flat nock or moon nock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

flat nock or moon nock

Post by elkaholic »

kinda thought I'd ask

I've only shot flat nocks from my exo

It seems this is the only (excaliburs) crossbow I know of that states/ requires flat nocks

I've read other sites that state it doesn't matter -shooting moon nocks is ok if aligned correctlyso I guess y question do any of u shoot moon nocks or both ? or only flat
this is all I could find in print

Moon nocks or flat nocks. What kind of nock should I shoot? The correct answer is whatever your crossbow manufacturer recommends. There is however, one exception to the rule. If your crossbow manufacture recommends you to shoot flat nocks, it will not hurt your crossbow to shoot an arrow with a moon nock, as long as you pay special attention to the nock orientation. The groove in the moon nock must sit horizontally when the arrow is sitting on the flight rail to allow proper alignment with the crossbow string. Failure to do so can result in a partial dry fire damaging your crossbow, or worse, possibly injuring yourself. On the flip side, if your crossbow manufacturer recommends you to shoot moon nocks, you do not want to shoot flat nocks. Flat nocks fired from a crossbow that requires moon nocks may result in a partial dry fire of your crossbow. This is because the string can jump over the flat nock, whereas the moon nock keeps the string centered in the back of the arrow, the full length of
jody5252

Re: flat nock or moon nock

Post by jody5252 »

DO NOT USE MOON NOCKS ON ANY EXCALIBUR CROSSBOW! You even seen what the manufacturer recommends. Why are you questioning it?? They know what they are doing here. Tried and true, extensive testing. The people that try to tell you that it is ok to use a moon nock on an excal bow is full of sh$#! Follow instructions and you will not have any issues regarding the nocks...
Last edited by jody5252 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Tom

Post by Tom »

Moon or 1/2 moon nocs can cause problems, if you do not place the cocked feather down, this places an edge against your string when you fire the bow. This can cause your string to be cut.

Why would you want to complicate matters with another step.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I'm using a capture nock from my Matrix 410 and they work great. Obviously if I nock the arrow incorrectly the damage is on me but so far so good. I'm not recommending them, but I use them effectively. In other words, it can be done but should it be?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I use what Excal tells me to use and that is a flat nock . Using anything other then a flat nock could damage you and the bow. Use the nocks that came on the arrows that came with the crossbow .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Flat nocks only for me. If I need to nock an arrow in dim light or if I need to nock one quickly there is no need to worry about orienting the nock.
wabi
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

I can remember watching Babe Winkleman outdoors. And He was showcasing Excalibur crossbows. With moon nocks on his arrows. I always thought that was strange. Like who set you his bow up for him. On TV /Cable show.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Here's the thing, if your string isn't sitting dead center in the perfect middle of your moon nock, your arrow will want to either come upward in the front or upward in the back depending on where your string/nock alignment is. It's for this reason that flat nocks are recommended with the excals. Also keep in mind, many long range shooters here (me included) have been able to achieve sub 2" groups with flat nocks at 100yards. I don't suspect you could do much better with a moon nock.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:Here's the thing, if your string isn't sitting dead center in the perfect middle of your moon nock, your arrow will want to either come upward in the front or upward in the back depending on where your string/nock alignment is. It's for this reason that flat nocks are recommended with the excals. Also keep in mind, many long range shooters here (me included) have been able to achieve sub 2" groups with flat nocks at 100yards. I don't suspect you could do much better with a moon nock.

Paul
Paul,
I like this post, and it makes sense. Still, 5 years ago, when I first got my M380, I put on my Optimizer and a 36x Leupold benchrest scope to see what it'd do. Got arrows from Big John with the requested moon nocks. 100 yds - slightly better than 1 1/2" 3-shot groups using good rests(#13/Hart windage adjustable rest). Then I tried flat nocks - got the same. Then mixed and matched nocks - the same.
I've gone to flat Lumenocks.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

great imput of advise -

thanks guys

I had planned on staying with the flat nocks !