leupold 1-4X20 vs 2-7X33

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alanr

leupold 1-4X20 vs 2-7X33

Post by alanr »

I am trying to decide between a leupold 1-4X20 and a leupold 2-7X33 to put on my 350SE would appreciate any opinions. thanks Alan
flightattendant100

Re: leupold 1-4X20 vs 2-7X33

Post by flightattendant100 »

The 1-4x20 Heavy Duplex (shotgun) is my favorite hunting scope. It is small, light, Leupold has the weight issue figured out, and very bright and clear like all Leupold's. It is "THE" bargain in quality scopes as far as I am concerned. You can get one, if you watch ,for a buck or two less than two bills to your door.
With that said, I know Danny Miller likes the 2-7x. It too is a great scope, just a tad bigger and a few oz. heavier. It offers more magnification, if you need or want that.
I own two of the 1-4x's and don't have a single complaint. I think your question and choice is a win-win deal. Either way you will love it!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I had a 2-7x33 heavy duplex on my Phoenix, but switched it to my muzzleloader and replaced it with a 1-4x20 VXII (regular duplex). I like the 1-4x20 on the crossbow better than the 2-7x33. No need for much magnification, and it's more compact.
I also prefer the regular duplex to the heavy duplex, but that's just a personal choice. IMO if it's too dark to see the regular duplex it's too dark to be shooting at game. Under normal conditions it's no problem for me to see the crosshairs during legal shooting hours.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the VX1 2x7 shotgun scope n i like it. I am goin to get the 1x4 model next, i can see the heavy duplex much better wid my old tired eyes. Either one will certainly work well
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If price wasn't an issue I'd choose the 2-7×33.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

paulaboutform wrote:If price wasn't an issue I'd choose the 2-7×33.

Paul
Agreed, but if going that route, IMHO you might as well just get a crossbones because it has the ballistic reticle and the same glass.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

alanr as you can see even as members n crossbow owners n hunters we have abit diff in our likes. 2 reasons i did not go wid the Crossbones, one i don't need the extra yardage marks 2 my Heavy duplex shows me a great sight picture that does not fade until its past legal shootin light. I am sighted in at 30 yds xhair n top leg joint is 20 yds bottom leg joint is 40 yds. I don't have to change power n i have it set on 5x when i did my sight in
Half Bubble Off BD360

alanr

Post by alanr »

Does the 2-7 provide a much larger field of view at say 30 - 40 yards than the 1-4? thanks again alan
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

alanr wrote:Does the 2-7 provide a much larger field of view at say 30 - 40 yards than the 1-4? thanks again alan
I am no scope expert by any means. I have and use the 2 x 7 scope. I love it on my 355. I am actually kicking around getting the 2 x 7 VXR for my Bulldog. I copied the following information from Leupolds web site to help answer your question and also to help in my decision making process for getting a new Leupold for my Bulldog 380. Hope this information helps.

Objective Lens Diameter
Obviously, exit pupil depends on magnification and objective lens diameter. If magnification is increased, exit pupil will decrease, unless the objective lens diameter increases proportionally. 50mm-objective riflescopes will deliver a larger exit pupil and a brighter image in poor light than a similarly powered scope with a smaller objective. Of course, there are tradeoffs with a 50mm scope: higher mounting, greater weight and bulk, and a higher line of sight in relation to the bore line. All of these factors must be considered when deciding on a scope for your style of shooting. In most cases, a scope that delivers a 3.5-5mm exit pupil at a comfortable magnification will be more than adequate for most hunts.
Something else to remember is that contrary to common belief, a larger objective lens does not increase the field of view of a riflescope. It only increases the amount of light entering the scope, and, in the case of scopes using slightly less capable components, it will increase the “sweet spot” at the optical center of the lens, making images appear sharper and more crisp in the center of the field of view.

Here is the link to the web page. https://www.leupold.com/resources/the-r ... e-for-you/
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

alanr wrote:Does the 2-7 provide a much larger field of view at say 30 - 40 yards than the 1-4? thanks again alan
No the 1x4 will give you a larger field of view. Now at the low end power 1 vs 2 is very close but as the power goes up the field of view grows smaller. I think the 1x4 on a shorter yardage model would be prime! Say 40 yds max, if'en you go out farther then the 2x7 would be better as the yardage grows so does the field of view :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

alanr

Post by alanr »

Any opinions on a 1-4X20 with turkey plex reticule for deer hunting? thanks alan
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

alanr wrote:Any opinions on a 1-4X20 with turkey plex reticule for deer hunting? thanks alan
For hunting, I like a simple straight forward reticle. ( the fewer aiming points you have the less likely you might be to use the wrong one.) Vixenmaster has voiced his like for the heavy duplex as I have, for much the same reasons. The turkey plex is busier than I like, but will give you some additional aiming points. The heavy duplex ,I do think ,adds to the time that you can hunt, early and late. I know that there are some forum members that really like the turkey plex though.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Turkey Plex vs Heavy Duplex ends up more of a personal choice. I also like a simple fast reticle, heavy duplex. I knowed my xhair is 30 yds it never changes, my upper leg joint is always 20 yds n lower is 40 yds. I don't have to sort thru anything its jus there. I can't tell you which is best fer you only you can tell :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

Post by newbie »

I have the Mark AR mod1 with the APE firedot 1.5x4x20 mm on both of my micros. I absolutely love them. small bright perfect short range hunting scope.
I prefer the SPR (which is similar to the turkey plex) over the duplex. It gives me multiple aim points if I choose. The circle helps find and center my on my target as well. I do set it up for 30 yard zero and o have aim points from 10 to 60.
For hunting I just use the firedot as my farthest shot is 35 yards.
I'm in the small scope fan club.... Paul tried hard to convert me to a vortex but I can't put a scope on my bow that is longer then my arrows :lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:I have the Mark AR mod1 with the APE firedot 1.5x4x20 mm on both of my micros. I absolutely love them. small bright perfect short range hunting scope.
I prefer the SPR (which is similar to the turkey plex) over the duplex. It gives me multiple aim points if I choose. The circle helps find and center my on my target as well. I do set it up for 30 yard zero and o have aim points from 10 to 60.
For hunting I just use the firedot as my farthest shot is 35 yards.
I'm in the small scope fan club.... Paul tried hard to convert me to a vortex but I can't put a scope on my bow that is longer then my arrows :lol:
It's only longer with the sunshade attached. :lol: :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.