Range Finders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Yote

Range Finders

Post by Yote »

Looking to buy a range finder. Any thoughts on one of good quality and won't break the bank! Any info will be appreciated. :D
xcaliber

Re: Range Finders

Post by xcaliber »

I'm on my second Bushnell in 12 years, and yes both still work great. I practice from a stand, and 99% of my hunting is from a stand so did not get one with the arc compensation, but the prices have really dropped in the last few years, for around $200 you can get a loaded up one, for $130 you can get a good one.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I bought a Simmons with arc compensation for 120.00 at Fleet Farm last year and love it.
Sportsmans Guide sells them as well.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-The-Truth-with-ARC-Bowhunter-Laser-Rangefinder-202342-NEW-/192307793909?epid=1307972669&hash=item2cc6700ff5:g:hpgAAOSw9fRZvFpI

I bought the Bushnell "Truth"... a rangefinder with a 10/42 binocular set...as a combo for $149. I have been VERY happy this set for my crossbow!!. Look around you can find the combo available for very inexpensive.

Yes I have a Leica 1200 for my rifles and the vast expanse of the Montana plains!., but for the crossbow the "Truth" combo is perfect for the money :wink:
Last edited by MTBighorn on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Leupold RX-1200i TBR with DNA Digital Laser Rangefinder. Best rangefinder I've ever used. Red OLED display, and better optics than my Steiner binoculars.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I bought a Halo XRT650 Laser rangefinder for under a hundred and it works awesome. It has the angle compensation, continuous scan, very small & light! Works great from a elevated stand or from a blind.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I like the Nikons myself.If you are just using it for bowhunting, then the skys the limit. I would get one with the angle compensator and go somewhere the has a selecton that you can try out. Some brands have narrow LCDS that make it hard to see.The models with the red OLEDS are easy to read. Mine has a high magnifaction that I use instead of binos. We do sell alot of Pursuit and Halo models because they are a good value and work well. If want to use it for longer range gun hunting, they are more expensive. Know the difference between refective and non refective targets ranges on those. Also, most models are water resistant and not waterproof. Good luck on your choice :D
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
mikej

Post by mikej »

I've had good luck with my spy point
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Yote

Post by Yote »

Thanks for the info guys. I will begin researching!!! :D
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I bought a Simmons LR600 for just under a $100 on sale over 6 years ago added a $15 2 year extended warranty which has long expired. Runs on a 9volt battery. Never had any problems with it and still use it.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I like Bushnell got mine used on e bay for 80 bucks delivered ...You do not need that arc thing but if you can get it cheap go for it ...Look on hunting sites classifieds ...
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I still have a 1999 Tasco or Bushnell (forgot) yardage pro 400 that is great. Will read deer to about 200yd every time, but rarely further. I wanted something for longer range gun hunts, and got a Vortex Ranger 1500. It was really good but had trouble with deer past 300yd. Claims were deer to 750yd. Good rule of thumb is approx half distance or less of advertised range is what it will pick up a deer (non reflective object). So I took those back under a week. Cabelas had a sale on Leica 1650 for $599 from $799 but were out. So they gave me an instore coupon, and then a mailed coupon came, but I waited awhile and saw they have the Leicas on a Black Friday sale for $499. All said and done, they cost me $429 with the discounts. To say they are the best thing I have used is putting it lightly. I have actually got readings on deer over 1400yds away, and every distance in between every time. I even ranged turkeys at 900yds. They work thru vehicle or blind windows. Crystal clear, 7x magnification, small and compact. Absolutely awesome! I never thought I would spend that much, but am now extremely satisfied that I rolled the dice and took a chance.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The Leica rangefinders are great, but pricey! You can find one of the older models on ebay for about 2 bills in super shape. They are spot on!!! A little bigger and boxy, but they are so good. jmho
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

There are range finders at Dicks for 70/90 dollars with rebates of 30 dollars...
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

BrotherRon wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 pm
I bought a Simmons with arc compensation for 120.00 at Fleet Farm last year and love it.
Sportsmans Guide sells them as well.
Got the same one on sale also, for around $80, works just fine at the short distances I need it for. I compared it to my buddies which cost $300 and at 50yards and under we got the same results, his only shined when we tried 100+yards, something I don't need for bow hunting.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone