OT: A Fine & Proper SCARE!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Re: OT: A Fine & Proper SCARE!

Post by IronNoggin »

Big John wrote:... Please do what the MedicineMan tells ya! I know how much you love the rifles and shooting. I wish you many, many more years in the woods!! I will be waiting for update...
Yes my Big Buddy, this has been quite the shock. Still has me nervous, but a little less so than when it started. Decided to wander around to deliver a quick update, and since you're here, let you know I'll be contacting you fairly soon. I am right hoping to be shooting again in the not too far distant future... :wink:

At this point I am still "bed-ridden". Head must remain in a certain position for the vast majority of the day (and night). That presses the gas bubble up against the repair areas and helps it to heal. Two more days of that... Already bored beyond belief...

Two set of eye drops multiple times daily. Antibiotics, steroids, and a beta-blocker to reduce pressure / swelling inside the eye. Interesting trying to get them in there with only the other eye to aim with.

Already starting to seem some distorted colors and very fuzzy images. Likely be a few more weeks before those swim a little closer into view. SawBones suggested I might be able to return to work (fishing) by mid August.
Boo wrote:Matt, did the Dr mention if you have to stop shooting heavy recoiling rifles?
Doc said "we'll have to have a rather serious chat about that down the line". I explained that our plans included a hunt in the latter part of August and the intended targets included Grizz (translating 300 Weatherby Magnum). All he would say is "we'll talk"... Suppose I might have to look into one of those muzzle brakes after all Paul...

Well, that's where we sit for now. Best be getting back to the day bed and stare at the ceiling again. Did want to say Thanks again to all those thinking of me and forwarding such fine words of encouragement... Back atcha as I am able...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Normous

Post by Normous »

We will keep you in our thoughts for a "better looking" outcome, take it easy in the meantime. I had an accident in my youth that caused 100% blindness in my left eye for 5-6 days but it slowly returned to 100% so I can relate to how nervous you can feel in recovery mode.

I like the idea of using Dr. MuzzleBreak to reduce felt recoil, just remember to use hearing protection because you don't want hearing AIDS :shock:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Matt hope every thing goes well and you get to hunt the grizzly,can't wait for the story
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
maple

Post by maple »

Scary indeed! By now it seems things are being taken care of and the outcome is looking good. Still praying.

Recoil reduction option B. If you can put a pillow between the butt and your shoulder, you'll get a little more 'eye relief'.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wow. I've been pretty much off line a llt and just saw all of this. I'm glad things are getting better, and have prayed for the complete healing of your eye.
I also hope the rifle deal works out for you, but if not, well then a Grizz at 25yds with your crossbow would ...umm....probably be an aerobic experience (i.e. get the heart rate up just a tiny bit). :D

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

For the first time since the surgery, I can kind of "see" the gas bubble that was inserted into my eye to keep it inflated.
Appears to have shrunk perhaps 1/5 of it's original diameter.
Now we wait for it to dissipate completely...

Fledgling step, but a positive one methinks... :D

Cheers,
Nog The Hopeful
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Glad to hear you're healing fine and proper. I remember taking a mudball to my right eye as a kid. I had to lay up like you are. Damn near drove me crazy. I recomend audio books of the hunting variety. Heal well Matt.
Hank
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Hello Folks,

We traveled down to Victoria today to meet once again with the surgeon who operated on my right eye a little better than a week ago.
Just back home.
Here are the findings:

The retina that had detached from the wall of the eye has been successfully re-attached, and is continuing to heal.
That process will require another few weeks to be certain, but it looks as thought it is cooperating well.
That's the good news...

The very center of the back of the retina holds by far the most nerve endings in an area termed the macula.
As such it is responsible for both central and sharp vision.
The macula of my right eye has a hole in it - described much like a "paper punch" or "bullet hole".
It is assumed that this occurred when the retina detached a couple weeks ago.
Left uncorrected, this will "grossly distort" (read make seeing impossible) both central vision and all fine vision in that eye.

The doctor wants to wait until the retina overall has healed some more (suggested ~ 3 weeks).
Then is proposing another very complicated surgery.
That will require opening up the eye once again, conducting the work directly on the macula, once again inserting another gas ball to keep it inflated, and another series of weeks to heal sufficiently to know if that is successful.
Dr. Erasmus did note he is "reasonably confident" that this will address that issue.

Finally, if and when the eye heals from that process, he wants to conduct further surgery to deal with the cataracts they found in that eye while undergoing these procedures. If we get that far, this would be the least intrusive procedure of the lot.

Of course I agreed to all of this.
There is no other choice.

The Doc also said not to cancel my plans for heading back offshore in August, nor hunting in the fall.
I love his optimism, and wish I shared it completely with him. :shock:

A little worried once again as you might guess.
The road to recovery just got a little longer it seems...

Wish me luck folks, appears I need a little more to beat this thing...
Matt
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Your Doc sounds like he knows his stuff Matt.
Have a faith in him!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Hang in there bud ....you have been thru a lot
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
frodo baggins

Post by frodo baggins »

Looks like your in good hands.Best of luck
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

nchunterkw wrote:Wow. I've been pretty much off line a llt and just saw all of this. I'm glad things are getting better, and have prayed for the complete healing of your eye.
I also hope the rifle deal works out for you, but if not, well then a Grizz at 25yds with your crossbow would ...umm....probably be an aerobic experience (i.e. get the heart rate up just a tiny bit). :D

Keith
Keith, before being an 'aerobic' experience I believe it would be an 'AROMATIC' experience....as in pooping in pants! :shock: :lol:
Matt, hang in there buddy. We're all rootin for ya! I can't imagine the stress you're under but just remember your doc is the best of the best! :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:... Matt, hang in there buddy. We're all rootin for ya! I can't imagine the stress you're under but just remember your doc is the best of the best! :wink:
The anxiety level is about as high as I ever wish to entertain Buddy! :shock:

The surgeon is indeed pretty much The Best in North America. Got Lucky when I landed in his hands, as he has developed many of these procedures and is right on the leading edge of his field. And, he remains optimistic for returning a good smattering of my vision down the road. I MUST focus on those two points to keep from going over the edge as it were.

The impending hunt is perhaps the least of my worries at this point. It will either happen or it won't, and I am reasonably certain there will be the odd future hunt in store for me down the road.

Just so damn BORED, which of course leaves time to worry. Not used to simply sitting around, but they have pretty much got me chained down these days. Starting to feel for my poor Lady and putting up with the world's "best" patient! :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words folks! Still room for hope, and I am committed to seeing this thing all the way through...

Cheers,
Nog
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

IronNoggin wrote:
Just so damn BORED, which of course leaves time to worry. Not used to simply sitting around, but they have pretty much got me chained down these days. Starting to feel for my poor Lady and putting up with the world's "best" patient! :lol:
Time to write the book. You are good storyteller.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Fazan wrote:
IronNoggin wrote:
Time to write the book. You are good storyteller.
X2 on the book!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen