Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Venting and asking for input

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm
I see two issues.
1) Lack of payment when the job is complete.
2) A two year backlog of work.

The first one is easier if you address them both. Asking for full payment upon order is totally reasonable for custom work. But having to wait two deer seasons for delivery leaves a lot of room for forgetfulness. It hasn't been one season and I totally forgot one of my treestands from last season. :oops:

Limit the number of orders you accept to something that can be delivered in 4-6 months. My taxidermist takes an annual approach. He likes to have a clean house before the next season starts, so when he has enough work to keep him busy until the next deer season he stops accepting mounts. He still advertises 9-12 months for delivery, with 1/2 up front, and generally he's right on schedule. Having a shorter backlog also makes it easier to shift to other hobbies.

DuckHunt
I do offer a Force 10 string with a 1 to 2 week completing date. As well, if someone presents a good case for a 40 strand string soon, I'll help out.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Don,
I'll tell you how I handle My String orders, As done stated, Ask for payment up front ! Most use PayPal but some use a Money Order or cheque (check) Wich is fine BUT understand I'm not starting the string until the cheque is cashed ! PayPal is going to get your string to you much quicker. I built an Excel Spreadsheet to keep up with all aspects of the order, Date of order, Date of payment received, Date string shipped, And details of the string requested. So far it's worked great but Im sure You get ALOT more orders than I do. I understand Your frustration ! Building strings is VERY time consuming ! Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I agree with the fact that you need to collect some sort of payment up front... I would say 50% down and 50% when the string is ready to ship.
I believe this will eliminate the bailers and also cut down on your work load so that you can catch up a little. :wink:
You create awesome strings that are very much worth the wait.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 am
The way I see it, the new company rule states a customer will get his string after he pays for it.
This. I know its rough whwn you have to wait a while but so be it. It will weed out guys not committed.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

First: Do NOT quit! I'd have to send Guido after you!! :lol:

Second: Request payment in advance as many noted. I would have zero issues complying!

Third: Keep making the best damn strings a man can hunt with!!

Thanks!
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am
Thank you Dan, but there are lots of people who will jump at the strings. I just have to find the time to match up orders with orphan strings. What really pisses me off more is that my orders go back to 2015 and these jerks are making their wait longer than need be. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least responded to my emails and said they didn't need it anymore and maybe even an apology.
Somehow, I'll fix this.
I still want to purchase one, but I want you to send it Ironnoggin, Matt for his Birthday, we share the same day, and he would appreciate the string very much. Let me know in a PM what to send you, and get that string out before April 13th!

Thanks Don! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am
Thank you Dan, but there are lots of people who will jump at the strings. I just have to find the time to match up orders with orphan strings. What really pisses me off more is that my orders go back to 2015 and these jerks are making their wait longer than need be. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least responded to my emails and said they didn't need it anymore and maybe even an apology.
Somehow, I'll fix this.
I still want to purchase one, but I want you to send it Ironnoggin, Matt for his Birthday, we share the same day, and he would appreciate the string very much. Let me know in a PM what to send you, and get that string out before April 13th!

Thanks Don! :wink:

My birthday is April 26 in case anyone is interested.
:lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ron, sorry bud. You missed it like by two weeks! :lol: If Boo will do two, I'm cool with that! But that's it! :lol:
JRS

Post by JRS »

DuckHunt wrote:
I see two issues.

The first one is easier if you address them both. Asking for full payment upon order is totally reasonable for custom work. But having to wait two deer seasons for delivery leaves a lot of room for forgetfulness. It hasn't been one season and I totally forgot one of my treestands from last season. :oops:

Limit the number of orders you accept to something that can be delivered in 4-6 months. My taxidermist takes an annual approach. He likes to have a clean house before the next season starts, so when he has enough work to keep him busy until the next deer season he stops accepting mounts. He still advertises 9-12 months for delivery, with 1/2 up front, and generally he's right on schedule. Having a shorter backlog also makes it easier to shift to other hobbies.

DuckHunt
I agree. I know that people are warned ahead of time that it will be some time before they get their string, but two years? Either not enough time is being put aside for the string business, or you have taken on more than you can handle in the time you are willing to devote to it. I'll bet that the turn around time is a big part of the problem. You advertise your archery services as you would a business, but in reality it is only a hobby.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Payment upfront as others have said!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm
Yep full payment due upon request. Then you give them an estimated ship date. Just like amazon. Pay now and they ship it as soon as they can...:)
Easiest "payment plan" of all...100% down and NO monthly payments! Don, get your money. Nobody is going to fault you for that, or question your integrity or ethics.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I gotta agree with others,, 50% deposit or full payment to get on the list,,, I don't think the 50% is out of line if someone really want's it. The full payment would my choice, and I think I've sent payment before one has come before, if they are not willing to those terms,, I don't how they could be committed later, and if they ain't,, hey others have less waite time.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

This is why l stopped making custom arrows years ago.l would break my a $$ stay up late to get n order in and then have them never show up . I would try to make them put a decent deposit down but you still get burned. I found that moneywise l was better off taking on an extra job when l could at my regular business and have more time for my own hobby. Its a shame but true.everyone thinks your making a killing too. lololo.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

JRS wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
I see two issues.

DuckHunt
I agree. I know that people are warned ahead of time that it will be some time before they get their string, but two years? Either not enough time is being put aside for the string business, or you have taken on more than you can handle in the time you are willing to devote to it. I'll bet that the turn around time is a big part of the problem. You advertise your archery services as you would a business, but in reality it is only a hobby.
Again, I guess I am not conveying well. An order comes up. I contact him. He says yes. I make the string in a couple of days to a week. I send a PayPal request. I get no payment.
Regardless of how old the order is, if I contact the person and he commits he should pay if I make the string and send a PayPal request 2 to 7 days later.
It is not like I say will make the string and make it 2 yrs later. Nor am I disappointed if I contact him 2 yrs later and there is no answer.
Set enough time aside? LOL! If you only knew! The reality is that I have to learn to say no.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

To be clear, my asking for strings is not going to happen, and Don explained very well to me why. It is not to sell strings, or about the money. It's just plain wrong, and disrespectful to not get back to him to cancel and order, or explain why you no longer want one.
Don, I'm not going to bother you until you get this worked out. There have been some great suggestions, but you need to figure out what is the path best taken. You have all the support you need, and hopefully things work out well for all.