Acorn crop?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Acorn crop?

Post by DuckHunt »

How is the acorn crop in your area? We have a bumper crop this year.

Our local DNR generally reports that the deer harvest is normally down in years with great mast because deer don't have to travel very far for food. This leads to less deer movement and therefore less sightings by hunters. I understand their logic, but I think locations can have unique circumstances. For instance, I normally have plenty of corn fields within a mile of my stand. The deer spend a lot of time in those fields when the mast is poor until the crops are cut. I've went weeks without a sighting in the woods. When there is good mast, I may get to see them in the woods before the rut. I can hope anyway.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
8ptbuk

Re: Acorn crop?

Post by 8ptbuk »

Alot here in SW Va. also, My food plots may not be very good this year !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
SEW

Post by SEW »

Bumper crop of White Oak acorns in NE Arkansas. Bear season opens on 23 Sep. Quota was reached during 2nd day last year.
When acorn start dropping, bait usage becomes less effective.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Here on the farm in SE Wisconsin, we have a huge crop of white and red oak acorns! Luckily there’s a row of oaks along the corner of one of my favorite hunting spots! Now if my health will allow me a few hours soon to get in a blind!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hunt the white acorns now.... Deer love them as they are less bitter than the reds.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hunt the white acorns now.... Deer love them as they are less bitter than the reds.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
GMVT

Post by GMVT »

Barely enough to feed the squirrels in my little piece of Vermont. But then again my woods are full of Bur Oaks, so maybe the rest of the state with the more common whites and reds are doing better. I'm seriously envious of those pictures of a carpet of acorns.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Large acorn crop in NW WI too.

So much so that it really impacted my bear hunting.

I did get a nice 310 lbs bear, but many of the larger bears were pulled off the baits the two weeks before the season started.

That and a bumper crop of blueberries and blackberries.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Our deer in pa are not even eating apples they walk right by them..

RED OAK in that pic deer will not eat here they want the WHITE OAKS..Forget reds look for whites.. YES you will see less sighting of deer when there is acorns and they will bed near food also...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

GMVT wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm
Barely enough to feed the squirrels in my little piece of Vermont. But then again my woods are full of Bur Oaks, so maybe the rest of the state with the more common whites and reds are doing better. I'm seriously envious of those pictures of a carpet of acorns.
Wrong acorns in that pic all they do is cause you to slip and fall..Hunt White oaks..Do we know what white oak leaf looks like? reds are pointed and whites are rounded..
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

The white oak's bark is light gray in color and flakey very similar to the chestnut oak and burr which all three will cross pollinate with each other. The leaves have rounded lobes. The white oak nuts are typically the first to fall. The animals preferred acorn as it has much less tannin and thus is sweeter to the taste. The red and black oak are the least preferred. The best thing I have found over the years is when we get a heavy acorn crop the following year we see the best antler growth providing we have good moisture. Sorry for the long post but its the forestry guy in me.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
GMVT

Post by GMVT »

sproulman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 pm
GMVT wrote:
Wrong acorns in that pic all they do is cause you to slip and fall..Hunt White oaks..Do we know what white oak leaf looks like? reds are pointed and whites are rounded..
Yup, I know what they look like. The bur oaks I have in my woods are a variety of white oak, leaves look identical. The burs are not common to this area, but I have lots of them. My woods are also full of black walnut, which are not native to the area. Then there's the bitternut hickory and some trees the local forester cant identify, so I'm thinking a botanical mad scientist lived here in the past. As for the reds, absent whites the deer will take them, so I wouldn't mind having a few around my place.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sproulman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm

RED OAK in that pic deer will not eat here they want the WHITE OAKS..Forget reds look for whites.. YES you will see less sighting of deer when there is acorns and they will bed near food also...
The acorns in the photos up top are from two trees that are very much white oak. Here is another picture with one of the leaves in the photo.
I've got about a dozen white oaks behind the house and one red oak. The two biggest white oaks have been dropping like rain. The smaller ones have dropped a few. The red oak hasn't dropped a thing.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

GMVT wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm
sproulman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 pm
GMVT wrote:
Yup, I know what they look like. The bur oaks I have in my woods are a variety of white oak, leaves look identical. The burs are not common to this area, but I have lots of them. My woods are also full of black walnut, which are not native to the area. Then there's the bitternut hickory and some trees the local forester cant identify, so I'm thinking a botanical mad scientist lived here in the past. As for the reds, absent whites the deer will take them, so I wouldn't mind having a few around my place.
YES as you know they will eat reds BUT only if its last thing around ...Find white oak and pour 10-10-10 around drip line..every year you will have big crop of whites and now you have honey hole for a Buck...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

DuckHunt wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 pm
sproulman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm

The acorns in the photos up top are from two trees that are very much white oak. Here is another picture with one of the leaves in the photo.
I've got about a dozen white oaks behind the house and one red oak. The two biggest white oaks have been dropping like rain. The smaller ones have dropped a few. The red oak hasn't dropped a thing.

DuckHunt
WOW that is lot of white oak and they are huge..unreal..