Friend of mine bought a ravin crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Friend of mine bought a ravin crossbow

Post by longbow joe »

I got to hold and shoot a friends top of line ravin crossbow today narrow very fast. It had bow style nocks .l was surprised to see how it launched off of two little wheels up front rather than a rail.had a excaliburish looking luminous scope. Really cool ........but all the plastic n wheels is not for me said it was like 19 hunnerd $$$$ wow could have bought a really nice suppressor or bulldog that would not require a pit crew if it ran outta tune. He says the excaliburs were too loud n slow....told him it was nice didnt want to get in a hillary trump kinda thingy....lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Re: Friend of mine bought a ravin crossbow

Post by xcaliber »

True That! I have a buddy with a Ten Point that cost him a ton of money, nice bow until it it's out of whack. He says the same thing, but he loves the Excalibur's when i pop on a new string, etc. It's too loud he says, 3 years, no deer yet! :lol: :lol: I call it his ZERO POINT! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Nothing wrong with trying different brands. They all have there advantages and disadvantages.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I just received my New Ravin r9.
pretty impressive bow IMO. Time will tell how well it hold up. Sold a perfectly good Ibex
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:I got to hold and shoot a friends top of line ravin crossbow today narrow very fast. It had bow style nocks .l was surprised to see how it launched off of two little wheels up front rather than a rail.had a excaliburish looking luminous scope. Really cool ........but all the plastic n wheels is not for me said it was like 19 hunnerd $$$$ wow could have bought a really nice suppressor or bulldog that would not require a pit crew if it ran outta tune. He says the excaliburs were too loud n slow....told him it was nice didnt want to get in a hillary trump kinda thingy....lol
....WHy not LBJ? :shock: .....tell him to call me....I like to get the blood sloshing around these old veins now and then :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I've held the Ravin at my local dealer. A well built bow for sure and they sure do have the "Cool" factor going on and the camo is my favorite and the bow feels great to handle But I just recently sold off my Stryker 390 ls because I did'nt want to deal with cam timing and tuning anymore. I have my own press for the Stryker so it was not a matter of taking it to a dealer to tune, just tired of having to press for this or that because of cable creep... Plus to change a cable I had to pull the axle.... Now with the Ravin, if you need to tune it you Have to take it to your dealer to press or buy the Ravin bow press for an additional $250..

Plus I don't fully trust the rail-less design nor those delrin wheels the arrows ride on... At some point they are going to wear down and affect accuracy, especially at the speeds the Ravin is pushing out..

I'm all wheeled out.. Learned my lesson after two compound style crossbows.. I'l stick to KISS for me.. One string is all I need.. :D
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I bought a Ravin earlier this summer. It was a nice bow and shot pretty well, OK very well and had a great trigger. Form wise it is a hard bow to beat but it was very loud. I didn't need or like the crank only feature and all the complexity put me off but there was a considerable investment so I wanted to love it. What broke the camels back was when I was shooting in a sand pit I decided to do some offhand at mixed ranges. I walked about 30 yds through some weeds, not very high or thick and when I tried to cock the bow the shuttle wouldn't lock on the string. Took me about 20 mins to figure out that a small piece of leaf was in the trigger mechanism and blow it out. I had a couple hundred shots on it and was dreading the string and cable change at 500 that was going to cost well over $100.
I sold it and bought a Micro 355 and it's one of the best decisions I've made in a while. Might even sell my MXB400 to get another recurve...
Booge

Post by Booge »

I bought a new exomax in 2004. It's been shot thousands of times and dryfired twice. It's never been to a shop and still going strong today. It even had the original scope on it till a couple of years ago. You just can't get any more reliable than that.
Bulldog 360
Micro 355
Trigger Tech
Zombie Slayers Spitfires
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

The Ravin and Death Stalker are a few of the newer models that seem very nice. A few problems are being worked out on the ds. I would buy either one.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Riflemanz wrote:The Ravin and Death Stalker are a few of the newer models that seem very nice. A few problems are being worked out on the ds. I would buy either one.

....."Oofah" is on his way back to me from it's company "workout!"....we shall surely see!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

If I am right it is not legal in New York to hunt with as it has a 13 inches limb width axle to axle . New York they can only go down to 17 inches. Anyone in New York correct me if I am wrong .
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

hunter with MS wrote:If I am right it is not legal in New York to hunt with as it has a 13 inches limb width axle to axle . New York they can only go down to 17 inches. Anyone in New York correct me if I am wrong .

......just another reason not to hunt there!

Anthony :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Rules .......rules rules......no wonder new people dont want to hunt .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

hunter with MS wrote:If I am right it is not legal in New York to hunt with as it has a 13 inches limb width axle to axle . New York they can only go down to 17 inches. Anyone in New York correct me if I am wrong .

You need a doctors note to hunt NY with a crossbow anyway. :roll:
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

No you don't need a doctors note the crossbow is viewed as a muzzle loader max draw wt is 200 lbs limb width min 17 , A doctors note is needed to hunt with draw lock devices in the archery season . With that you need to get a state permit ,