Venting and asking for input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Re: Venting and asking for input

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I agree with what janesy said. A number of years ago I filled out a request and never heard a thing back. Glad I didn't put in a 50% deposit !! Maybe I'm a bailer now too LOL !!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Don,
The world is changing. Sad but true.
I'd keep life simple: pay when order.
Steve
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Don
I think requiring half up front is more than reasonable. I don't know of any other custom service that anyone can get without at least covering the vendors expenses before work begins. When it comes down to it just make sure you will be happy with the outcome whatever that may be. Do what makes you happy and those of us that understand business and quality will meet the requirements.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm
I agree with what janesy said. A number of years ago I filled out a request and never heard a thing back. Glad I didn't put in a 50% deposit !! Maybe I'm a bailer now too LOL !!
Just to clarify, I got my string, and a bunch of other goodies and valued advice. Don's gone over and above for me in the recent past. My point was that if someone wanted to bail, it's pretty easy when there are no strings attached. Clearly with 11 unaccepted orders, the customer base is not expecting to be held accountable, that goes to their word, not Don's. Sad.

I want to add that 50% is too much work. Pay in full.
There's a saying in retail when it comes to these scenarios... " if they aren't will to pay now, why would they pay later?"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

"What really pisses me off more is that my orders go back to 2015"

Maybe this is part of the problem. There is no good excuse for these people's behavior, but two tears is a long time if you need a new string. You probably warn people of the time involved but not everyone is honorable and they probably just buy a string elsewhere and don't let you know.
axiom
350 SE
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I can't speak for Don but if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be interested in creating more work by taking half up front and keeping track of it all. I don't think the juice would justify the squeeze. I'd rather place my order and pay....with a ballpark estimation for delivery. Easy peasy. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 pm
Don,
Here's my 2 cents. You need to sit down and re-evaluate what you are doing. Pick the top 2 or 3 things you really want to do, and then do those. Although it is "in" to be exhasuted all the time and have a schedule that runs us in circles...that is not how God intended you to live life. Build some margin into it. Have time to just sit and talk to someone who really needs that. Go hunting... take your wife on a date...whatever.

You can't add any more days to your life...but you CAN add more life to your days.

You said you wanted real suggestions... :mrgreen:

Besides, if making strings for anybody is high on your list, then this will cut down your lead-time, which I think would help. Another option is to limit your customer base to existing guys you trust..............

Keith
Crap Keith, if I did that, I would not spend a couple of hours week helping people nor would I have Boofest or a charity. If only you could see the amount I help others, friends and strangers alike and it is my pleasure to help (assuming they aren't being lazy). You know the drill Keith. I know you help lots of people as well.
When you hit my age, you'll hopefully find that there's a bunch of things you still want to do. But you look down that tunnel and see no light and the tunnel has an end you can see.
Limit to those existing people? about 15% of my orders are outside of north America.
This all about honour and respect that seems to be missing. Again, I'm mostly venting but I do appreciate your thoughts and effort buddy!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

paulaboutform wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:21 am
The above statements are my exact sentiments before I even read them. Money up front before the build. Period. Also, I know string building isn't your livelihood Don. Having said that, I would keep a list of people not to sell strings to. That's an easy way to avoid some irritations.

Paul
X2
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

paulaboutform wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm
I can't speak for Don but if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be interested in creating more work by taking half up front and keeping track of it all. I don't think the juice would justify the squeeze. I'd rather place my order and pay....with a ballpark estimation for delivery. Easy peasy. :wink:

Paul
I totally agree with you Paul and all the other posts that state payment in full at the time of order. I could have and should have been more clear in my post that at least half should seem reasonable to anyone requesting the services not that it should seem reasonable to Don. I fully support and appreciate Don's and all the other services available thru this forum and will always be willing to pay up front.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Ask for 1/2 for deposit and if you notify them when it is done and they don't reply give them 90 days or so the reply noting that to them then sell to the next costumer .
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I see two issues.
1) Lack of payment when the job is complete.
2) A two year backlog of work.

The first one is easier if you address them both. Asking for full payment upon order is totally reasonable for custom work. But having to wait two deer seasons for delivery leaves a lot of room for forgetfulness. It hasn't been one season and I totally forgot one of my treestands from last season. :oops:

Limit the number of orders you accept to something that can be delivered in 4-6 months. My taxidermist takes an annual approach. He likes to have a clean house before the next season starts, so when he has enough work to keep him busy until the next deer season he stops accepting mounts. He still advertises 9-12 months for delivery, with 1/2 up front, and generally he's right on schedule. Having a shorter backlog also makes it easier to shift to other hobbies.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I will also say if a person buys something from me --on ebay or from a forum I got payment in hand before its shipped!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Don

You like helping folks. The world needs more people with your attitude.

I think you need to organize how you do things so less effort is wasted on stuff that's not required to enable you to be helpful.

So, insist on all money up front. Let that be your "deposit". It keeps bookkeeping simpler. If your bookkeeping is not simple, you get more headaches. A serious buyer should have no problem with money up front. The amount involved is not huge, and someone wanting your product should have no problem with helping you to keep your system simple.

When an order is placed the person making the order should be forced to declare that they accept responsibility for providing you with a shipping address which will be correct when you ship, and that is where you will ship, at their risk, unless they pay for insured shipping.

Maybe my best suggestion is not to accept every order you receive.

I'm sure there are other string makers who can make a good product. If you know you are going to be too busy to give the kind of turnaround that you would like if you were a buyer, refer the customer to a competitor who is making a good product and is fair on pricing. You know the trade. You are still being helpful if you give that kind of referral when you can't perform up to your own standards. It took me a long time to accept the idea that I'm still helping people if I refer them to another source rather than commit to something I shouldn't.

That's just being fair--to the buyer, and even more importantly, to you. You don't deserve stress. If your hobby is a small business, acknowledge to yourself that it is small and keep it small in how much nervous energy you devote to it. Otherwise you are using up your nervous energy and it's being wasted on something that is small that ought to be treated as such.

If what began as a hobby has bloomed into a small business that should be expanded, that's a whole different model. If that's the case, you should seek some business advice on a confidential basis from someone who can offer better advice than I can.

Regards

Norman
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I know you are a custom string maker but maybe life would be better if you say dropped the costume work and say make x amount of micro strings, x amount of long limb strings , x amount of matrix strings of the builders choice in colors, length ect , then just sell them to first come first serve, limit 2 strings per customer , customers will still get a high quality custom string with no hassle.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

don,
i dont know much from a business stand point but as a customer i dont think i have custom ordered anything without a 50% deposit and most times it has to be paid in full when the order is placed. i think an arrangement lsomething like this this would be expected by the customer that intends to follow thru and wud help weed out the "bailers"
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife