Crows ain't all that smart !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Crows ain't all that smart !

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have always read and heard how smart crows are and how hard it may be to take one, but until tonight had never given it a try....

After putting the Wife and Grandson on a plane for Key West and not being able to find the M/C keys to enjoy a quite ride. :roll:

I noticed large numbers of crows who vist our area yearly around this time of year.. I even wathched 4 chasing a red-tailed hawk over our cabin ( home actually ) so grabbed the Fox Pro and CZ 17 HMR Varmit rimfire to give it a first attempt... I scrolled down to the Dying crow call and gave it a try. 4 shots and 10 or so minutes later, 3 had hit the ground from the tops of several of our 80' or so tall Douglass fir trees...

What fun :wink: looking forward to tomorrow for a possible repeat?

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Czy_Horse

Re: Crows ain't all that smart !

Post by Czy_Horse »

Got an Owl decoy? I've heard stories of shooting crows until they were out of shells.
Recently I had a group of 4 pestering my dog & cat. Got 1 off the top of the barn with the 22. Week or so later blew one up with the 25-06 about 350 yds out in the field. Have not seen the other 2 since :D.

Czy_Horse
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pretty exciting getting on a fly way and having 200 to 300 crows all circling around over head squawking. Used to do a lot of crow hunting. Never shoot the first crow in as he is the lookout for all the other crows to know it is safe to land. I have about 25 decoy crows. Have not been out in a couple years. It is a lot of fun. CHEERS!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have shot a few in my time. Usin a shotgun a few will fall from the sky then they seen to learn how fer up to fly around n let you sky-bust :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
grouse

Post by grouse »

Since we all eat what we kill, please share your favorite crow recipe. I've heard the best way to cook crow is to pick the feathers off and pack the carcass in mud then bake for 2 hours and throw the crow away and eat the mud.
axiom
350 SE
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've certainly eaten some crow in my day and it's never very palatable. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have ate my share of Crow pie, now i jus pile them up fer the possum's to eat :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

. Used to do a lot of crow hunting. Never shoot the first crow in as he is the lookout for all the other crows

So true on the look out crow. Once I figured out how to hide from him and not be tempted to shoot,he would circle the area and if he didn't see you he would return with the flock. Dang that was fun . Brought back good memories.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Paul,

Perhaps there is a way i can freeze these up and get them to you at Boo Fest.... I'm wondering what type of sausage could be made from these and served up to Anthony at the event..... Maybe if dressed up and served in a "Hot Pank" napkin ? :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier