Is modern hunting actually easier?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Is modern hunting actually easier?

Post by vixenmaster »

Easier in some ways the weapons have made it that way. I killed hundreds of tick toters before these Comm. gimmicks came on the scene. Some wid Recurve stick Bows a few wid the Compound n lots wid the crossbow. Back when i was young n able to slip n tip i did many a tick toter in wid a rifle. Heck they did not even knowed i was in the same county they were in. Did not knowed what camo was in clothin til past 40 yrs. Heck i used to dig a pit at the edge of bean field n stack'em up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Jim, Sproulman. I wish you would say what you're thinking. I look forward to your input on many issues. I'm stating things from here in Indiana where I'm sure deer hunting is different from Pa. There can be no wrong posts on opinions in my opinion! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

vixenmaster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 pm
Easier in some ways the weapons have made it that way. I killed hundreds of tick toters before these Comm. gimmicks came on the scene. Some wid Recurve stick Bows a few wid the Compound n lots wid the crossbow. Back when i was young n able to slip n tip i did many a tick toter in wid a rifle. Heck they did not even knowed i was in the same county they were in. Did not knowed what camo was in clothin til past 40 yrs. Heck i used to dig a pit at the edge of bean field n stack'em up
Yep, and these new inline soot burners are wayyyy better accurate, and they go BOOM even in the early morning fog. :lol: :lol: I would not trade my Optima for my old No.11 Hawken! :wink:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

funny story

different hunting forum-

guy has had trail camera out for months before the start of the season. lots of photos of big bucks

the week prior tio season he comes on the site - basically whining( in my opinion)

" I went and checked My cameras today. I got no pictures - like the bucks disappeared. what do I do now?"

,My reply---"TRY HUNTING"

I can remember going on a hunts in the 70's 80's even the 90's with my military back pack some snacks - knife - a d battery boyscout flashlight etc. - canteen/ boda bag for water -pair of 7x35 bushnell binoculars my rifle with a 4 power tasco scope - drive to end of dirt road in my 2 wheel drive pickup and get out and hunt. old military jacket for camo- poncho

yes we tagged and harvest meat to take home

NOW___
we all know whats available to hunters today- we see quads and atvs etc. optics worth1000's of dollars range finders scopes spotting scopes to name a few advancements

rifles and ammo that shoot 1000' yrds accuraty etc

advances in archery - muzzleloading making them way more accurate and easy to shoot

techno hunting has changed the face and values and even ethics of hunting

is it easier to hunt now - YEP!

today its full of trophy hunts who actually care more for the antlers than the meat

a recent governors tag here in Arizona for a single elk tag sold 185,000 $

the governors tag- a single tag for muledeer 265,000$

do you think he was after the meat to feed his family or the antlers to feed his ego!

that's not including guide fee's- plane fee;s to fly here to hunt- taxidermy fee's to get it mounted

heres what a $185,000 + extras elk from Arizona looks like score 442 just to clarify-governors tag is a 1 yr hunt anywhere in the state except reservations

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

elkaholic wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 pm
funny story

different hunting forum-

guy has had trail camera out for months before the start of the season. lots of photos of big bucks

the week prior tio season he comes on the site - basically whining( in my opinion)

" I went and checked My cameras today. I got no pictures - like the bucks disappeared. what do I do now?"

I can remember going on a hunts in the 70's 80's even the 90's with my military back pack some snacks - knife - a d battery boyscout flashlight etc. - canteen/ boda bag for water -pair of 7x35 bushnell binoculars my rifle with a 4 power tasco scope - drive to end of dirt road in my 2 wheel drive pickup and get out and hunt. old military jacket for camo- poncho

NOW___
we all know whats available to hunters today- we see quads and atvs etc. optics worth1000's of dollars range finders scopes spotting scopes to name a few advancements

advances in archery - muzzleloading making them way more accurate and easy to shoot

today its full of trophy hunts who actually care more for the antlers than the meat

do you think he was after the meat to feed his family or the antlers to feed his ego!

that's not including guide fee's- plane fee;s to fly here to hunt- taxidermy fee's to get it mounted

heres what a $185,000 + extras elk from Arizona looks like score 442 just to clarify-governors tag is a 1 yr hunt anywhere in the state except reservations

I have one word, WOW! :wink:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

janesy wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:39 pm

What made me think was, has all of this scent products actually made hunting easier? Do the faster and faster bow actually make hunting easier? Camo? Ask Jimbo sitting on a long with a cigarette, a longbow and a flannel shirt in 1975. Whats changed? He still got his deer
A good amount of being successful is having confidence in what you are doing and that's different for each and everyone of us. Not sure if deer hunting is easier then or now but it has most to do with Deer herd numbers than anything. Camo can help or hurt depending on the pattern. Bows? high speed has less trajectory. Cigarettes: not a known human scent, can push or pull them in. If you are a guy like me living with low #'s I use some tricks but it doesn't make it easy, it just make makes the difference between perhaps seeing a deer or seeing squirrels yet again
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
janesy

Post by janesy »

Some great answers, keep it up. I can certainly see some aspects getting easier. ATVS and winches, proper climbing gear. That most definately adds to the safety and knowledge side of it.
At a camp that I go to once a year for an ATV ride, they've got a piece of wood that they have been writing the "harvest" count and the name of the shooter on it since the 60's and 70's. It's pretty cool. But one thing I always found interesting is that the numbers never really change. You'd think with all of this technology and advanced gear, the board would be showing more deer now than the good old days. Maybe there were more deer back then? Or maybe now we don't have to try as hard to achieve what was a real chore back when and we've gotten lazy.
Doesn't have to be deer only, toss your experience in the pot
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 pm
funny story

different hunting forum-

NOW___

Where does that money go, out of curiousity?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

ihunt wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:14 pm
sproulman wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 pm
deleted
sproulman wrote:
deleted
sproulman wrote:
deleted

The heat is not just affecting the deer too :lol: :lol: just kidding
See what LYMES does to ya :cry: :cry:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

:roll:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I think lack of access to property that historically actually contained game that was open to all is a factor also.

Where I hunt here in Wa. State, what used to be massive amounts of privately owned timber land which in many cases amounted to thousands of square miles which was generally accessable for hunting by all..... Now has went the way of Texas, Colorado, and several other Western States with decent game populations... where it's definately a "Pay to Play" situation. :roll: :cry:

Once huge tracts of land, generally hunt-able by all, are no longer hunt-able due to huge amounts of $$ being generated and offered by Hunting Clubs which allows small numbers of people to tie up large tracts of land due to greed now that land owners see what they can make by choosing to go that route.

So in my case,gates on state and federal land restricting my access due to my age and my physical limitations, as well as the VERY High Costs involved in Paying for access for a decent private timber place to hunt is in deed making hunting harder.

This is regardless the hunting method and equipment I may choose for that years hunt. (WE are only allowed 1 deer in most cases and 1 Elk per yea, and I must choose the tags and license for my particular method of hunting prior to opening of our hunting seasons. You can not change your weapon of choice once tags are bought. )

Let us not forget the chance of no Early Archery season at all after your tags are bought due to extreme heat, dryness and forest fires in years such as we are experiencing here this year shutting the season down completely until or if weather conditions improove... I'm surprised they opened even the small state and federal areas that were open to hunters during our past "Early Season".

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Duplicate post ... Sorry
Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

the funds raised thru the different governors tags goes directly to AZG&F department to habitat improvement and watercatchments etc. It's suppose to help all wildlife projects
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Gene,We have different situation here on publicland in pa..Lots of land to hunt with very few deer left..Seeing 50 deer a day easy back in 60s to 80 is now gone.I sat for 4 days and saw no deer last season...in archery I saw only 2 hunters in woods rest riding roads shooting out windows...

i have 2friends they pay 7,000.00 for 3 day hunt for buck in iowa..They get huge bucks ..

Doe hunting ruined my area then add in coyotes no fawns ....

now they are saying Ruff Grouse are all gone too they have virus..I have not seen A grouse this year at all used to see 10 in each hollow...but I see eagles,cooperhawks,fox,coyotes,bobcats,cougars,fishers predators all over ...

It is very sad what is happening to our woods and game left....Then Slob shoots my friend for Pheasant he thought he was Dick Cheney .. :roll:
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

dont know if its easier .but there is a lot less land to hunt on these days that makes it harder when you want to be over there and now its posted years ago it was not