BOW vs GUN Kill on Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FORVOLS

BOW vs GUN Kill on Deer

Post by FORVOLS »

So if you take a deer with a bow giving the hemorrhaging vs taking with a gun where its more of a impact wound. Have you guys detected any difference in the meat bleed out kill vs a impact? I have not still think how the animal is processed is more important. I do my own processing.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
Bcxbow

Re: BOW vs GUN Kill on Deer

Post by Bcxbow »

I have found that the final product depends on how quickly any animal is field dressed, thouroly cleaned and cooled. IMO it does not matter what method is used to dispatch them.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

All except one of the deer I have shot with a rifle or shotgun have been clean chest shots with zero meat damage. The one deer that did see some meat damage dead immediately and the leg was basically removed prior to dressing. So there would really have been now difference I could tell.

Now I have yet to kill with my crossbows, but my friend fills his freezer each year with his bow. So between my rifle/slug shot and his cross bow deer, the only difference that can be tasted is the hemlock wild flavour that set up north tend to have. Compared to the grain feed deer of southern Ontario. But, I should mention, both his and my deer are hung and skinned as soon as possible, and processed by the same guy.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Too many variables to give an accurate answer. I've killed more deer with my compound bow than anything. Next is my rifle and one muledeer with my crossbow. It really depends on where they're hit and the aftercare. That's about as much as I can offer.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree with you. I haven't really noticed a difference in taste or look of the meat. Most everything I harvest is vacuum packed and in the freezer before I go to bed. So needless to say, the time from field to freezer is quite short. Shot placement does make a difference though regardless of the weapon. On the hard quartering away shots, you can sometimes get a little more 'special sauce' than you'd like. :lol: If you can keep things in the rib cage, life is just a lot cleaner and so is the meat.

My son bagged one that we still refer to as 'The Chili Deer'. It was not a pleasant experience field dressing that one. :oops:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

paulaboutform wrote:Too many variables to give an accurate answer. I've killed more deer with my compound bow than anything. Next is my rifle and one muledeer with my crossbow. It really depends on where they're hit and the aftercare. That's about as much as I can offer.

Paul
Absolutely!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

gut skin and cool it down ASAP will make a difference.... method used to dispatch.... nope.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

newbie wrote:gut skin and cool it down ASAP will make a difference.... method used to dispatch.... nope.
very true :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
grouse

Post by grouse »

I shot 2 deer with my crossbow last year and one with my rifle. They were all processed at the same shop and packaged the same way. I put them in the same freezer and didn't keep any of them separated so I never know which deer a package comes from. They all taste the same to me.

I think that a chest shot deer dies mostly from hemorrhaging whether it is shot with a bow or gun. A bullet doesn't usually hit anything in a chest cavity that will absorb much energy to create a lot of shock. Most chest cavity shot deer, regardless of weapon, will have a blood filled cavity.
axiom
350 SE
rayman

Post by rayman »

All other factors being equal, I've not noticed a difference in the quality of the meat between deer being killed by bow, rifle, or wife's vehicle. Big difference in price tag between bolt/broad head, rifle shell, and insurance deductible though. :)