How About A Fresh Start???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: How About A Fresh Start???

Post by SEW »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am
I contend that a deer will react quite violently to a noise 20 yds away, while it may just lift its head to look in that direction if the noise is 50yds away.

My repeated experience is just that.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Makes the discussion about 50yd shots much more interesting.

Also, early season versus late season makes a big difference. I hunt with my crossbow all year long, even through gun season. And once the guns start banging, the deer behavior changes quite alot. Much more wary and on edge. That same scenario I described for me the other day would have looked quite different in Dec. I think.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

janesy wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 pm
Sproul I have this conversation with guys all the time, specifically with coyote rifles. Why would you want to mentally adjust your scope point of aim if you don't have to. I think this all came about with the general public being introduced to MilDots. Show me one person who can actually use a MilDots setup in a typical hunting environment (who doesn't have extensive sniper training, and isn't hunting goats on the next mountain) and I'll try to learn again. The second I figured out that I can be 1H@100, 0@200 and -3@300 and all I have to do is make sure the lines cross at the right spot, I had my huge Burris sent back and the MilDots replaced with fine plex . Go ahead play Pacman with a deer in the background .

Anyhow, back to jumping strings
It's kind of a chicken and an egg thing I think.
Use a single reticle and guess at how far to aim above where you want to hit, or use multiple reticles and aim dead on with the right one risking using the wrong one. I've done both. I only used one sight pin back in the day when there were no good crossbow scopes. I'd zero at 25 and figure I was good 0 - 30. But now, I like aiming dead on and knowing my arrow will hit exactly there versus the holdover. IMO more to think about n the holdover mode. How far is the deer? How much to hold over? (say 3") OK, what does 3" look like on this deer at the distance it is? (big deer versus small doe)....

Either way is fine, just my thoughts.

I think this all plays into "string jump" as well. Guy sees a deer and figures it's 33 yds. Knows he has to hold over so does the "top of the back" deal and shoots over the deer. Did the deer "jump the string" or was it really at 29yds, the holdover only needed to be "top of the shoulder" and he pulled the shot 1" high?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Keith not everyone can admit their mistakes,, it happens, I admire your honesty,,, but at today's speed's and bows, deer jumping the string,,,, here we go again,,

I would like to set some of these sting jumped poor souls up in their stand situation, just like they had the deer jump a string in, and see what kind of group they can shoot in the exact same situation,,,, my money says most won't keep 5 arrows in a 4" group,, that's already 1/2 the size of a kill zone on most whitetails,, but good luck getting them to admit that too. That leaves 2" to work with,, then if you miss the yardage by 2 yards,, well call that jumping the string if you like, I call it reality or shooter error!

This is one reason I never practice with a rest,, it is easy to understand no matter how well you shoot offhand,, you will only shoot better with any rest, limit yourself to your abilities offhand, and you find a lot less deer jumping the string,,,, it sure seems to work for me!

There are a lot of little factors that get left out blaming any miss or bad shot on deer movement,, as above that means we have some that should practice a whole lot more,, or limit their shots inside,, 20 yards,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

janesy wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 pm
Sproul I have this conversation with guys all the time, specifically with coyote rifles. Why would you want to mentally adjust your scope point of aim if you don't have to. I think this all came about with the general public being introduced to MilDots. Show me one person who can actually use a MilDots setup in a typical hunting environment (who doesn't have extensive sniper training, and isn't hunting goats on the next mountain) and I'll try to learn again. The second I figured out that I can be 1H@100, 0@200 and -3@300 and all I have to do is make sure the lines cross at the right spot, I had my huge Burris sent back and the MilDots replaced with fine plex . Go ahead play Pacman with a deer in the background .

Anyhow, back to jumping strings
You are right ..I used fine plex wayback when dad said son I am buying your a Weaver scope ...Then I went to Leupold with heavier plex and fine in middle which i use now...Boy it was something to get scope in 60s I was proud as h BUT I missed a ton of Bucks with scope we were raised with peep sights..Running buck in drive was hard to put your crosshairs on ..

Sorry got off topic somewhat..
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Never ever had one duck under 25 yards where I limit my shots. All were steaks or jerky.