Is this going overboard?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Re: Is this going overboard?

Post by ihunt »

Species8472 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 pm
Overboard IMO. I just hunt the wind. I typically hunt from the ground while smoking Cuban cigars and drinking from a 1 litre thermos of coffee. No scent control ever. Doing this i kill 2-6 deer every season depending on how many tags are available. Ranges are typically 15 to 40 yards. 2 weeks ago i took a bear from the ground at 25 yards with a cigar burning and an open thermos of coffee.

Not saying scent control wouldn't give me more opportunities but that i get enough without it - so why bother. I like my coffee and cigars almost as much as the hunting and cigars give a really good visual on what the wind is actually doing. You would be amazed at how often the wind at ground level in the bush does something completely different than the prevailing wind 20 feet up.
There you have it cigar smoking is your scent control, who knows maybe deer loves to smoke one too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Just get yourself a couple ozonics units ! :wink:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I used to muzzleloader party hunt near Dutton On and one year a guy shot a nice 8 point. He lit up a cigar before going over to get the deer. He was standing by a fencepost and a wopper came running out right downwind. He was able to get another load down the barrel and shot the bruiser if I remember correctly it had something like 32 points alltogether !
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

A mentor of mine who has passed had a small one man sign shop. Hand painted and did silk screening. His bow and gear, coveralls and boots were always in the shop. The paint and thinners and cigarette smoke smells were always present. He go his deer every year and he never played the wind.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm home now, so I started watching this video. At first I kinda though, hmmmm, maybe you might pick up a couple tips.
Then he said he swished his mouth with hydrogen peroxide.
Ya I'm out.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
R-BassJr

Post by R-BassJr »

I wash my bow close in scent free soap, let them air dry for 3+ wks, store them in plastic bags, shower b4 each hunt and dress outside. Not much human scent where i hunt and when the deer smell me i would like them to believe iam 5 miles away rather than bearing down in them as they ponder my location.
Micro Raid 335
16.5" Quills
150 gr Boltcutters
398-401 total gr weight
Meeeechigan(USA)
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Same as others, I was my cloths in scent free soap, but then stuff it all in a big bag. I then steal some nylons from my daughters and put a bunch of fresh cedar branches in the nylons, and give it a good twist to release all the oils from the cedar, and add it to the bag.

On my way to my stand, I try to walk in as many cow pies as I can, to cover my tracks. The cows walk all over the woods so its a great cover scent, minus the stink lol

But in the end, playing the wind works best
Last edited by Bullzeye on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
SEW

Post by SEW »

I haven't watched it yet. I believe it is very difficult to control the odor that is breathed out thru our lungs. We smell like a carnivore.

I used to go strictly vegetarian from 6 weeks prior to season and all thru it. Additionally, I used virtually all the other commonly used scent controls including taking chlorophyll tablets. All this seemed to work fairly well, especially the vegetarian diet/chlorophyll tablets. Rinsing mouth with H2O2 is a good idea imo. I dissolved a chlorophyll tablet in H2O2 and rinsed with that.

It all gets down to intensity. I bow hunted exclusively for 42 years - right thru our limited gun season. I didn't think going all out was extreme.

IMO, all the normal controls don't help much if the internal scent isn't controlled. A reverse carbon air filter would be easier. Have never found one. HINT: I'd buy one if available.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Only watched a couple minutes of it and saw how careless he was with scent control! Taking the clothes out of the dryer with only rubber gloves on and I could (almost) see those dead skin cells from his exposed face and arms raining down on the clean clothes! :shock:

Only a full size "body condom" can prevent such contamination, and if I have to wear a condom to hunt I'll just buy my meat at the grocery store (where no animals are harmed to get my meals). :roll: :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
janesy

Post by janesy »

wabi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:35 am
Only watched a couple minutes of it and saw how careless he was with scent control! Taking the clothes out of the dryer with only rubber gloves on and I could (almost) see those dead skin cells from his exposed face and arms raining down on the clean clothes! :shock:

Only a full size "body condom" can prevent such contamination, and if I have to wear a condom to hunt I'll just buy my meat at the grocery store (where no animals are harmed to get my meals). :roll: :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even then it's only 97% effective.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bullzeye wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm
Same as others, I was my cloths in scent free soap, but then stuff it all in a big bag. I then steal some nylons from my daughters and put a bunch of fresh cedar branches in the nylons, and give it a good twist to release all the oils from the cedar, and add it to the bag.

On my way to my stand, I try to walk in as many cow pies as I can, to cover my tracks. The cows walk all over the woods do its a great cover scent, minus the stink lol

But in the end, playing the wind works best
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
acreek

Post by acreek »

Like many, I use scent free detergent, scent killer spray, carbon type clothing, and rubber boots when deer hunting. If I see deer poop, I step in it.

I also spend a lot of time in the woods year around doing various things like keeping logging roads clear in the summer, planting and cutting food plots, cutting firewood, picking blackberries, riding the 4-wheeler around, shooting stumps, turkey hunting, coyote hunting, checking trail cams, and taking walks around the logging roads and by my stands. All of that serves a dual purpose, I believe. It gives me relaxation and recreation, and it also conditions the deer to my presence. I don't have problems with mature bucks going nocturnal. All of my resident bucks walk around during daylight. Frankly, I think they've grown up watching me piddle around the woods all the time and have had nothing bad happen to them when they've encountered me, so they see no need to change their behaviors.

The thing that shocks deer is when they've had the woods all to themselves for ten or eleven months and then there is a sudden influx of strange activity and odors.