Matrix 380; string/serving replacement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peacemaker

Matrix 380; string/serving replacement

Post by Peacemaker »

Hi guys, long time no speak. I hope y'all had a good summer.

I did a search and couldn't find anything....and may have even asked this question before but can't recall any helpful info.

So, generally, I replace the string on my Matrix 380 every season. Generally I probably take about 100-150 shots per year, but probably cock and de-cock another 150 times (lots of short, unsuccessful hunts behind the house). By the end of the season, the serving looks a bit worn. I figured it was easiest just to buy a new string every year (I just get the Excal 1992 string).

So I built a jig, bought a serving tool, watched Boo's youtube vids, and thought I would take a crack at re-serving my old strings. But when I put the old string on the jig and took a long hard look at the serving under a magnifying glass, the serving still looks tight and there is no "holes" or worn spots that show the string itself.

My question is, then, when is it time to re-serve a string, and when is it time to replace a string. I am sure that opinions will differ, and I am sure that once a year is not a bad schedule, but I am wondering what you experts do?

Also, as a side note, I always buy the same excel string and set the brace height the same (and I regularly correct for creep), and replacing the string SEEMS to have no effect on accuracy. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks as usual for your expert comments.....
8ptbuk

Re: Matrix 380; string/serving replacement

Post by 8ptbuk »

Hello, Was wondering if You apply any wax to your serving ? If not, I would recommend a light waxing regularly. Your circumstances sound about what I do here on the farm. In My opinion being cocked for periods of time is harder on serving than actually shooting occasionally.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I on the other hand don't wax my servin, jus my strings. I like the idea if'en the servin is good the string should be fine fer several yrs or 500-2500 shots.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

8ptbuk wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm
Hello, Was wondering if You apply any wax to your serving ? If not, I would recommend a light waxing regularly. Your circumstances sound about what I do here on the farm. In My opinion being cocked for periods of time is harder on serving than actually shooting occasionally.
Hi. Yes, I do wax the serving regularly. I agree that being cocked more seems more stress on the serving. Last year I did a lot more hunting (cocked of course) and a lot less shooting, and the serving took more of a beating.