SNAKE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

SNAKE

Post by flightattendant100 »

First, let me say that I am not a "Snake Person". I don't like 'em! They always scare me, show up at the unexpected etc. Well, Saturday Colton and I went to the lease to prep some more for the upcoming season. We went early enough that we could bow hunt for pigs. It was HOT, HUMID, and still as can be. No luck on the piggies, so we started by leveling a stand (tripod) and putting a drape around it. We fed one feeder, and we swapped SD cards in all the cameras. I had a ladder stand that I wanted to move so I took it down while Colton was pruning some mesquite that had grown up. When I got the ladder down ,I noticed that Colton was sitting in the shade. Heat bothers him really bad, so I ask him if he was sick. He said he had gotten hot and didn't feel so great. I told him that we could just move the stand over to the area it was going to go and then put it up next time we were out. He has finished Drivers Ed. so he drove us over to the spot. I told him to stay in the truck with the A/C running and I would just set the ladder over where it was going. I grabbed it out of the back of the truck and took off. One thing on my mind, set stand down and we could head for home. About 5 yards from where I was going to set the stand, it sounded just like you hit the pressure relief valve on a compressor. SSSHHHHHHH and it didn't stop. And it was LOUD!!!! I thought "What tha...OH HELL!" The rattlesnake was dead center the trail I was walking. He was big, coiled, head up about a foot , and buzzing like I have never heard. I dropped the stand and took two steps toward the truck to get the pistol, then realized it was in my pocket. A 9mm will ruin a snakes day. After he was dispatched, we went up to it and it had eaten something large. One of the rounds had sliced the snake some so we could get it out, and it was, I think a full grown cottontail.
I guess that with the rabbit in it maybe it felt it was vulnerable or at least not as agile as normal, so it put on such a big show. With it coiled and a rabbit in it , it looked like a middle linebacker. It was so loud it was scary all by itself, and the head being up like it was made a very formidable looking fellow.
I have seen rattlesnakes in the woods, seen them coiled, heard them buzz. I have never seen or heard anything like this show he put on. It made a believer out of me I promise. I am so glad that he was vocal, or in my haste I would have walked right over him. I tell Colton every time we get out of the truck, "Watch where you are stepping", and then didn't pay attention myself. I feel very fortunate that it all worked out like it did. We both got a wake up call, and neither was injured. It could have been much different.
Y'all "Watch where you step"
BrotherRon

Re: SNAKE

Post by BrotherRon »

No rattle snakes here... about the only thing we gotta watch for is cow pies. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Rattlesnakes are rare and protected as an endangered species here. A boy scout leader almost went to jail for killing one a few yeas back.

If I felt threatened I would have to apply the S-S-S rule. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
janesy

Post by janesy »

For some reason a snake rattle goes right through you. Quite the effective defence mechanism really
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Paul you did the right thing, i have not seen one up here in Mo. i do knowed they are here. Down home they are lots of'em n jus like Tx they get big. I bet i have killed over 50 of'em that were well over 5' n a good many over 6' thick as my upper arm
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If you ever want to watch a cool show about snakes watch Snake city on Sunday nights. National Geographic channel or animal planet chanel.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WOW! :shock:

I was sure glad to read through that and discover that it had a happy ending.... except for the snake of course!

We have the Massassauga Rattler up here. I've come across a couple but they're fairly shy.

I once pulled off the road to ummm.... return a rented coffee. Cover was sparse so I ducked behind a juniper. As I was processing the return I head a loud hissing. My first thought was "rattler". However I quickly discovered that I was in fact situated directly over a ground wasp nest.

I got stings on top of stings "where the sun don't shine"..... and for weeks afterwards I felt like I had wasps trapped in my pants. it wasn't pretty! :lol:

Still am grateful we don't get the big rattlers up here like you guys do down there. And am very glad you and Colton stayed safe!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow! I'm sure glad that you're all okay Paul. Funny thing, I can stalk and shoot a bear with my compound (now xbow) no problem but snakes just make my skin crawl! :shock: That's one part of hunting Texas I wasn't a fan of....watching every step you take everywhere. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

VixChix wrote:WOW! :shock:

I was sure glad to read through that and discover that it had a happy ending.... except for the snake of course!

We have the Massassauga Rattler up here. I've come across a couple but they're fairly shy.

I once pulled off the road to ummm.... return a rented coffee. Cover was sparse so I ducked behind a juniper. As I was processing the return I head a loud hissing. My first thought was "rattler". However I quickly discovered that I was in fact situated directly over a ground wasp nest.

I got stings on top of stings "where the sun don't shine"..... and for weeks afterwards I felt like I had wasps trapped in my pants. it wasn't pretty! :lol:

Still am grateful we don't get the big rattlers up here like you guys do down there. And am very glad you and Colton stayed safe!
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
flightattendant100

papabear1 wrote:
VixChix wrote:WOW! :shock:

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
X2. Vic that's funny! Glad we all came out of this.
flightattendant100

I have some pics , but haven't figured out the new how to post. He was selling that he was a " Bad Boy". And I bought every once of it! :shock:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I had a similar incident about a year ago. We were walking back up the hill to the Jeep after checking cameras with my head down focusing on trying not to pass out while climbing. I walked to within a few steps of a rattlesnake directly in my path. In my case, he never made a sound. Had I been paying even less attention, I might have stepped right on him and ruined both our days.

I know they are around, but that was the first I saw in my hunting area. Since then I've kept an extra eye on the ground.

It makes me want to think twice about crawling into a ground blind in the dark.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

DuckHunt wrote:I had a similar incident about a year ago. We were walking back up the hill to the Jeep after checking cameras with my head down focusing on trying not to pass out while climbing. I walked to within a few steps of a rattlesnake directly in my path. In my case, he never made a sound. Had I been paying even less attention, I might have stepped right on him and ruined both our days.

I know they are around, but that was the first I saw in my hunting area. Since then I've kept an extra eye on the ground.

It makes me want to think twice about crawling into a ground blind in the dark.

DuckHunt
If this one wasn't vocal, I would have stepped right on him. I had my mind on one thing and it wasn't snakes.
As well as they are camouflaged, if they were still and quiet, you would have to be very fortunate to see one, I think. For several years I have use a green flashlight to get to and from the stand in the dark. They work great, but the green color takes away some of the contrast. Everything is a shade of same color kind of like the night vision stuff. Its got me thinking should I go back to a white light.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Wow, glad you escaped without getting tagged. With a child around I think I would have shot it also, however, had you just left the area and come back a day or two later he would have been gone. If you have them hanging around your hunting area it sounds like some snake boots are in order for you and your son, cheap insurance just in case the next time you don't get the warning. I find snake cool and at the same time they do scare me a bit, almost gigged a cotton mouth one night while catching some frogs.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For you Paul . :)
Saw this and there is no way I could EVER do this . Unless they make full body suits in snake-proof . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus