Hunting Upland Game With a Bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Hunting Upland Game With a Bow

Post by Hi5 »

I just bought some G5 Small Game blunts. I'd like to use them on Ruffed Grouse.

The bow I plan to use is a Micro 355.

Here's the problem. At any normal range I would be shooting, those blunts are going to blow right through the bird and make mincemeat of a lot more meat than I want. I need to slow things down. Changing limbs would possibly do it. Using some outlandish Flu Flu fletching would slow things a bit, maybe. Swapping out limbs is just not going to happen and I doubt crazy fletching would make enough difference.

So, I've been wondering if it would be feasible to reduce arrow speed by using an overlength string? If the bow can be cocked and the limbs are only partially stretched, that would result in less energy applied to the arrow. For close range shooting, such as would happen with grouse, the point of impact shouldn't change that much, one would think?

Has anyone tried this? Drawbacks?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GMVT

Re: Hunting Upland Game With a Bow

Post by GMVT »

Check out the Snaro Bird Point, they might work for you.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Even my slow vixen ll 260fps blows thru turkeys n deer . You might wany to look into a youth kinda slower crossbow llike a cub .....but even they are fast.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

You brought back memories for me using recurve Fred Bear bow with cedar arrows on flushing pheasants ..We never shot them on ground ..That was fun... 8)
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Edit
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

My suggestion is to buy some inexpensive 2219 aluminum arrows and have them cut so they extend beyond your stirrup. As mentioned use the snarro point (which looks like four big wire loops) and take head shots on your chickens. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

sproulman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:23 pm
You brought back memories for me using recurve Fred Bear bow with cedar arrows on flushing pheasants ..We never shot them on ground ..That was fun... 8)
Same here except I was shooting grouse.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Try using a VPA Turkey Spur, they have a gap designed to slow things down.

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Sometime ago I had posted the idea to make a D loop that attaches to your regular string to shorten the power stroke of the main string. I did not personally try it, but it should work and would be fairly easy to try. The biggest thing would be to make sure that you still have several inches of the arrow under the hold down spring. You would need to have a scope mount without the ADF mechanism or temporarily disable the ADF. Just another thought on how to slow down your arrow.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

shafferm wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 pm
Sometime ago I had posted the idea to make a D loop that attaches to your regular string to shorten the power stroke of the main string. I did not personally try it, but it should work and would be fairly easy to try. The biggest thing would be to make sure that you still have several inches of the arrow under the hold down spring. You would need to have a scope mount without the ADF mechanism or temporarily disable the ADF. Just another thought on how to slow down your arrow.
How would you get the D loop to engage the latches?
Hank
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Here was what I had in mind. Image
You do have to put some down pressure on the cocking hooks as they want to jump up onto the rail.
You will also need to be sure that you have good tension on your arrow hold down
Here it is cocked and ready to go, the speed is substantially less than what you get at full draw. Can adjust the D loop to give about any speed one would want. I tried a couple of shots like this with 550 cord as the D loop material. Would probably want to get something a bit less stretchy if you wanted to use it alot as the claws will eventually chew through the 550 cord without serving material.
2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thanks for the replies.

Shafferm, we are getting a similar effect doing it your way or the way I was pondering about. However, if that loop could be made secure, but be quickly and easily detached, and the arrow hold down could reach forward far enough to secure the arrow, by golly you would have the superior solution..

I've been thinking of switching an old ExoMax string onto my Micro, just to see how much less bend that would put in the limbs. I'm concerned though, that this might put extra stress on the limbs if it allows too much forward flex .
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I would avoid using the Exomax string on the Micro as it is likely to come off on each shot, and with the string not there to help stop the forward limb movement you are likely to cause early limb failure. If you were willing to take a screwdriver with you then you could take two of metal D loop replacements such as the TRU ball tru noks and some D loop string. You will need to make sure the metal piece is able to open large enough to attach to the string. The metal pieces would go one on each side of your serving and then tie the D loop string to the two metal pieces. Once you got the string length set for how fast you wanted the bow to go you would then be able to fairly rapidly take your rope and two metal attachments on and off. It should be fairly repeatable for speed as long as the D loop material is not stretching much. You could always build your own connecting rope out of some of the newer low stretch string materials and serve it if you wanted to go all out.
2002 Exomag
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Custom built lit nocks
Bunda62

Post by Bunda62 »

Flu flu arrows the cock feather folds down in flight groove
But the cock vane makes contact with the foot stirrup and wears out fast.You can make a u shape in it but requires' aluminum welding.I seen someone using a piece of rope for a stirrup might be the best.Then when done with smallgame just put your stirrup back on.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

shafferm wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm
Here was what I had in mind. Image
You do have to put some down pressure on the cocking hooks as they want to jump up onto the rail.
You will also need to be sure that you have good tension on your arrow hold down
Here it is cocked and ready to go, the speed is substantially less than what you get at full draw. Can adjust the D loop to give about any speed one would want. I tried a couple of shots like this with 550 cord as the D loop material. Would probably want to get something a bit less stretchy if you wanted to use it alot as the claws will eventually chew through the 550 cord without serving material.
Well I'll be jiggered. That is a great idea! Wonder how well amsteel rope would hold up?
Hank