Wax serving

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

Wax serving

Post by Sloppy Does »

Who waxes their serving and who does not. And why ? Does it matter if its a factory or Flemish?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
xcaliber

Re: Wax serving

Post by xcaliber »

When the Angel Majesty serving became the preferred center serving, waxing promoted serving separation because the serving itself is designed to grab the string fibers like no other serving available at the time. The wax minimizes this ability drastically. The string material used for most Crossbow Strings already is waxed when rolled onto spools, and many string makers try to stretch as much creep out of the finished product so the end user does not have to deal numerous brace height adjustments due to creep, stretch, or whatever you wish to call it. In this process, the wax is in the string material is squeezed out, so the serving is already lubricated from the inside out to keep things simple. Keep your deck clean, and wipe excess wax that builds up frequently.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I"ve read here that waxing your serving and rail can also gum up your trigger mechanism..and not in a good way.
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:When the Angel Majesty serving became the preferred center serving, waxing promoted serving separation because the serving itself is designed to grab the string fibers like no other serving available at the time. The wax minimizes this ability drastically. The string material used for most Crossbow Strings already is waxed when rolled onto spools, and many string makers try to stretch as much creep out of the finished product so the end user does not have to deal numerous brace height adjustments due to creep, stretch, or whatever you wish to call it. In this process, the wax is in the string material is squeezed out, so the serving is already lubricated from the inside out to keep things simple. Keep your deck clean, and wipe excess wax that builds up frequently.
I appologize, but I have to disagree.
The above in bold is why you should wax your serving. Because there is little to no wax/lube under the serving. The point of highest strand to strand friction is at the serving. Danny(factory strings) does not work the wax out, so there is little need to lube the serving.
There are 2 camps in the waxing thoughts. Right or wrong, I believe in putting string wax on to lube the string material under the serving.
I am the person who introduced Angel Majesty to Excalibur and Danny Miller. The reason it works is because it stays round causing it to dig into the string, preventing serving separation and it has elasticity that allows it to keep digging in. What does happen is that the serving will flatten somewhat by the latches if lubed. However, it is no less effective. The serving is a composite, made of a couple of different materials that are not dissolvable by string lube. String lube does not soften it. It does however, allow some of the different parts to shift, hence the slightly flattened appearance.
If the serving is put on tightly enough, the serving will not separate, regardless of what string lube is put on.
Check the diagrams in this page. It may better explain things better than me.
http://www.angel-japan.net/eng-serving.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

MTBighorn wrote:I"ve read here that waxing your serving and rail can also gum up your trigger mechanism..and not in a good way.
Excess wax can, the appropriate amount will not.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Boo wrote:
MTBighorn wrote:I"ve read here that waxing your serving and rail can also gum up your trigger mechanism..and not in a good way.
Excess wax can, the appropriate amount will not.
Thanks Boo ... sounds a lot like most things in life :D
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I wax the serving on my strings and recommend the ones I sell to be waxed regularly.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]