Staying warm while hunting (sitting)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Staying warm while hunting (sitting)

Post by B-Logger »

Perhaps because I had polio I've always had a problem staying warm especially when sitting still. But now that I've aged a bit, the cold seems to be bothering me more but I am not ready to give up hunting!

Quite naturally, my feet are the worst problem.

I've tried electric socks but never the real expensive brands and they just did not do much for me.

I've tried the Thermacall insoles and found them to be not at all helpful.

Felt packs seem to be the best I've tried so far but last year was a struggle.

The problem with the little heat bags is they just don't last very long inside a pair of boots. I suspect because they don't get enough air.

I have found that wind proof clothing does help a lot but what might be the best underwear?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Patcon

Re: Staying warm while hunting (sitting)

Post by Patcon »

Have you ever tried some of the bag type devices? They look like sleeping bags for your boots either individually or together. They even make some that you slip into and they come up near your chest to keep your feet and lower body warm?
My feet are always a problem. I agree the hot packs don't really work that well in my boots and it's probably the lack of fresh air that slows them down making heat. One of the big problems keeping your feet warm and hands for that matter is lack of blood flow. The flow slows down after you've been sitting for a while and the blood cools off as it reaches the extremities. One thing I have found that helps me when it's really cold here is putting heat packs inside my camo over my kidneys. This helps warm the blood supply overall and seems to really help...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

In very cold weather I use Cabelas inferno boots and they work very well. For clothes I layer and use flannel lined pants.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks fellas. I have considered one of those bags and have heard good things about them. Perhaps it is time I look at those again.

Heat on the kidneys I should have mentioned that I found something that really works fantastically. You can buy Thermacare heat wraps. Caution, the cheap brands are not very good at all. I like to wear the Thermacare wrap that wraps around the kidneys. They really do work nicely for keeping you warm and one of the best things is that they last for 12 hours or more. I especially love these because I have a terribly messed up back so use a lot of heat all the time to try to keep it in check. So one day I thought about the thermacare and Bingo!

This fall I thought perhaps I'd also try one of the smaller thermacare wraps on my toes to see if they would work better than the little bags and they are not as bulky either.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
janesy

Post by janesy »

I always let those little heat pouches get in contact with as much air as possible and allow them to heat up before loading them into my boots. They work much better than just dropping them in cold
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

janesy wrote:I always let those little heat pouches get in contact with as much air as possible and allow them to heat up before loading them into my boots. They work much better than just dropping them in cold
I totally agree. Putting them in cold won't do much for you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

B-Logger wrote:
I have found that wind proof clothing does help a lot but what might be the best underwear?

Icebreaker merino wool socks and underwear are a reasonably priced alternative that work very well. If you don't mind spending more money than get something in decent quality alpaca. Alpaca is lighter, warmer, softer and wicks better than merino or any synthetic on the market.

If you don't mind spending a little more than alpaca costs I would recommend bison wool for socks - incredibly warm and light even if you are soaking wet. I use these exclusively for winter hunts. Had a hunt last year where I went through the ice in thigh deep water on the way in to the stand and was still able to sit in my stand for 3 hours soaking wet at an air temp of -10C (14F).

If you really want to go all out get yourself some Qiviut socks (muskox wool). Warmest fibre known to man wet or dry. Be warned though they are almost $200 per pair.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Species8472 wrote:
B-Logger wrote:

Icebreaker merino wool socks and underwear are a reasonably priced alternative that work very well. If you don't mind spending more money than get something in decent quality alpaca. Alpaca is lighter, warmer, softer and wicks better than merino or any synthetic on the market.

If you don't mind spending a little more than alpaca costs I would recommend bison wool for socks - incredibly warm and light even if you are soaking wet. I use these exclusively for winter hunts. Had a hunt last year where I went through the ice in thigh deep water on the way in to the stand and was still able to sit in my stand for 3 hours soaking wet at an air temp of -10C (14F).

If you really want to go all out get yourself some Qiviut socks (muskox wool). Warmest fibre known to man wet or dry. Be warned though they are almost $200 per pair.
This does sound interesting and I will be checking it out. Is there any web sites you might recommend?
Keep smiling!
Dennis
JRS

Post by JRS »

Harvest your deer in October! :wink:

I know what you mean. I think every cold weather hunter deals with this, and everybody has their own way to deal with it. I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

B-Logger wrote:
This does sound interesting and I will be checking it out. Is there any web sites you might recommend?
Some links on this site:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201412 ... -than-wool

Icebreaker:

http://ca.icebreaker.com/en/home

Alpaca:

https://purelyalpaca.com/collections/alpaca-for-men

https://www.alteraalpaca.com/explore.html

https://alpacasofmontana.com/collections/sportsman

Other than my waterproof shell my theory is that mother nature has been keeping critters warm in the worst environments and knows best. Another thing to think about is a high loft (800+) goose down bomber for under your shell for those really cold days.

I own one of these and with a water proof shell it is warmer than most winter jackets:

https://purelyalpaca.com/collections/al ... =790559011
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I also use those chemical packs you shake up. I buy a big box of them at Costco, they are dirt cheap that way.

You can also try putting a Thermacell inside your jacket, minus the bug repellant pad of course.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

If sitting still, I use these:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/25723/hot ... ot-warmers

I had the same prob. These help me.

Kevin
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Your favorite /Comfortable boots and a pair of Arctic shield boot covers with a body warmer rubber banded to your boot toe and your feet will be toasty.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Maybe it would be nice to see a manufacturer come out with some type of electric insole for boots used primarily for " Stand" use, and including an external battery as well as reostat to control the amount of heat ? :?:

Just a thought.... maybe one of you "designer types" can come up with a proto-type and take it to "Shark Tank" ? 8)

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Maybe it would be nice to see a manufacturer come out with some type of electric insole for boots used primarily for " Stand" use, and including an external battery as well as reostat to control the amount of heat ? :?:

Just a thought.... maybe one of you "designer types" can come up with a proto-type and take it to "Shark Tank" ? 8)

Gene
Good idea Gene. And while they are at it, what good are those type of things where they have a low setting. I think that is just so they can show long battery life as it is not practical to run them on low.
Keep smiling!
Dennis