Hawke XB30 Pro sr?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timmypo1

Hawke XB30 Pro sr?

Post by Timmypo1 »

Is it normal for the speed ring to be WAYYY off? My Micro 355 is shooting 333 fps and the scope has to be on 290 for for the yard incriminates to work.
Micro 355
Normous

Re: Hawke XB30 Pro sr?

Post by Normous »

This is normal, the speed ring is not a true indicator or measurement of speed. The speed ring actually controls the variable power or magnification of the scope, the speed numbers are just a rough estimate or setting guide.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

Normous wrote:This is normal, the speed ring is not a true indicator or measurement of speed. The speed ring actually controls the variable power or magnification of the scope, the speed numbers are just a rough estimate or setting guide.
Just seems a little "rougher" than I'd of guessed on a fairly expensive scope. My tac-zone and the redhot that came on my Parker were both almost spot on. That leads me to believe that manufacturing something close to spec should be do able. Are others seeing them as far off as 40 fps? I'm not too worried about numbers not lining up, but if something's not right on the scope and I could be pulling more magnification, I'd prefer it. Eyes aren't too good...
Micro 355
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Seems a bit excessive in this particular case ... I have XB-30's on both my Micro 335 and Matrix 380 and both are much closer to where the cronograph indicates they should be...

However, these are awesome scopes and I would love another for my Matrix 350 in place of the Crossbones its now wearing, which is also an excellent scope but my eyes are at the point where I'm really appreciating the illuminated "Etched" recticle on the XB 30.

If you get it dialed in at your normal shooting distances and it's "On" thru-out the range of distances you shoot I'd be happy and call it good. :wink:

As said the speed dial is only there as a referance indicatior.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Alot depends on how heavy of an arrow you are shooting. Also, are you perfectly zeroed at exactly 20yds? Hawke has a good app for your phone that can show you the exact ballistics of your arrow. It will also show you how to calculate the ballistic coefficient of your arrow so you can be accurate. i have found it very helpful. Good luck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

What is the configuration of your arrow? High drag arrows will use lower #s than actual launch speed and visa versa.
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

SEW wrote:What is the configuration of your arrow? High drag arrows will use lower #s than actual launch speed and visa versa.
I'm shooting BEE arows made for the micro from wyvern creations. Brass inserts and 100 grain point. Arrows cut down to 15 3/4. 398 grains total. 333 fps.
Micro 355
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Timmypo1 wrote:
SEW wrote:What is the configuration of your arrow? High drag arrows will use lower #s than actual launch speed and visa versa.
I'm shooting BEE arows made for the micro from wyvern creations. Brass inserts and 100 grain point. Arrows cut down to 15 3/4. 398 grains total. 333 fps.
What fletching?.....That will contribute most to drag as SEW says
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

Timmypo1 wrote:
The primary sources of drag on an arrow are the type of fletching and the the type of configuration. Most drag - feathers, and extreme helical. Least - low profile, stiff vanes, straight fletch. The highest drag will have the most control for high profile fixed BHs. The lowest will only stabilize field points and very low profile expandable broadheads(Schwackers and FOCs, others -?). Many use an in between setup such as Blazers/Helical, SK300s in offset, SK200s in helical. I think SK300s in offset are ideal. Very stiff, quiet in flight, low drag, etc. I, like many, use the Bolt fletcher and just use Blazers/helical for everything. It's a different story if ordering from Jerry at SSAS (or his new name).