Slick Trick blade orientation

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Slick Trick blade orientation

Post by ThunderXB »

I'm going to use 100 gr 4 blade Slick Trick Magnums for my bear hunt this fall and was curious to see what the consensus was for blade alignment.

12/3/6/9 or 1:30/4:30/7:30/10:30 ???

Using BE Zombies out of one of my 405's.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
longbow joe

Re: Slick Trick blade orientation

Post by longbow joe »

Ive shot and tested em a lot. Dont worry about orientation ...lts not a factor at all. Really dosnt matter.Just shoot one with dull blades if it shoots well put on a new set of blades and shoot with confidence.lf it were 4 fletch maby match with fletch but its still analish. Good luck l found out im going on a bear hunt today also im stoked !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've slicks out of my compounds for years and I've never found a difference in poi related to blade orientation. Crossbows, especially excals are a different animal. I do believe that everything being square and true will equal perfect results. Having said that, if I had a choice I would pick the 12, 3, 6, 9 pattern only because my ocd dictates perfect symmetry and alignment. :mrgreen: :wink:
Sacrifice some blades and go to town shooting further than you expect to and dial in with your broadheads.....can't wait to hear all about it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

What he said :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Thanks guys.

Pretty much what I though too, but I wanted to see what others thought because I TOO have that OCD thing.

I was originally going to use my smokeless muzzleloader for my bear hunt, mostly because the stand I planned to use is very difficult to shoot a crossbow out of.

BUT a big sow with 3 cubs has moved in on that one and is running most other bears off so I set up a second stand about a mile away and have several nice bears including one absolute monster coming in.

That stand is exactly 25 yards from the bait site and very conducive to a crossbow so I'm gearing up in that direction.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

We all enjoy pictures of successfull hunts and I sure would enjoy seeing one of "The Big One" should you take him. :D

As a side note, I took the bull in my avatar picture with a 125 Slick Trick Mag @ aprox 47 yards in 2015 and blade position was a non factor.

Good Luck ! :wink:
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

You might want to PM SEW on this. I remember he posted about different orientations with STs and he found a 12-3-6-9 orientation to be more accurate. In my experience with vertical bows, orientation didn't matter but I was not shooting a BH tipped arrow at 100y either.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Quintehunter

Post by Quintehunter »

Blade orientation with fletching has no effect on flight at all.
Now spending the time making sure your broadheads are true to the shaft, that's extremely important. If it has any slight wobble to it, your going to have issues with flight. Take the time to spin all your shafts with broadheads attached to make sure that there is no wobble in the tip.

Over the years I've found that Thunderheads had to be one of the worst for this and Slick Tricks were amazingly easy to get to shoot with either the compound bow or crossbow.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Look closely at the blade retention washer!! There is a flat side and a round side. Make sure that the flat side is against the arrow insert. This really seems to make a difference with the ST's. Wish that this was mentioned on the package..lol
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Thanks for the tips/feedback!