Sighting in process

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Sighting in process

Post by SEW »

I started using xbows in 1983. Having only 1 hobby, deer and bear hunting, and having 5 months of archery season with little "gun" season(ML/shotgun), my xbow is a serious item to me.
Until 5 years ago, the preparation period was usually frustrating with various complications during the resighting in process. Waiting for parts being ordered thru local dealers, waiting for tuning(which I'd normally have to tweak afterwards), string stretch and getting out of tune, favorite xbow no longer being supported when only 2 years old ( Strykeforce being replaced by SZ350!!), cracked limbs and waiting months for dealer to get limbs, installing, timing of cams(poorly done), inevitable string stretch, etc.....
This year, I changed arrow components :18" STs, 50g inserts, 175 Xbow Tricks, helical Blazers, Lumenocks. Same arrows for M380 & 405 and BD400. 2-8 lighted Duralyts/Optimizer on BD & 400, XB75 on 380.
Sighted 380 to XB75 max -75 yds, BD400 to 90, and 405 to 100 yds. Total time: 3-4 hours on range, no problems, used new pre-stretched strings, same 3 arrows, as always no groups over 1 1/2" at max ranges.
Excalibur has reduced so much stress normally encountered when getting ready for the upcoming season.
Also of note: I've had one of my Optimizers since they came out and on many xbows, countless shots - well over 7-8 thousand at least. No loss in precision. As a matter of fact, the old Optimizer is on my primary xbow - M405.
The sight-in process is lengthened considerably if sight-in goes all the way out to 100 yards since arrow drop can vary considerably dependent on FOC. FOC becomes an increasing factor on drop as distance increases. The Optimizer's tapes have to be based on a standardized arrow drag and foc . Our arrows likely vary some from these standard figures. Out to 60 yards, these differences from standard will not show up much; but from 60-100 yards, these differences really come into play.
Summary: Excalibur has simplified hunting preparation considerably.
xcaliber

Re: Sighting in process

Post by xcaliber »

Could not agree more!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wildcatter

Re: Sighting in process

Post by wildcatter »

yep, nothing easier than keeping the recurves dialed in, and out to 60 is a breeze. As for arrows, I find 50 to 70 grains difference to be little concern on poi out to about 40 or 45 yards once my 380's are sighted in out to 60, but the closer to 60 and beyond is where everything shows up for me,,, and this is using fixed blade Viper Tricks.

But once set for season, and with a good string, ready to rock with the tapps fer the next 4 months without any tuning or changes in poi.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!