro) but if you do you will like it. They are fine bows and do carry in the woods well and shoot from a blind easily. They are also hard to cock.
My son ,Colton has a Micro 335, that he loves, but I am the official cocker! That is not a bad thing as I get to hunt with him, and not one neighborhood cat or dog has come up shot with a crossbow.( Thank you Jesus!)
In reality you can buy any model Excalibur you think might be the best for your needs, you will be happy with it and amazed at its accuracy. Then next year or two buy what you think you need then. Most wind up with a collection sooner or later.
I know that I didn't give much of a guide for "Which One", but they are all good. I have a couple of Matrix's, son has Micro 335, and I have an older wide limbed Vortex. Its a hard call when I go to shoot or hunt. Have fun and welcome to your new addiction.
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

I'm getting 1 1/2 in. groups at 40 yds. with my Suppressor shooting from my hunting chair. My arrows are BE Zombies with 150 grain fixed blade broadheads total arrow weight around 440 grains, FOC of 23. I don't have a chronograph but when I had the Tactzone on the bow it was sitting @ 320 with the 440 grain arrows.
From a shooting rest, with field points it's very close to same hole accuracy @ 40 yds.
I use the C2 crank for repetitive target practice with my 380's and Suppressor.

Czy_Horse
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I bought my grandsons a Matrix 330 it's a little bigger than the Micro
But they cock easy and are very accurate.My wife also has a 330
Which she loves. There's a lot of different models out there but as I get older
I enjoy the less cocking effort the Matrix line has over the Micros
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The " Bargain" is the 350se. About 5 1/2 $ tyd. Nice bows
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Search around n fine a good pricen on the Matrix 330/350/355. They lose less speed over all usin a heavier arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

330 would be my choice
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:If they were my grandkids of the same ages, and smaller stature, I woud look very hard at the new Grizz II @ 305 fps and a 200# draw wt. or the Matrix Cub at 285 fps and a 190# draw weight. ( actually it's only 1/2 of that when a cocking rope with it's pullies is to be used ) :wink: ..

This would be especially important to me , as I would not be looking forward to cocking it every time they shoot, and would be looking forward to them getting strong enough to do it on their own ..asap.

Many guys here would have a tough time with a Suppressor while using a cocking rope at 280# draw weight :roll: ... Oh yes, you can bring the cub up to 305 with just a fast flite Matrix string. :wink:

BTW, you can get 1 or 2 of each of those for less than the suggested price of 1 Suppressor.

but, that's just me and my $.02 for what ever it's worth.

Gene
Good suggestion Gene,
I would recommend the same advice. :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Okiehunter wrote:Thank you for the reply! I guess I should clarify, I would be the one cocking it and I would always be at arms length away. My neice and nephew live a few hours away so they get to go hunting with me a few times out of a 3.5 month long season. I would be the one hunting with the crossbow 90% of the time.

I'd like to clarify your concern regarding accuracy. I'm one of the guys that said the wider limb models are more accurate than the narrow limb models. Now that's true, but, you're really splitting hairs. With all things being equal, it may mean a Micro will shoot 2" groups at 80yards where a Matrix will shoot 1.5" groups and an Exo series will shoot 1". I'm just using these numbers as an example and not actual data as there are many variables that will result in groups being tighter or wider. Ultimately, as already mentioned, they're all very accurate.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Matrix 330 :mrgreen:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Matrix 350 SE or LE if you can still find one available.... Awesome model and IMO the best Bang for your Buck in the whole Excal line-up. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

330 was sweet bow, accurate to a fault, and like was said, I lost less speed per grain as I increased weight to what I consider hunting weight arrows over the Micro.

Saying that the 350 is in my opinion a better option for a one and done hunting bow in the light poundage choices. The 330 does feel a little better shooting offhand, but the 350 offers that little bit of extra OOMPH, for bigger than deer game, like pigs and black bear. But setup properly either will take even Elk sized game with well placed shots efficiently!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!