Seeking honest reviews on HHA OPTIMIZER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

22LR

Seeking honest reviews on HHA OPTIMIZER

Post by 22LR »

Anyone own use one on their crossbow? I have been looking at them for some time now. I have ordered one and should be here soon. Thanks in advance!
Excalibur Vortex
Nikon Bolt XR 3x32mm scope
Gold Tip laser III bolts
Assortment of broadheads
Ten point Stealth FX4
HHA OPTIMIZER/Hawke optimizer 3x32mm scope
Ten point pro elite bolts
Bcxbow

Re: Seeking honest reviews on HHA OPTIMIZER

Post by Bcxbow »

I have been using the optimizer for a couple of years now and I couldn't be happier with its performance. The main thing is to make sure that you do the initial site in at 20 & 60 yards from a very stable bench rest to choose the correct yardage/speed tape. Also remember if you are using a variable powered multi reticle scope that you must set it first and leave the variable power setting alone after that. I hope you enjoy your knew addition as much as I have mine because IMO it is one of the best accessories I have ever purchased.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I have recently put one of these on my 380....Paulaboutform put it on and sighted it in for me at Boofest....bought for Boofest and the 100yd monster shoot....excellent addition if you are a long range shooter....I will not put it on my 335 because most of my shots in the woods are within 35 yards and I do not feel it is really necessary for that....that might change but that is my take right now!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have been using one on my Matrix for three years now and they are very effective tools for both target shooting and hunting. I use a range, dial, shoot approach when hunting situations allow. I like knowing that the animal is standing at exactly 37 yards and I have more confidence in the execution of the shot when I can dial to exactly 37 yards. I like how I can use any magnification without it impacting my POI. For 100y shooting, I have seen no better system. I use a Leupold VXR 3-9x40mm with a duplex reticle and the parallax is adjusted to 75y. For hunting, mag is set at 3x but for bench work it's nice to have the ability to zoom into your target. I recommend nothing smaller than a 2-7x.

There are some serious drawbacks. Weight, cheek-weld, user error and fragility are among them so be prepared. I have found that these disadvantages can be mitigated and I recommend the product.

Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Racking Up Points is absolutely correct about the "oops factor" because if you have the dial set any where other than zero (20yds) and use any reticle other than 20 yards on your scope the poi will be drastically different then expected.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Well my thoughts are from a non-owner. I have not wanted an HHA for some of the reasons above. No cheek weld but a Chin weld or build a really tall cheek piece, and scope high enough it is much more fragile. I have gone to extremes to NOT have an HHA. But....Last weekend at the Boofest 100, I got an education. If you are going to shoot 100 yrds. it is THE way to go. Now if 75 yrds. is tops the the Zeiss XB75 is another option, but it has the drawback of being set at a particular power and that power is fairly low.
Like all compromises, you give up something to gain something. You will have to deal with the height issue, and they probably are a bit more fragile than without an HHA.
I came away a believer in them and I was absolutely not before. They were on EVERY bow to beat there! It was that simple. No scope to my knowledge ( maybe the Huskema?) has enough elevation adjustment to get that distance, and the scopes with a reticle that goes to 100, have a pretty busy reticle and must be shot on fairly low power.
I am not thinking that the HHA is for everyone or every situation but they do excel in the longer distance shoots.( Just thoughts from a non owner)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I agree with Rackingupoiunts completely. This is my fourth year and I love it.if you drop or roll the bow onto the scope check your zero because it may be enough to nock it out of wack.I addressed the cheek weld issue by adding a Tourbon Adjustable Cheekpiece. It simply straps on and you can use the appropriate internal foam insert to fit your needs perfectly. I use mine for long range target, hunting and 3D. The one VERY IMPORTANT thing to know is that if you have the ADF (anti dry fire) on your bow you will need the two small extension brackets to extend your speed dial outward or your Optimizer won't fit correctly. I also highly recommend this product.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have had one on my Vixen for several years. If i were only using my bow for hunting i wouldn't bother. I wanted it mainly for 3D shooting. If it's correctly set up it can let you know immediately if your range estimation is off and so help you improve your scores

As for the 100 yd shooting... my slower xbow's hha dial doesn't go that high.

I agree with the comments by Paul about the cheek weld.... I end up with a jaw weld even with a cheekpiece on my stock.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.

Post by newbie »

I nevwr wanted one before..... Derrick and Paul seem to k ow how to get me to spend my money.
I am on a search for a HHA and a scope to put on it.
Thanks AGAIN you two :lol:
This will be for a target bow. for hunting i dont see how it could improve upon my Mark AR firedot.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:I nevwr wanted one before..... Derrick and Paul seem to k ow how to get me to spend my money.
I am on a search for a HHA and a scope to put on it.
Thanks AGAIN you two :lol:
This will be for a target bow. for hunting i dont see how it could improve upon my Mark AR firedot.
....yea, those guys, along with Jeff have a way of MAKING YOU spend money that you do not need to.....BTW Mikey, I am gonna throw you in that mix too....you just reminded me about the Leupold VR-Firedot which I was just getting over :evil:....for the new "x" bow that I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of.....lets just say it uses capture nocks :shock:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
22LR

Post by 22LR »

Thanks for the advice!
Excalibur Vortex
Gold Tip laser III bolts
Assortment of broadheads
Ten point Stealth FX4
22LR

Post by 22LR »

I plan to only use it out to 60 yards for practice. Maybe out to 50 yards for hunting... I'm putting it on my Ten point Stealth FX4 shooting a 454.5 grain bolt at around 330fps
Excalibur Vortex
Gold Tip laser III bolts
Assortment of broadheads
Ten point Stealth FX4
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've used the Optimizer since it came out. I have one each on my M405 and BD400. For shooting beyond 60 yards and for very low light with a good or better scope, they have no equal. Of course, there are compromises; but for me, the positives greatly outweigh the cons. For daytime hunting and 70 yds or less, I prefer the XB75.
figam

Post by figam »

Pros: extremely accurate, must be used with rangefinder for best results.
Gave me great confidence to know I could hit exactly where I aimed. Shot Five deer with it last year--58yds, 56yds, 51yds, 44yds and 17 yds.
Easy to use except in low light, can't see dial to set distance, installed small green lensed hat light with scope ring (all modified) whitch works well.
Cons: Have to ensure scope adjusts down when lowered from a long distance setting--sometimes hangs up.
Must handle with some care--do not lean against wall with scope touching as it can move the setting. Likewise don't put items on top of it(scope). Always check setting when arriving as you do when hunting with a rifle.

Summary: Have upgraded to Matrix 355. Installed same on it. Am amazed how much it has helped me in that I do not have to "split the difference when shooting.
Steve Gardner
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I have 2 of them on both crossbows one for me and one for my wife, we both use rifle scopes with single crosshairs. I usually shoot 3 D competition all summer with a vertical bow with a single pin dialing in to the exact yardage with no holdover and I love it. So for my crossbow I do the same thing. I like aiming at the exact spot I want my arrow to hit. My wife loves it also because she doesn't like getting confused to which mark in the scope she should aim through. I usually set mine up for the area I'm hunting. For example if my average shots are between 20-30 yards I set my dial on 25 and move it if I need to. I'm sure they're not for everyone especially because they're not cheap but they're definitely keepers for us. Good Luck with your decision.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads