Accuracy with Diablos and Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

Accuracy with Diablos and Boltcutters

Post by F250-2 »

Wondering if anyone shoots the standard Diablo bolts with the 150 gr. fixed blade Boltcutter broadhead. Any experience on deer with them ? What about accuracy ? Thanks !!
SEW

Re: Accuracy with Diablos and Boltcutters

Post by SEW »

I have 2 friends who use exactly that. I helped setup both of their Xows. Equinox and Vortex. The Equinox with a 2-7 VXR/Optimizer and the Vortex with its stock scope, both , could keep 1" 3-shot groups at 80 and 60 yards respectively. This is with your referenced BHs and arrows. With custom arrows, slight improvement resulted. This is off a benchrest setup.
Summary: it's very hard to beat Diablos/Boltcutters.
PS I don't think I ever tried them on a much higher poundage xbows .
dithian

Re: Accuracy with Diablos and Boltcutters

Post by dithian »

That's all I've ever used with my M330, and they've done right by me. The deer in my neck of the woods (axis deer) are notorious string duckers, and my bolts sometimes land off from where I'm aiming—usually a little high. I thought it might be a broadhead/arrow issue or a tuning issue, or even a "heat of the moment" issue. Then I started shooting pigs, and most of those shots have been dead-on heart shots, including a small pig at 40 yards. Now I'm convinced that the deer around here are psychic gymnasts. Boltcutters do the job well. For what it's worth, I am awaiting a Micro 335, and I've ordered BEA 16" bolts for it.

Always spin test your arrows and broadheads to make sure they're in tune. Any poorly seated broadhead will turn a straight arrow into a sidewinder.