Is this going overboard?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Is this going overboard?

Post by ihunt »

A friend of mine emailed me a link of a youtube video and after watching it the whole 22 mins of it got me wondering is the guy going overboard with this scent control.

Here's the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RplCKVWK8mw

So what are your thoughts? Is he going about it way to far? Do any of you apply any or all his scent control process?

I for sure don't but I do shower with scent control soap and apply to clothing but I don't go as far as he does.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
mikej

Re: Is this going overboard?

Post by mikej »

The link isn't working
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I gave up about 4 minutes in, he's a little to far over the edge for me. :mrgreen:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I guess it all boils down to what makes you a comfortable and gives you more confidence. Kinda like women and make up. :D No, no, bear with me. The similarities are strking. Men get all duded up for hunting by dressing for the occasion. Carefully chosen wardrobe designed to conceal the avid hunter. Carefully applied make up checked and rechecked so that the overall effect is achieved. All for a date with an animal. Women spend the same amount of time chosing the right outfit, and carefully applying makeup to achieve a desired effect. All for a date with an animal. :lol: See, we're not all that different from the ladies. :wink:
Hank
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I am carefull with my scent control, but proved years ago playing the wind is the best scent control one can rely on!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I try to take a shower before l go out. My clean washed in baking soda clothes go in a giant dufflebag with all kinds a leaves and ragweed local plants. I use doe p a lot on boots n in stand been working real good for a jillion years.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

From now until December, I shower with scent free soaps. I use unscented deodorant and I was my hunting clothes with scent killer product of some sort. My clothes are stored separately. On the morning of, I use baking soda to brush my teeth, and usual take a thermos of tea instead of coffee.
So I wouldn't say I drastically attack scent control. I'm showering and using deodorant anyway.
The way I see it, I can't change my natural scent, I simply try to limit the exposure of the unnatural ones. So if the wind is wrong, it all doesn't matter anyway
Then I inadvertently step in dog crap on the way in and it's all out the window lol
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

mikej wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 pm
The link isn't working
You have to copy and paste in a new tab. Copy link below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RplCKVWK8mw
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

hankenhunter wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm
Kinda like women and make up. :D ?........Women spend the same amount of time chosing the right outfit, and carefully applying makeup to achieve a desired effect. All for a date with an animal. :lol: See, we're not all that different from the ladies. :wink:
Hank
"Date with an animal" us men! Love it the best description ever :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 pm
I gave up about 4 minutes in, he's a little to far over the edge for me. :mrgreen:
Same here, watched it on and off, kept going back just to see how far this guy goes :shock:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
mikej

Post by mikej »

Ya I'd say it's going overboard
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective

Post by newbie »

wildcatter wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 pm
I am carefull with my scent control, but proved years ago playing the wind is the best scent control one can rely on!
this^
i basically just play the wind. even then the last two deer i shot walked past my pickup and followed my scent trail, down wind of me, into my stand. There is alot of human scent in my areas with 20 to 30 farm workers wandering around all day so human scent doesnt seem to bother them much.
Anytime i go change my camera cards it seems within the next 24 hour period i have a mature buck or doe come up and nose the camera enough to change how the camera hangs.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Same here. I don't bother with it much these days. You will never beat a deer's nose. It has more surface area than a dogs nose and it also has a Vomeronasal Gland which allows them to "taste" the air. Hunt the wind and it isn't an issue.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

newbie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 pm
There is alot of human scent in my areas with 20 to 30 farm workers wandering around all day so human scent doesnt seem to bother them much.
Anytime i go change my camera cards it seems within the next 24 hour period i have a mature buck or doe come up and nose the camera enough to change how the camera hangs.
Good observation, totally agree with you.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Overboard IMO. I just hunt the wind. I typically hunt from the ground while smoking Cuban cigars and drinking from a 1 litre thermos of coffee. No scent control ever. Doing this i kill 2-6 deer every season depending on how many tags are available. Ranges are typically 15 to 40 yards. 2 weeks ago i took a bear from the ground at 25 yards with a cigar burning and an open thermos of coffee.

Not saying scent control wouldn't give me more opportunities but that i get enough without it - so why bother. I like my coffee and cigars almost as much as the hunting and cigars give a really good visual on what the wind is actually doing. You would be amazed at how often the wind at ground level in the bush does something completely different than the prevailing wind 20 feet up.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend