Setting up the Suppressor, finally dialing in.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Setting up the Suppressor, finally dialing in.

Post by wildcatter »

Well guys I bought this bow when the fish were just startin in the river this spring,, so really didn't have time to dial it in, just ripped the noise reducing chit off it, which did make it feel better and I really didn't notice a difference in noise. If there was any it was minor. Then I threw an XB1 I had laying around on it, and I had 3 old arrows left over from the Micro Deceiver 335 I put together 410 grains, never really squared the the scope to the riser or zeroed it precisely till today, but had it close enough to hit bulls affhand at 25 yards most of the time when I did my part.

I built 5 arrows from damaged Spynal Tapps from the 380 I had been hanging on to fer when I got another Micro a couple days ago. So you could say I just cut down some junk arrows and threw them together, mater of fact, the index markings were gone on two of em, but hey,, it's a recurve, anything outa work,,,, :wink:

I setup the plumb line up at 30 yards and got the scope dialed into the rings, reticle plumb with the plum line then before adjusting the scope precisely, I went ahead with same scope adjustments I hlready had set, and just shot each arrow at a 1/2" squares I made on the 450K with a red marker. These were shot at 25 yards, and I was pretty happy for what they are,, I don't know if any arrows woulda shot any better with the parallax at that range.

After shooting these arrows 3 or 4 times and getting the same exact results, I went ahead and shot them a couple times each just holding the bow with it restin on the table and the forearm in my hand resting it on the front rest, and holding the bow very loose. I wanted to see if this changed the POI, and as usual with this recurves, I saw no difference in my POI.

So now it was time to see what they would do through the chronograph. They were 15.5 inch Tapps with a 2.5" bushing in the front, 80 grain insert and a 125 tip with blazer vanes about a 1* offset, weighing 398.7 to 401 grains grains. I shot each one through the chrony and this was my results.
1)331.1, 2)330.9, 3)331.4, 4)331.6, 5)331.0, I was very happy with those results, an average of 331.2 fps, w/ an extreme spread of just .65 fps, and 97 ft lbs KE,, plenty for deer with fixed braodheads inside 40 yards.

I had seen enough to go ahead and fine tune the adjustment at 20 yards zero. then set the scope speed ring to about 330 fps and took the Spyder web and the Rhinhart to 40 yards, first shot was just a tad high with two arrows so I turned the speed up to 340 pulled the arrows and shot two again,, maybe 1/2" high and center, so called that good and screwed a 125 grain Viper to one of the other shafts, I shot about the same for height but just a tad over 1/2" left, so I pulled the broadhead arrow and screwed the Viper Trick on one of the other shafts,,, exact same result, it hit within less than 1/4" of the first arrow. So I was happy. Good enough to hunt with out to 40 even 50 yards with the first arrows and broadhead I put threw it, and better speed than I was expecting after hearing what others were doing.

I did have a sixth arrow that I cut from the front to 15.5 inch, removing the bushing, making it a single wall tap and with a heavier insert I cut from a 125 grain, it was 404 grains. But I was shocked how much the POI changed, it was plenty accurate, hitting the exact same hole 2 times in a row, and within 1.5 fps of the other 5 arrows, but shot 1.5" high and 1" to the left at 25 yards,,, this was uncommon for me from a recurve to see that much change in POI. But definitely showing even with this short stiff shaft, that bushing missing changed the spine of the arrow enough to make a huge difference in it's impact.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachmen ... 82&thumb=1

After this day 1 session I am very satisfied with the l'il Suppressor, It is a dream to shoot offhand, and very easy to hit anything I aim at out 30 yards, thats as far as I've tried till no. But after cutting these Tapps down I had ruined shooting groups and splitting the back inch or so, and just chopping them off and refletching some old arrows, I am very happy just the way it is. I really don't see any reason to buy or build new arrows for it, I have some other Tapps and Executioners that I have ruined outa the Darton, that I am sure I could put 4 or five of the same lot together and be able to cut em from the 22" they started life as to 15.5 or 16" and make great hunting arrows in this bow.

I will not be using this where I have any shots over 40 yards anyways, and most places will be where 25 or 30 yards is about all I can get out to from all the brush and thick cover. I am a little sore from the 30 to 40 shots I took rope cocking it today, but found it as easy to cock as my 380's. maybe easier since it realy is pretty light till you get to that last 1" but as short as it's draw is you are there before you get straightened up. The only thing I didn't care for was how much the POI changed by simply changing the spine of arrow, I guess the 335 would have done that going from tapps to executioners, just not quite as sever, but I will do some testing with some other tapps that are 16" and still have the bushings in them out of the same batch of arrows.

It is a keeper,, for now anyways. Now it's on to getting the new custom bow finished and assembled,, but I still got a couple parts to round up, and just might order some new Titanium hardware for it,,,, but I'll go to bed happy tonight!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
ThunderXB

Re: Setting up the Suppressor, finally dialing in.

Post by ThunderXB »

Very nice!

Seems pretty accurate with your "junk" arrows. :lol:
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Ya, imagine that, one mans junk is another mans treasure I always been told. Heck I think I just got into the recycling business, and this is my first piece of new machinery,,, heck ya,,, now to let Jeannine know we got a new business we gotta invest in and expand,,,,,, :lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You got it shootin very well
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Wild, it looks pretty sweet, and deadly too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can't wait to see the custom one your working on.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Nice review Catter. I have also notice the micro bows to be a little touchy with arrows when compared to the Exo and Matrix bows. Still very accurate but just seem to require a strict diet of arrows.
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Thanks folks, I am happy fer sure, like the Micro 335 I had, what I like most about it is how accurate it is offhand. I can shoot the 350 as well, but it's not as easy as the Suppressor. It sure feels better,, and the 350 offhand for me feels better than the 380's,,, easier to shoot accurately offhand that is. This is one reason I cut the 405 down and sold the other one, they just didn't fit me well, shot great off a rest, but for me not as well offhand.

Don't know if it just fits me better,, or if the shorter power stroke, and better weight for their size makes them more forgiving,, getting the arrow gone from the string sooner, and I know any thing with a trigger is more accurate with some weight. Even higher end pro SLR cameras are built with more heft to tame vibration, over the less expensive models.

To me the way it came was heavier than it needed to be a good shooting platform, and by removing the limb dampeners and air brakes, made feel and shoulder much better. Countering any difference in sound they made. It is still as quiet as the 335 I went through all the trouble silencing everything I could on.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!