Whitetail Rut 2017

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Micro.slayer

Whitetail Rut 2017

Post by Micro.slayer »

Before you know it. Archery season will be here. And this is supposed to be the year of the Intense Rut. Ain't gonna lye. I believe I got screwed screwed by the super moon. To much light, for the Doe's eyes! When of course IF we had less. Much less. It may have been better. I did not see many Big Bucks roaming! Later in October/ Early November. And a lot of Guys had better luck in Early October. Well
I hope this year is Intense. I will be ready. And good luck to all. I know it's May !
NEPAbowhunter

Re: Whitetail Rut 2017

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have been lucky enough to have vacation time every year for the first two weeks of November. That is the last two weeks of PA.'s first archery season. I have found that good rut, bad rut, new moon, no moon, rain, wind, good weather etc. It is all about getting out there.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Normous

Post by Normous »

Too many variables can possibly effect the rut in your area to be an absolute prediction. In my area my vacation plan revolves around the first two weeks of November and that time has never disappointed me.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't knowed about a Super Moon, but the Super heat n Summer goin up into Nov. Made deer movement in daylight much less. I only saw 2 shooter Bucks on my lease place the whole season n they were together wid a tad smaller 7 pt. I killed the 10 n let the big 8 n 7 eased on out away from me. :) I only saw 21 deer fer the season, i avg seein over 80
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I think I'm the only one that likes hunting outside the rut for predictable behavior?

They can just be anywheres when that fairy dust hits the air.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

In Northern Virginia, the first three weeks of November are the best. I take a week of vacation around Veterans Day (11 Nov) and generally get one of my bigger bucks of the season during that week.

That second week, its best to be in the stand as much as possible even if you haven't been seeing anything. I catch big bucks cruising that I haven't seen on camera at all, or ones that had went missing for months.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

90 percent of fawns are born between may 10 and may 30th. So breeding takes place the same time every year. The moon can play a part in how deer move .but deer do feed at night all year.early season deer seem to be the most predictable. Coming out to feed before dark.obce thy pick up on hunters thy quickly change to after dark
I think the number of bucks will determine how early in the evenings you may see them as thy all want to be first ..
addicted to canadian beaver
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

I may be wrong but in my neck of the woods early to mid bow season I don't really consider the rut a factor. More food source and cover. But then again my bow season is my main freezer stuffer.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I try to take off the first and second week of November off each year. Some years I kill more deer than others; but the best part is that no one else is in the National Forest at that time. They save their vacation time for the rifle season, the following week. The increased deer movement and less number of hunters allows for a lot of opportunities.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
sirwill

Post by sirwill »

In Northeastern Ohio, we live for the first true cold front in October... Thats the magic switch in our part of the country... Last season the unseasonable warm weather trough much out the window...
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Sirwill. I like that theory! Seems to be true. Duck hunt. I like harpers Ferry. Been there to see the civil war history. Beautiful country