??? Spitfire Shooters ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phillyarcher

Re: ??? Spitfire Shooters ???

Post by Phillyarcher »

I have been using NAP Broadheads for years. When they came out with the mechanic ones I tried them and that's all I use today. The ones I shoot out of my Micro 335 are Spitfire Max 125 grain with the arrows are quills with Lumenoks. I have shot many a Deer with them and have great blood trails and they usually do not go that far. Has far as opening I have not had them open up. Knock on wood. Dicks Sporting Goods sell them 4 for 39.00. Sometime they give a rebate too. Good luck if you try them.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
mikej

Post by mikej »

Spitfire is the only head I have ever used , they fly exactly like field points and always leave a good blood trail . Until today I didn't know practice heads were available for them . I have been using a grim reaper practice head which flys the same for me
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mikej wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 pm
Spitfire is the only head I have ever used , they fly exactly like field points and always leave a good blood trail . Until today I didn't know practice heads were available for them . I have been using a grim reaper practice head which flys the same for me
saw them on e bay for $9.73 ..I took a SF hunting point and glued blades so I am using hunting point to practice ..I am using J.B.BOND ..
mikej

Post by mikej »

That's a good idea never thought of that
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Spitfire maxx are currently 4 for $35 at Dick's with $10 rebate & free shippimg
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I used Spitfire 100s for years with my vertical bow with great results and no failures.

My Excals are the bigger bows 400/405/405/380 and I do band them, just because.

As noted previously, the practice heads vary slightly in weight, but they seem to fly the same as superglued "real" Spitfires.

Again, as previously noted, AND they fly pretty close to my field points.

I really like them.

Although I was using Slick Tricks for my bear hunt, I'll go back to the Spitfires for deer (with maybe an exception to experiment with the Slick Tricks now that I've got some)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

You can order the practice head on line from nap cost for 100 grain is $8.99 for the 125 grain it is $9.99 . I stopped looking in sports shops for things like this as they don't carry them I order right from the company .
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Goose52 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 am
Spitfire maxx are currently 4 for $35 at Dick's with $10 rebate & free shippimg
I have been shooting them out of my Exocet for many years. No bands. They have always performed perfectly and they have the $10.00 rebate every fall which makes the price right as well.

It is generally a one and done head for me. 3/4 of my recovered broadheads have a wobble after being used on a deer. We have lots of granite ledge up here. I clean them up with a toothbrush and rebuild the ones I can.

The vast majority of the time someone has a problem with them opening on launch it is a self inflicted problem caused by playing with the head. Opening and closing them several times makes them open easier so just screw them on and hunt.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

At this point I have rebuilt a little better than about one out of three. As long as they don't connect with heavy bone or a brick chithouse behind them (ie granite or otherwise) they often remain true once new blades / spring shims replaced. I test them rather carefully before using them again however.
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm
... The vast majority of the time someone has a problem with them opening on launch it is a self inflicted problem caused by playing with the head. Opening and closing them several times makes them open easier so just screw them on and hunt.
In the single case I had a blade open upon firing, it was brand new, out of package (as in never fiddled with the blades), attached to a Big John Missile, spin tested, then launched. It was a one and only, but that was enough for me. Banding takes seconds, and there is no "down side".

Good advice to those first using them however! :wink:

Rebuilt three just this afternoon. Hope to be able to use them this fall...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

ThunderXB wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm
I used Spitfire 100s for years with my vertical bow with great results and no failures.

My Excals are the bigger bows 400/405/405/380 and I do band them, just because.

As noted previously, the practice heads vary slightly in weight, but they seem to fly the same as superglued "real" Spitfires.

Again, as previously noted, AND they fly pretty close to my field points.

I really like them.

Although I was using Slick Tricks for my bear hunt, I'll go back to the Spitfires for deer (with maybe an exception to experiment with the Slick Tricks now that I've got some)

100 gr Practice heads weight around 103 grs or so..
crossbow 100gr hunting heads can weight up to 105/106.9 grs
Regular hunting heads weight around 103 grs
If you take J B BOND and glue them your point will weight over 107 grs

like 2 grs more than crossbow heads not glued..
none weight 100 grs not even close ..

some say 125 heads weight 125 grs maybe so but not 100 gr heads..

yes the practice heads will hit just about same hole at 30 yards as glued hunting head BUT in our minds which confidence is a lot about getting a Buck I like idea I am shooting a hunting head ..glued heads really do not go in target very far some take a dremel tool to back of blades making them sharp so you can pull them out of target easier I have not done that yet on my bag of rags but I may do it...
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've found that the orthodontic elastic aerodynamic drag just about offsets the slightly heavier weight of the JB Weld.

Concerning impact points between the actual blade and the real practice point, I haven't tried the difference yet with a railed xbow. I could tell a difference at 50-60 yards when I was shooting Hoyt's .
I also shot and shoot Spitfires out of my vertical recurve but am not going to try to get anyone to believe I can shoot well enough to tell the difference between the practice blades and real blades.

I have appx 50 kills with Spitfires and 1 loss: an apparently well hit doe with the 1st year 2 blade out of an Oregon Valient Crusader. Will likely go back to SFs for everything.
Saltybuck

Post by Saltybuck »

I believe Wyvern Creations has the spitfire practice head to if anybody looking.
Micro Suppressor
Vixenmaster String
TN Zombies
Quickest way to insanity... chasing Sitka Blacktails
artifact

Post by artifact »

I missed a standing buck with my 380, that was 20yds in front of me while on the ground, with a Spitfire ! I did find the arrow 7' up in a tree 60yds from where I was sitting!
Apparently the blades opened up prematurely, kicked up off the stirrup, and away it went.
I didn't know about banding them at the time, but now know to band them after reading several posts about doing that on here.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

SEW wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm
I've found that the orthodontic elastic aerodynamic drag just about offsets the slightly heavier weight of the JB Weld.

Concerning impact points between the actual blade and the real practice point, I haven't tried the difference yet with a railed xbow. I could tell a difference at 50-60 yards when I was shooting Hoyt's .
I also shot and shoot Spitfires out of my vertical recurve but am not going to try to get anyone to believe I can shoot well enough to tell the difference between the practice blades and real blades.

I have appx 50 kills with Spitfires and 1 loss: an apparently well hit doe with the 1st year 2 blade out of an Oregon Valient Crusader. Will likely go back to SFs for everything.
Price at wal-mart is 29 dollars and you get mail in rebate of 10 bucks ..19 bucks for 3 points ....
I think last year at 30 yards the practice point shot in same hole as hunting point ..the hunting point was 3 grs heavier ..
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

I prefer broadheads made in the USA.
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!