Flemish vs Excal stock string for Micro 355

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Flemish vs Excal stock string for Micro 355

Post by Smong2000 »

Forgive me please, I am new to recurves and going up a steep learning curve and this forum is the place to lean for sure.
Today I switched off my DM Fleming string and put a stock string back on. I weighed them while both off, factory string was 78 grains and Flemish was 118 grains. I expected a difference in speed, recoil and sound and was not disappointed. Left the chrono home but my scope was zeroed at 20 yd with the Flemish and the factory put the zero a bit high at 30 yds. It was a little harsher and slightly 'snappier' but didn't seem loud enough to worry about. Certainly still quieter than the Ravin R9 I had.
So my dilemma is whether there is any disadvantage to using the extra speed for hunting and using the Flemish strings just for targets. Changing strings is so simple one could shoot for an hour with one then finish up with a few shots on the other if it's a wear and tear issue.
What am I missing, why do so many people swear by Flemish strings? Also I haven't seen where folks are relaxing their bows after shooting like we did with recurve verticals, why not? Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: Flemish vs Excal stock string for Micro 355

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon its more of a personal choice than which is the best. Best fer who , we each view things abit diff. If'en a person is jus goin on speed alone the 40 gr lighter string will win. There is more to it than jus speed, i favor Flemish style strings
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I may lose a couple fps but but enjoy the smoother, quieter shot from the custom flemish strings I use from a couple members here. I also like the fact that if I was to cut one or two strands of the flemish twist strings they would still be safe to use. With a normal factory string I think the string would be ruined... (I'm sure a string maker can confirm whether this is correct or not)
I also like the fact that the custom strings I use do not have much creep to them after a week or two. The factory strings seemed to keep stretching forever.
With the custom flemish strings you also have a couple choices for string materials and strands, which also makes a difference in the sound/feel of the shot. I know Boo and 8ptbuk both offer 2 or 3 string material choices as well as strand count suggestions.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Thanks guys, I am learning...slowly.
Going to chrony eventually to see what the actual difference between strings turns out. If a just few fps, then I agree the Flemish strings are nicer to shoot and will use them for everything. If it's 20 fps or more, I would rather lose that by increasing the arrow weight to smooth out the bow for hunting. I don't get very hung up on speed but was very surprised to see 2+ inches difference at 20 yds with everything the same but the string. I will try adding 50 grains to my arrow to see if it comes back down.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

A Factory endless loop string has 14 loops they serve together to get the 28 strand count. You can make a Flemish that is close to the enl's weight n be stronger n fps will be very close. Myself i dislike real lite arrow weight, i prefer the momentum of a heavier arrow weight. Fixed B-heads should be used on lite weighted arrows. Mech. will rob the energy openin up n may give you less penetration
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
janesy

Post by janesy »

Search back through my posts . Last year some time I chronied the stock string vs two different Flemish strings on both a 335 and 355. Same time same target same arrow
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme