Turkey decoy distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Turkey decoy distance

Post by longbow joe »

I was curious about how far people distanced their decoys from the blind l used to go about 15 yards years back .now with the avians eater,laydown & a standing hen im doing like 8 yards l think l like them this close for crossbow my big tom was a 8 yard shot ....very exciting also how do you position the heads (facing or away) l kinda do both . The laydown hen seems to be a real attention getter so far this is new to me this year.l was just curious about what works for some of you.l also have a goofy blow up hen that looks really bad but the turkeys just dont seem to see it as i do they love it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Re: Turkey decoy distance

Post by W.Miguire »

I like to set my dekes 4 or 5 steps from the blind . what way they face is up to the wind . got the strutter mounted to a little dolly and work it back and forth. also have some mounted birds and they work very well. the mounted hen is all beat up if I put her in a laying pose I dig a hole for her legs as she is ready to breed. have to wait another week before my season starts. by the way Joe nice bird. good luck to all you folks on your turkey hunts.
W.M.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I always put mine at 20 yds. It seems to work for me.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
catclr

Post by catclr »

I have used the 20 yds. but seems to put the live birds out to 40 yds., so I have come in to 10 yds., and works for both crossbow or gun.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

20 yards for me,but if I ever get out will try 10!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

with me it depends on the setup 10 to 20 yards is good and most times on an little angle from the blind so the gobbler focuses on the decoy and if I move it won't catch the movement .
rayman

Post by rayman »

Usually a single hen or two hens. Position them kind of quartering towards me so they do not appear to be staring at me but the turkeys can't see their eyes as they approach.

I go with about 20 yards and like to put the decoy(s) behind some light cover from me so I can still shoot a turkey near them but I am not in the wide open. Often times a hen, group of hens, or jake will go to the decoy while the gobbler stays back strutting. I don't want to spook the first to arrive before the gobbler has a chance to make his way over. :)