Staying warm while hunting (sitting)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NEPAbowhunter

Re: Staying warm while hunting (sitting)

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have heard of guys using boot blankets with foot warmers. With a couple pair of good warm socks they take their boots OFF and put their feet in the boot blanket with the warmers.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:53 pm
I have heard of guys using boot blankets with foot warmers. With a couple pair of good warm socks they take their boots OFF and put their feet in the boot blanket with the warmers.
I TESTED ..You are right.First thing i do is get my hiking boots OFF when I sit down.OFF comes my socks ..Put on fresh pair of wool socks with propylene on first then wool sock..Next boot blankets without my hiking boots ..I bought a camo kids sleeping bag for 20 bucks at wal-mart ..

I put my legs in it and at bottom my hiking shoes and my feet are inside the boot blankets ..If i have to move i unzip the sleeping bag and you can stand with boot blankets on ....

wet socks and any boot is tight on your feet and they will get cold.you can wiggle your toes in boot blankets ..
rossh

Post by rossh »

I wear socks made from Alpaca wool & old fashion insulated long john underwear . Works for me . Google them up to find in your area . Luck
Slightly past my best before date .Made in Canada .But still having fun . K.I.S.S .
Ibex Xbow only one .
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I wear high quality Smartwool merino wool socks but for me the real trick is not allowing my feet to get sweaty hiking to my stand. If I have a long hike I wear a different pair of socks and when I get to my stand I take off the sweaty socks, dry my feet and put the dry merino wool socks on. Feet stay warm significantly longer!!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have always found that the trick is to not let your feet get sweaty when getting to the stand. I use normal hunting boots (600grams) to walk in with and on cold days I use boot blankets (1000 grams). Mine has the zipper up the back and I just step into them when I get there.

On real cold days, I will pack 1 of those fleece blanket, quiet and can be used for different things.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
RaffaelleHarmon

Post by RaffaelleHarmon »

In very cold weather I use wool, electric Flambeau Men’s Heated Socks Kit inside my boots. They work great! Pair of best warm hunting socks https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-socks-for-hunting/
pair of best warm hunting socks https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-socks-for-hunting/
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

As mentioned earlier good socks are important. Wool then alpaca, then Buffalo, and then musk ox.

A thin polypropylene wicking sock is really important as well. Keeping your feet dry is critical.

I have a pair of Buffalo wool socks that helped. Also, make sure that your shoes aren't too tight.

On the coldest days I use a wicking sock, toe warmer, and I top it off with a buffalo wool sock. The toe warmer is placed between the two socks.

A Thermacare back wrap over the kidneys help as well. You're entire blood supply is filtered nearly 3 times per hour by the kidneys. With the Thermacare wrap it is warmed as well.

Warm food and drink also helps. On really cold days I carry a Jetboil zip thatI use to make warm drinks, soup, or a freezedreid meal. The stove is lighter than a thermos so there really isn't a weight penalty and a warm meal is great treat on those bone chilling days.

The longer you can sit comfortably the more successful you will be.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I love late season bow. And I bought an IWOM and never froze since. Good Stuff.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I wear good wool socks. I put unscented deodorants like dead down wind or something like that on the bottom of my feet first. Keeps them from sweating when walking to my blind or stand. I stick the adhesive 16 hour hot hands on my chest, just below my armpits and sometimes on my forearms as well. These being stuck to my under shirt and a couple layers with my flannel coat is good for about 20 degrees or so. I also have buddy heaters I use. My daughters love the heaters. My neighbor and I hunted below zero in my tent blind with my dual burner buddy heater. It got real warm with that heater.
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

Predator55 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 pm
Your favorite /Comfortable boots and a pair of Arctic shield boot covers with a body warmer rubber banded to your boot toe and your feet will be toasty.
THIS. My feet have always been miserable in the cold. Got a pair of these and no more cold feet.