Some excalibur hating at my local shop

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cumberlandxbow

Some excalibur hating at my local shop

Post by cumberlandxbow »

Headed to my local shop tonight looking for some BEE arrows. Guy working there asks what bow, length arrow (16.5 with 110 gr. Inserts) and broadhead weight (100 gr. Spitfire) i use. As soon as i said i used a Micro 335, the lecture began. Despite not having BEE in stock or knowing any about them, he informed me that i was basically dry firing my bow with such a light set up. Then told me how loud excalibur bows were and that the deer hear them and can jump the string. Said that excaliburs were raw horsepower, very hard to cock and put too much stress on the limbs. Lots of unsolicited input i didnt need to hear.

I smiled and commented that all the deer i shot last year didnt mind the sound and that i liked being able to do all my own maintenance. Needless to say i left without buying arrows or the target i came for.
longbow joe

Re: Some excalibur hating at my local shop

Post by longbow joe »

Had a similar experience with a 20 year old at a shop not knowing that l have killed easy a hundred or more deer over my 52 years 75 percent of them with a longbow and hes gonna tell me basically that a real man hunts with a 80 % let off compound with a release .......oh isnt a release another name for a trigger.......oh what a stud.l had a kid at dicks tell me that you cant kill a deer from a ladder stand because the deer see you every time? .... one day l invited him over for a fishing trip for bass and invited him in to see the wall full of p&y deer l killed from ladderstands ...lol just take your buisness elswere even if its a further drive to someone who knows what a real hunter is. Thats one reason why i love these bows other than a string that l can do myself l dont have to deal with the bow shop attitude. Good hunting lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....had the same thing happen to me in a local bowshop....and they are supposedly a dealer for Excalibur...the shop is in bed with Matthews...so what can one expect!....no problem as I really don't need them anyway!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

i gave myself a 335 for xmas a couple years ago and went to a local shop with a range to sight in. owner was knowledgeable & helpful. an acquaintance came in & we caught up and he asked about the excal. the owner, who sells excals, quickly steered him to a parker compound xbow saying that excals are too loud etc. i'm thinking he gets more maintenance business after the sale with compounds? it's his business (& i bought online) and he knows his markups etc & what he has to do to make a living so whatever. it's a warm place to shoot in the winter but i get all the "helpful knowledge" i need from this forum & its great members. going to a range with an excal is not nearly as aggravating as pulling into a wayside with your yamaha only to find a group of harley riders already there & having to put up with their crap!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
SEW

Post by SEW »

There's no shortage of stupid people in this world.

I've noticed that young men working in sporting goods stores often assume a personal expertise that isn't warranted.
vaXbow

Post by vaXbow »

That loud sound is the last thing those deer hear!!!
The Horizontal Zone
[email protected]
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Happened to me to. Went to a local Archery shop to see the 335. The owner was out to lunch and the kid behind the counter gave it to me to cock and the rope cocker was way to long. Had to wait till the owner came back. He did and he had another rope cocker there. Here first cocked it for me and swung it around and said that he was scared of these things. And I reply me to since you never put the safety on and your swinging it around like that. Needless to say I did not purchase it from him. Most Archery shops have no idea about string and stopper and safeties and such. Its is sad.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Most people in these shops don't like Excalibur because they don't see them back in the shop for things to get fixed . Because most of the time nothing is wrong unlike the other crossbows out there . We don't need a press to put a new string on which means less money on their end . If we have a problem with the Crossbow we have a excellent warranty and it is handled ASAP . What you ask some of the shop workers in front of people would you rather carry a crossbow that weighs 5 pounds or a little over or one that weighs close to 7 pounds .
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

The 2 bigger shops near me both carry Excalibur and both try to steer me toward something else whenever I go over to handle them. They did the same with the Mission xbows. I let them talk, badmouth, and dig themselves into a pretty deep hole. I eventually told them that I own and love my Mission MXB400 and just recently traded my Ravin R9 for a Micro 355 and love it too. They didn't want to mess with me anymore after that. I agree with you guys that they up sell the bows that are high maintenance and require proprietary accessories and arrows or have a huge markup. They are really pushing Ravin, Parker, and Ten point around here.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Always drama at the bow shops. More so, I have found, than at the gun shops. Perhaps because archery equipment is more personal? You here some chatter about personal favorites between say Leupold and Nikon, or Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70, but it's not the same DAMN YOU TO HELL attitude that you find at the bow shop.

It changes from year to year irregardless. This year's "MUST HAVE" is next year's "WHAT IS THAT?" Have a couple of buddies that it seems one day Mathews represents the second coming, next day Hoyt is king. All excited about a new revolutionary release, then giving it away 6 months later to get rid of it.

Excalibur equipment has been the only constant in bow hunting equipment that I have been involved with. I don't doubt that a fan of something else would feel a great deal of threat.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I'm pretty sure we have 3-4 --so called dealers in the State-- none are little pro shops but cabelas sports authority bass pro-- you get the idea!

usually carry one type of Excalibur - whatever is new.

I agree they tend to push other brands with more options.

I also agree that with Excaliburs they get very little shop work if any

I'm heading out on the road soon so I'm trying to limit #'s of weapons

my Exo is at top of the list to travel!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Basically the only really good places are the ones listed on our forum as warranty dealers. I live about 50 miles from one l guess im lucky.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

The shop near me. Started out as a Big Mathews store. The guy that owned it years ago. Was a big jerk. Everyone knew it. But some guys bought him out. They still have Mathews. Elite , PSE, Bear. Excalibur, Parker , Mission and Ravin. They don't talk sh_t. Shame on people who do when the company trusts you to sell their
Product. Makes us all look bad.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Strange at it may seem one time I went in a sport store and was looking at the Matrix series and a few others and had the person on the floor point me to the Excaliburs . I told him at the time that I had the exomag and the exomax . Come to find out he shot Excaliburs.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Excalibur is dealer independent after the sale. It seems to me that David Wyvern is the logical choice.
Wyvern Creations.

Oops! And Danny Miller. Both have been very helpful to me.

And, you don't have to read in between the lines when they talk too you. :D