What Excal to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

What Excal to buy?

Post by grouse »

Every off season since I started crossbow hunting I have been tempted to buy a new crossbow. My first and only crossbow is an Axiom, and it has served me so well that I question why I am considering adding to my collection. Even though I hunt almost exclusively from elevated stands with shooting rests, the size and weight of the micros appeals to me. The price value of the 350 models is also very appealing.

I recently turned 68 and I'm still pretty strong (I work out at a health club 3 times a week and can cock my Axiom without a cocking rope). Nonetheless, I'm concerned about cocking effort on whatever bow I buy because I know that I'm not as strong as I was at 35, and that trend is likely to continue. I would like to avoid a crank cocker as long as possible. The draw weight difference of the three micros only increases in 10 lb. increments. How much difference does that translate into in cocking effort? Any of them has enough speed for me but if the cocking effort is similar, more speed is better.

I'm not seeing as many limb issues discussed on this forum with the micros and I'm feeling more comfortable with their reliability. I'm not closing the door on the matrix line either. Even though I live in a large metropolitan area, I don't know of any seller that has a all of these bows for me to cock and shoot. I would prefer to buy from Danny Miller anyway. I would appreciate any advice and comments from all of the experienced people on this forum.
axiom
350 SE
vixenmaster

Re: What Excal to buy?

Post by vixenmaster »

Micro's other than bein small n compact is a back breaker! I have 2 n i love them but i also use a C2 crank on them at 67 yrs old. The Matrix line fer the price if'en you can find one Excals 350/se/le models best bang fer the buck spent
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've drawn the micro 335 and to me it feels more like my matrix 405. I have a micro 355 and to me it's harder to draw than my M405. I haven't drawn a micro 315. Perhaps a Cub would be an option as well???

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

There's a 350 for sale for $499 at crossbowtalk classifieds.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a Micro 335 as well as a new Matrix 350...... If I had to make a choice between them . :roll: I would easily pick the 350. They weigh nearly the same, and the 335 does handle a bit better due to it's size....

Beyond that point, it becomes all Matrix 350 ,,,, it's way cheaper at nearly 1/2 the price of a Micro, much easier to draw, and faster... I can not believe how accurate mine is at 50 yards with a Crossbones on top. Finally....there is the full camo aspect of the Matrix 350 SE/LE bows and the pattern they wear....

Matrix 350 is IMO, definately the best Bang for your buck in the Excal line-up ! :wink: :wink:

I'm 66 and have had surgeries on both shoulders but still draw all my bows including my 380 with just the rope cocker.... Again, I would encourage the 350 if you can still find one! :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Micro Suppressor. No contest
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Check out the Micro 315. Mine has not let me down!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I wouldn't close the door on a Matrix. I have a Matrix 350, it's an awesome bow and its 240 lb pull isn't bad to cock and uncock. If it wasn't such a sweet deal I likely would have gone for the 330 Matrix. Plenty fast and a 220lb draw. Hopefully you can find somewhere to try out a few different bows and see what fits you best. Good luck on the bow hunt!
Matrix 350SE
R.E.D.S. 'n' Brakes
TriggerTech
grouse

Post by grouse »

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info. I just ordered a 350 LE on ebay. I've never seen or been near one (to my knowledge), but I'm sure I'll be writing about the pleasure of hunting with it this fall!
axiom
350 SE
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats its one fine model
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

congrats you won't be disappointed it's a great bow!
Matrix 350SE
R.E.D.S. 'n' Brakes
TriggerTech