2017 seasons goals?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

2017 seasons goals?

Post by janesy »

Anyone want to try anything new this year? Any plans or goals?

Aside from the fact I have yet to get a deer with a crossbow(they alway walk out when I've got a shotgun in my hands), I'm wanting to field dress and pack a deer out this year. I've never done that, always been able to drive a vehicle or some sort at least close enough a little drag was all I ever needed.
I've been wanting and watching for a camp up north to buy and it clicked on my head, my family cottage in Muskoka is completely surrounded by private (we own) huntable conservation or crown land . A few thousand acres worth. And best part it's at the top of a WMU that you'd have to cross our property after a boat ride to get to it. So I've started planning and scouting this area. But no matter which route or piece of land I go to, I'd be packing and carrying the deer out on my back.
Its got me excited, one step closer to the way it used to be before ATVs and pickup trucks.

Anyhow, what everyone else looking forward to checking off the list?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Re: 2017 seasons goals?

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm looking to pop a huge buck we've been seeing. I'll try to shoot about 3 doe this season.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:Anyone want to try anything new this year? Any plans or goals?

Aside from the fact I have yet to get a deer with a crossbow(they alway walk out when I've got a shotgun in my hands), I'm wanting to field dress and pack a deer out this year. I've never done that, always been able to drive a vehicle or some sort at least close enough a little drag was all I ever needed.
I've been wanting and watching for a camp up north to buy and it clicked on my head, my family cottage in Muskoka is completely surrounded by private (we own) huntable conservation or crown land . A few thousand acres worth. And best part it's at the top of a WMU that you'd have to cross our property after a boat ride to get to it. So I've started planning and scouting this area. But no matter which route or piece of land I go to, I'd be packing and carrying the deer out on my back.
Its got me excited, one step closer to the way it used to be before ATVs and pickup trucks.

Let us know how much you enjoyed it after you pack a 250 pounder a half mile through heavy brush! Actually, I too have never minded the hard work that can result from a successful hunt. Good luck, and I look forward to reading your account when you achieve your goal.
axiom
350 SE
sgtkersh

Post by sgtkersh »

I'm hoping to take my first deer with my Excalibur/crossbow. To date all my harvests have been with my trusty 30-30. I really want to be productive in bow season though before hunting pressure gets too high. Ideally I would take at least 2 does during bow season and then hold out for a real nice buck in muzzleloader and rifle seasons.
Matrix 350SE, Hawke XB1 SR, R.E.D.S., Guardian ADF, Diablos with 150 gr Boltcutters, Black Eagle Exectutioners with 125 gr NAP Spitfires, JBK String
Normous

Post by Normous »

One of my goals this year is to spend quality hunting time with some of this forums fine members.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can honestly tell you i don't want to have to pack nor drag anutter tick toter. I much rather ride my 3 wheeler n trailer up to them n use my block n tackle to load them in it. I have a 45-70 usin cast boolits i want to shoot a few deer wid tis yr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:

Let us know how much you enjoyed it after you pack a 250 pounder a half mile through heavy brush! Actually, I too have never minded the hard work that can result from a successful hunt. Good luck, and I look forward to reading your account when you achieve your goal.
I don't know that it's the work I'm looking for. We've had to hauls some Moose and deer out of some tough spots. But only so far as to the ATV trail, or the logging road. Then it was toss it on and let's get back to camp for lunch.

I've never had to quarter and bag anything. I think that's what I'm more interested. To say you actually CARRIED it out, is not something I can say.

Of course then there the guys who would look at you like you have two heads... It is nice to lay them in the bed of the truck and drive out. Especially in the rain
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

To make it home safe everyday and to have fun!
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

I don't know that it's the work I'm looking for. We've had to hauls some Moose and deer out of some tough spots. But only so far as to the ATV trail, or the logging road. Then it was toss it on and let's get back to camp for lunch.

I've never had to quarter and bag anything. I think that's what I'm more interested. To say you actually CARRIED it out, is not something I can say.

Of course then there the guys who would look at you like you have two heads... It is nice to lay them in the bed of the truck and drive out. Especially in the rain
Strap you an elk hind on a frame, hike up hill, some steep enough you have to switchback at 9000+ ft..... when you get back to camp even though you are worn out, you feel like a MAN!.... until you realize there are three mor quarters waiting ! :shock:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Win the Lottery and hunt until I drop :shock:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Heh, in my younger days I packed out a 4 point mule on my shouders. Not because I wanted to, but my hunting partners both had bad backs and the hill was to steep to drag up to the road. Both followed behind me to keep me from falling backwards. I ached for days. Once was enough though as I have since learned that packing quarters is much more preferable. One important thing, don't skimp on your pack frame. Your back will thank me. Happy packing,
Hank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:One of my goals this year is to spend quality hunting time with some of this forums fine members.
Amen to that Norm. That was the highlight of my season last year for sure! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In pa we only get one buck tag . I hope not to get one till the rut so l can spend more time in stand. And it must be a mounter or l will let it pass.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Going on a moose hunt in September. Going to use my matrix 355. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

not fall out my tree stand