Matrix 380 Upgrade is Ready for the Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

Matrix 380 Upgrade is Ready for the Season

Post by MTBighorn »

Just got my 380 Xtra back with the new better riser. It is such FAN-Freaking-Tastic workmanship!!!! Excalibur..if you are listening. Thank YOU!

I was seriously shocked when I opened my box from Danny Miller. The camo job is so crisp and has so much depth. And the camo lines match up so well (rail, limbs,riser,and stock). I only sent Danny my limbs and riser.

If it wasn't for my previous reading on the situation, I would have almost NO idea that the rise was even changed.

I hated the idea of the new "altered", "modified" riser so much! So I have been shooting a couple years with a mismatched and cracked limb/riser set. I also falsely presumed that the alterations would not just cause me cosmetic stress, but also cost me speed/power.

Well I have never Chronographed any of my bows because the only bow faster than my 380 was discontinued.

But after getting my new riser and limbs I had to see how fast she really was.... With a 7/8 inch brace height (from riser seam)..

With a 350gr Diablo arrow, and new factory string, she clocks in at 382 FPS with the new "Improved" riser :twisted: !!!!! Sure sounded harsh to fire this light of an arrow! :shock: No Thanks!
I changed to my Vixenmaster string and my 412gr hunting arrow set-up and she is still running a very smoooth 350 FPS.

If there is anyone worried about this riser change/mod/alteration being done for your bow..... Don't be!! This is a total "Upgrade", "Improvement" as far as I can see.

And if it serves to improve the longevity and reliability of the high powered Matrix bows,..This is a Major Bonus that Excalibur is offering. :mrgreen:
W.Miguire

Re: Matrix 380 Upgrade is Ready for the Season

Post by W.Miguire »

Wes sounds like your a happy camper looks great from here. :) :)
W.M.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

lookin good!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Prédateur

Post by Prédateur »

What does the mod consist of ?
RobD

Post by RobD »

Yeah, I'm curious as well, I have a 380 coming and would like to know more about this.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Excal added a very slight radius to the outside edge of the riser where the limb exits the riser to reduce limb stress at a focused point.
There is also a small semi-circle relief added to the riser face, just south of 9:00 O'clock from the riser hole, as seen in this picture. And the limb strap bolts now have shoulder bolts that bottom out, to prevent the straps from cinching down tight onto the limb face.

I have 2 M380's...one with the new riser and one without....I still have to look very closely at them in order to be able to see the changes made.

There was a time a few years ago when a small batch of limbs was overheated during the camouflaging process. When these limbs were installed on the "Cannons"..aka the(now discontinued) Matrix 405 Kong bows and a few M380's...the limbs cracked.

Excalibur went to work to fix this issue and the improved riser was born.

For what it's worth, my Lynx has the original riser and has seen 1'000's of arrows with NO problems, and I have no plans to do anything with it except to keep shooting it!...But my other bow has seen a few sets of limbs, so hopefully the new riser will cure its limb eating tendencies.. :twisted:

In an effort to get bows back into the hands of hunters during hunting season , a very short turn around time for the repair was employed. One bow in particular was returned to its' owner with some exposed machining, showing metal through, where the camo was removed.

Rather than going directly back to Excal...The customer, instead ran to the forum to vent and complain to us.

So with this information many of us were afraid of the new upgrade being done to our "Best Hunting Buddy".

My reason for posting this information was to inform folks that the upgraded riser was very good, both in performance, and and beauty!! And that the (so-called) modified riser was NOT the monster that it had been made out to be.

Hope you all have a Great, Safe, Successful, and Blessed season!!
Wes
RobD

Post by RobD »

Thanks for the picture! I have a 2015 Matrix 380 Xtra coming that had its limbs replaced sometime last year. So it should definitely not have the over-cooked limbs on it now. This picture will let me see if it has the replacement riser or the original riser.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I had a modified gen 1 riser for a 335 micro for a little while. I compared it back to back with an unmodified gen 1 riser as well as a gen 2.

The workmanship was great, you couldn't see the marks unless you looked for it. And constantly it was shooting a 5 fps less than the unmodified version. However, when it can to pulling the arrows from the target. It didn't have a clue what riser the arrow passed over.
So all in all, I see no reason not to have it done, especially if you had a limb failure and are worried .

Edit to add that the micro does not receive the groove at 9 oclock
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

MTBighorn wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Excal added a very slight radius to the outside edge of the riser where the limb exits the riser to reduce limb stress at a focused point.
There is also a small semi-circle relief added to the riser face, just south of 9:00 O'clock from the riser hole, as seen in this picture. And the limb strap bolts now have shoulder bolts that bottom out, to prevent the straps from cinching down tight onto the limb face.

I have 2 M380's...one with the new riser and one without....I still have to look very closely at them in order to be able to see the changes made.

There was a time a few years ago when a small batch of limbs was overheated during the camouflaging process. When these limbs were installed on the "Cannons"..aka the(now discontinued) Matrix 405 Kong bows and a few M380's...the limbs cracked.

Excalibur went to work to fix this issue and the improved riser was born.

For what it's worth, my Lynx has the original riser and has seen 1'000's of arrows with NO problems, and I have no plans to do anything with it except to keep shooting it!...But my other bow has seen a few sets of limbs, so hopefully the new riser will cure its limb eating tendencies.. :twisted:

In an effort to get bows back into the hands of hunters during hunting season , a very short turn around time for the repair was employed. One bow in particular was returned to its' owner with some exposed machining, showing metal through, where the camo was removed.

Rather than going directly back to Excal...The customer, instead ran to the forum to vent and complain to us.

So with this information many of us were afraid of the new upgrade being done to our "Best Hunting Buddy".

My reason for posting this information was to inform folks that the upgraded riser was very good, both in performance, and and beauty!! And that the (so-called) modified riser was NOT the monster that it had been made out to be.

Hope you all have a Great, Safe, Successful, and Blessed season!!
Wes

Wes, thanks for your update on your new riser, congrats. Your take on the folks running to the forum and complaining is a tad flawed. Good read never the less...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Peashooterjoe

Post by Peashooterjoe »

Glad to see the updated one, I have an 380 also. Excalibur has always treated me right, no bashing on my part. Peashooterjoe
SEW

Post by SEW »

Encouraging z,