Lures & Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GMVT

Lures & Scents

Post by GMVT »

I'm going to try something a little different for me this year. I would like to try lure / scents at a spot off the trail I'll be watching to coax whatever passes (buck or doe), to stop for a moment to check it out, in hopes of getting a good standing shot at a deer who's attention is focused on something besides me. Vermont recently banned natural based lure, so the synthetics are my only option. Anyone have any experience with synthetics? And what's your favorite setup?
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
Riflemanz

Re: Lures & Scents

Post by Riflemanz »

Just make a sound like dudt with your mouth and they stop on a dime, then just pop them, no scent needed.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We use scent . It helps to get deer to stop at trail cameras . If you can use salt.USE IT!! If you have a tractor supply store nearby try the berry block. A friend has 100,s of pics each week since using them.
We are no baiting here in az. Salt works great. Scents work. Easy to find synthetic.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I like to lay a trail with deer dander on my way to my stand, but I circle it upwind. I also like ever calm, and James Valley scents. Where a lot of hunters make their mistake is to put scent down wind of their position, this just mixes your scent with the attractant. What I found works best is to get down wind of the trail, and have the scent up wind from the trail another 10 yards. You will not be winded this way.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!