Twilight Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GMVT

Twilight Scope

Post by GMVT »

We can go to 1/2 hour after sunset here, and it gets pretty dark in the woods 1/2 hour after sunset. Looking to upgrade the scope that came with the bow to a light gathering scope for those last few minutes of the day. Can anyone recommend one that works well? Not just a good lighted reticle, but good at light gathering. I hate online product reviews, some say it's good some say it sucks. I look at the reviews on Cabela's and the first one says the Xcal scopes suck for light gathering. Hoping to get some ideas here.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
Normous

Re: Twilight Scope

Post by Normous »

Depending on your wallet the Leupold VXR with the Firedot reticle will make the corners of your lips raise on any shot at, and up to 1/2 hour after sunset.
3 of my crossbow use the VXR and I will say with 100% certainty that this is the best and last scope my crossbows will ever need the way I see it.
Beware of the high cost of the cheapest scope.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
L. E. Carroll

Re: Twilight Scope

Post by L. E. Carroll »

This is bound to upset some I'm sure :oops: but personally I don't take those " last minute of legal light " shots...

I do like an illuminated scope at the "Break of Dawn" and for this reason both of my Micros are set up with Hawke XB30 SR Pros. However, I personally I will not shoot a living animal as darkness sets in... We are not allowed "tracking dogs" in the field under any circumstances in my State :( If that were not the case, I would have a good dog and possibly a different outlook on the subject. :wink:

In the event of me losing a trail completely due to natures conditions or sparse blood trails and even those possibly being washed away overnight, I choose not to take that shot.( rains alot here in the Pacific NW )

I feel far too many animals are left to spoil overnight or are lost to predators and vermin during that time..

This is a particular consideration when your quary is Elk, which I very much enjoy hunting. These are very large deer with very thick hides that need to be opened as quickly as possible, and hopefully be hung up with the hide complelety removed to insure its quality as fit and tasty tablefare.

Just my $.02 and probably not worth even that amount. :lol:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier