Converting a C2 crank for left hand use

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Converting a C2 crank for left hand use

Post by shafferm »

I saw the request by Hunter with MS to see if there was a convertible crank. The C2 comes setup only with the handle and mechanism on the right side. The main housing is symmetric and nearly all the parts can be readily adapted for use on the left side.

The first step is to remove the original parts from the right side to get access to the housing. Image

The next step was to use the 4 existing holes on the right side to drill through to the left side. Here it is setup on my drill press table over the slot in the clamp block below. Two holes are are for the shoulder bolts, one for the roll pin and the last is for the torsion spring.Image

I then flipped it over to the left side and finished drilling the holes to final size.
I then tapped the two #10 holes and did the countersinking to .125" with a 1/2" cutter.

This makes room for the torsion spring. The original torsion spring is a right hand wound spring and is the only part that cannot be reused. I ordered in left hand wound torsion springs from McMaster Carr part number 9271K142 (https://www.mcmaster.com/#9271K142). With some trimming and bending of these springs I was able to make a torsion spring for use on the left hand side.

Here is the setup on the left hand side of the crank prior to installing the spools and crank handle.

Here is the finished C2 setup for use with the left hand.

So with a bit of machining and one new spring the C2 can be converted for left hand use and can be swapped back to right hand use.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Bcxbow

Re: Converting a C2 crank for left hand use

Post by Bcxbow »

Nice job!!
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Thanks taking the time to post all of that.
This a possible conversion I might be making in the near future.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Nice job reworking it. You'd think they could easily make it convertible, or maybe sell one made for each hand.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Thanks for thinking of me and the many other people that can not use the crank right handed. But seems I have been side lined as there seems to be a problem with my C spine and T spine so when I bend and put a little effort in to say cranking the cranker I have now with left hand it does not last long. Don't know how long it could take to heal I hope it is not a tumor . So I hate to say it I may have to go to a Parker Concorde for a while CO2 powered cocker just push a button in the butt stock at this point the weight doesn't much matter as I can't hold and carry it anyway
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Sorry to hear that you may get side lined this season, hopefully the Parker can help to keep you in the woods this season. I will put it over in the trading post to see if another left hander would want to trade it for one of the right handed C2 cranks as I am a right hander myself.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Tom

Post by Tom »

hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 am
Thanks for thinking of me and the many other people that can not use the crank right handed. But seems I have been side lined as there seems to be a problem with my C spine and T spine so when I bend and put a little effort in to say cranking the cranker I have now with left hand it does not last long. Don't know how long it could take to heal I hope it is not a tumor . So I hate to say it I may have to go to a Parker Concorde for a while CO2 powered cocker just push a button in the butt stock at this point the weight doesn't much matter as I can't hold and carry it anyway
Hunter with MS, I am sorry about yur troubles.

I am not sure which model bow you have (for type of stock) but in the past, a late forum member Digger had a, I believe, a 10 point crank installed and used a battery screw driver to to operate it. If you are intrested in this option, Dan Miller probably be able to guide you with this.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]