OT: Why do you kill deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pintail

Re: OT: Why do you kill deer?

Post by Pintail »

Taking deer or any kind of hunting is more food for the soul then it is for the stomach. Hunting is a way of life, without it there is an emptiness that one cannot describe. The preparation, the hunt itself, the taking of game and the bonding between friends and family make the activity the highlight of each and every year.
Have crossbows will travel
Jack Pine

Post by Jack Pine »

For meat, and for revenge. Revenge for what they've cost me in damage to my fruit trees.
I became a treehugger the day my climber slipped.
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

I hunt and Kill what we eat, deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, dove, grouse, quail(though the last 2 hard to find round here). Bear never ate it so don't hunt. I also keep large mouth bass and small mouth, trout, bluegill, crappie, walleye catfish. Redeyes when running in the river. I will kill nuisance animals coyote, coon, possum, skunk(everyone I see) fox..if they are a nuisance to me otherwise I watch them and love seeing them.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
rayman

Post by rayman »

FORVOLS wrote: Redeyes when running in the river.
Curious. What we call redeyes (slang term) in NC Florida are recognized as stump knockers or spotted sunfish. Small but thick river bream that are very good for those who don't mind a small bream fried whole. :)
maple

Post by maple »

Cause I love 'em.

Fried, BBQ'd roasted, sauted, grilled, poached, stewed, burgered, skewered, tartare, sausages, sharing with neighbours and family, enjoying one of the remaining good things in life.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

rayman wrote:
FORVOLS wrote: Redeyes when running in the river.
Curious. What we call redeyes (slang term) in NC Florida are recognized as stump knockers or spotted sunfish. Small but thick river bream that are very good for those who don't mind a small bream fried whole. :)

The redeyes here are a type of sunfish also. Pretty good to eat most not real big but fight good on ultralight gear. In the spring you can catch some really good ones moving up river to spawn I guess. Same thing happens with the bluegills. There was an old mill dam where I grew up the bluegill and redeye would stack up at the over flow catch one after the other and big ones too.

The Redeye bass (Micropterus coosae) is a species of freshwater fish in the sunfish family (Centrarchidae) native to the Coosa River system of Georgia, Alabama. The waters it is normally found in are cool streams and rivers in the foothills of mountains.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, my buddy had an older brother that was a Vietnam Veteran. He was 9 years older than us, and when he came home, we admired him. We started fishing, & hunting with Dale, and his buddy Ken. I was addicted from day one. When they moved to Alabama, I had nobody to hunt with until I met my Wife's uncle. Addiction reignited! I was in my early 20's then, and the passion was for meat more than trophies, and the friendships that were made with like minded folks. Now, it's more about making sure the young folks continue the passion, and I have brought 5 people into the sport that have as much, or more passion as I do about feeding the hungry, culling the herd, and just getting out in the woods.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!