Full Metal Jackets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xs109c2

Full Metal Jackets

Post by xs109c2 »

Has anybody tried Easton's Full Metal Jacket Bolts? Look cool but seem heavy?
Excaliber Exocet & Relayer25
Ten Point Phantom
longbow joe

Re: Full Metal Jackets

Post by longbow joe »

They are really heavy hitters with a heavy grain per inch. You need the easton brass inserts for the shaft or simply use a heavy head (175) grain to get a good foc or you wont get the accuracy they are capable of. In my opinion l moved on to the zombies i think there just as tough more accurate and you have more insert options. I was a life long easton shaft shooter but lm finding the zombies to be pretty hard to beat in a crossbow. What im saying is that the alluminum outer wall is really not an advantage in my opinion as far as durability.
Last edited by longbow joe on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

They shoot just fine out of my 355!
Ask this buck what he thought of them!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

They are a good arrow when trying to make a heavy arrow for large game. I have used them on bison. Zombie's and Executioner's come in at 9GPI, while the FMJ is around 14 GPI, so you can get a much heavier arrow. FWIW the GT Nitro is also a 14 GPI arrow but it is full carbon.

IMO they are not worth it for deer, but if you are going after something bigger, then they are a good choice. However, with that Al outer shell, I have bent a few.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As NCHunter said, the fmj's are an awesome heavy hitting arrow and the aluminum outer makes them easy peasy to pull from targets. Years ago, when I was an insane hunter and highly competitive in 3D internationally, I used an fmj with a slick trick on my longest archery shot on an Alberta Mule Deer. I was very impressed! Soon after I ended up giving my fmj's away because I was finding bent arrows. Even with the carbon core I found them to still act like aluminum. That's my experience.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I bought a M405 last year, new to crossbows I thought I needed a heavy arrow like I used with my compound. I found some FMJ on sale on the Internet and bought them They are 22 inches long, Very heavy, I use a 150 grain tip, slow it down to 352f/s. At 50 yards they produce tight groups though but still drop quit a bit. My thinking was the extra weight should absorb more energy from the 405 limbs therefore reducing noise and vibration. My M405 (refurbished) was sent from Cabelas with cracked limb tips so I thought maybe the lighter arrow was the cause. So far I like them but am thinking of cutting them down to 20inches.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain