OT: Why do you kill deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: OT: Why do you kill deer?

Post by paulaboutform »

Mike, I think I may have been unclear in my statement. I agree with what you're saying and a successful hunt doesn't necessarily mean game on the ground. My point was that I make no apologies for being a hunter and my goal is to put game on the ground. That being said, hunting trips don't HAVE to end with game on the ground to be successful. I also appreciate time afield and with friends and loved ones. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boo wrote:I kill deer because I don't think they'll let me eat them while they're alive. :mrgreen:
Sooooo your saying that you never tried it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Boo wrote:I kill deer because I don't think they'll let me eat them while they're alive. :mrgreen:
Sooooo your saying that you never tried it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just pictured my false teeth doing the cartoon biting thing chasing a deer across the field. :lol: :lol: :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I started shooting because it was cool as heck, (the gear and shooting a bow) I made the leap to hunting because it seemed like the logical next step and was not sure if I had it in me, but since I use the animal it does not bother me. Now I rely on the meat to supplement what we get at the store
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I killed so many deer over the years that l can honestly say that l just love being in the stand .l will not kill a buck unless its a trophy l average a trophy every 3 years l give 90 percent of the meat l harvest to a good friend who truely loves deer meat .l shoot about 3 doe a year for him. I mostly smoke and make jerkey and sausage with what meat l do use. l dont really care for deer meat over beef. ....hunting and fishing has kept me very buisy and out of trouble for 50 years im still married ,not an alcoholic or a criminal .dont need a councilor or a shrink same phone number same address just boring predictible joe ....thats why l hunt deer
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

longbow joe wrote:I killed so many deer over the years that l can honestly say that l just love being in the stand .l will not kill a buck unless its a trophy l average a trophy every 3 years l give 90 percent of the meat l harvest to a good friend who truely loves deer meat .l shoot about 3 doe a year for him. I mostly smoke and make jerkey and sausage with what meat l do use. l dont really care for deer meat over beef. ....hunting and fishing has kept me very buisy and out of trouble for 50 years im still married ,not an alcoholic or a criminal .dont need a councilor or a shrink same phone number same address just boring predictible joe ....thats why l hunt deer
Joe, I wish you lived closer to me or that I had a friend that would put a couple deer in my freezer every season! :mrgreen:

Paul
rayman

Post by rayman »

Because it is fun and we get to put up a bunch of meat each year. :)
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I think its VERY important for a person to learn outdoor skills that make it possible to kill a deer. I never push a kid into the actual act.

Some of the best hunters I've met now use a camera.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Why?

To Eat :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I was brought up around hunting and got hooked at an early age. I enjoyed hunting every game animal alouded. I learned to cook everything I shot. I'm hooked on Deer hunting. I enjoy the entire part of scouting, stand placement and harvesting (killing) of the Deer. Now that older I'm trying to get the youth more involved in to the sport of hunting. Plus they taste good too. Like Big John said about shooting Bucks I have let a lot go that most people would shoot in a heart beat. I also manage properties,which I shoot a lot of Does and I fill my friends freezers and also donate to Hunters Feeding The Hungry. It's a great tradition that I want to pass on.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

I started deer hunting with some college buddies in the early 70's; didn't grow up in a hunting family/tradition but i have been doing it ever since and getting a xbow has certainly rekindled my passion for the hunt. I don't stick my hunting beliefs in the anti's faces but make no apologies when confronted. however, i watched a somewhat depressing show on pbs's "nature" the other week about a guy on a ranch (montana? wyoming?) who virtually became a member of a mule deer herd. while it was filmed & narrated & spliced together like a pbs nature show, it wasn't done by some woman from new york living in a yurt out west trying to save the wolves. it kinda made me rethink the whole killing thing again because i don't HAVE to hunt. what i concluded though is that i do have to eat and that broccoli just isn't going to cut it. i guess it's like the whole american indian hunting prayer thing (how true is that? or is that pbs propaganda as well?) where they apologise for the kill because they need to eat & let's face it, venison is pretty tasty. well, whatever. heading up to camp this next week for maintenance and to get the the new arrows sighted in on the 350. conscience dilemma resolved.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Because its a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot them than to keep hitting them with my vehicles. They're going to die one way or the other and most likely be eaten by something. I'd prefer that be humans and not the coyotes or buzzards because they certainly aren't starving.

I put 6-10 per season on the ground because the landowner that allows me to hunt on his land wants me to 'kill'em all'. Between the hunters for the hungry program and extended family that loves summer sausage nothing goes to waste.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I must admit, I'm leaning towards Boo's answer. "They just won't let me eat them while they're living!" :lol: ...that cracks me up! :mrgreen:

Paul
mfh

Post by mfh »

- Relaxation. Hunting brings happiness harvest or not. Life brings stress...hunting gives an opportunity to relax. Nothing like the woods coming alive or going to sleep at the start or end of a day...working and planning a hunt to get a shot adds further enjoyment. Like the age old "abad day on the lake beats an o.k. day at the office." And I do like my job...just like relaxing better!

- Harvest. We have taught the family about the cycle of life through hunting. Meat is free if you accept the gear and time costs as the cost of relaxation. Gets cheaper each year I stay out of a Cabelas...but this is my hobby, so those costs are sunk. I don't golf. Therefore...the meat is free.

- Friendships. Through hunting deer I have met many good people. Hard to cost that out.
janesy

Post by janesy »

mfh wrote:- Relaxation. Hunting brings happiness harvest or not. Life brings stress...hunting gives an opportunity to relax. Nothing like the woods coming alive or going to sleep at the start or end of a day...working and planning a hunt to get a shot adds further enjoyment. Like the age old "abad day on the lake beats an o.k. day at the office." And I do like my job...just like relaxing better!

- Harvest. We have taught the family about the cycle of life through hunting. Meat is free if you accept the gear and time costs as the cost of relaxation. Gets cheaper each year I stay out of a Cabelas...but this is my hobby, so those costs are sunk. I don't golf. Therefore...the meat is free.

- Friendships. Through hunting deer I have met many good people. Hard to cost that out.

Truer words have not been spoken. I raise my coffee this morning to that!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme