Venting and asking for input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Venting and asking for input

Post by xcaliber »

Your eloquent writing skills, exciting hunting stories, oh and we share the same birthday! :lol: :lol:
That about sums it up.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Give the names to Anthony and have him send out a Soldato or two to tune up the offenders.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

don you offer the best there is out there ! get the money up front weed out the dead wood. :idea:
R-BassJr

Post by R-BassJr »

Mr Don, I agree with many that your way forward is to provide prospects with the cost of the strings, an estimate on shipping and a time of completion whilst requesting cc info for pymnt before you begin. I feel you might also consider; your not performing this service just to make people happy. You have a skill and your customers benefit by receiving a handmade product which you stand behind. They will ultimately be happy once you deliver. I too engage in things such as making smoking meat sticks for friends. I request money upfront for raw materials & my time while giving money back at the end if the dry yield is less than I predicted. I'm doing this work more as favor and don't feel at all bad about asking them a favor in return of helping me with the money up front. Long story short; it is my time I am putting in and I fulfill my end of the bargain when I see them smile on their first bite. And I always scratch out a profit to eventually put towards more tinfoil or wood pucks. Good luck and I hope to contact you after this season to inquire about a string for my Micro RAID. Have done a lot of practicing with the string it came with and the serving is looking worn.
Micro Raid 335
16.5" Quills
150 gr Boltcutters
398-401 total gr weight
Meeeechigan(USA)
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Don,

Cash in advance is the way to go for sure!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Don;
Most has already been said let me try. Try to relax. You need to enjoy life more. If your pulling your hair out with this then just make some hard decisions grab the wife and travel. It is your time and yours alone. You worked hard for what you have and it is time to enjoy the fruits of it. My Dad came home from work to die and I see no up side in doing it that way. Enjoy yourself and family. All the best to you.
As far as doing work for others I have found that a down payment weeds out the not so serious people. Full payment with a completion dare even better.
roly

Post by roly »

It's time to slow down Sir. Pick a number of strings you want to make in a month and that's it.
Anyone who wants a quality string has no problem with paying up front.
It's no fun being taken advantage of, and I know it's hard to say no. :lol: :lol:
rej

Post by rej »

Don, you are a legend on this site for your skills, generosity and all round great guy. I think a deposit of 35 or 40 percent would be in keeping with that image. It will likely eliminate triflers. Send a reply stating order has been received and will be fulfilled. I have two very fine knives from Da Griz(Darryl) and I had to pay up front. You should try hard to save time for yourself. Life goes by very quick. I would like all on here to know how thoughtful Don is and give this example. Couple years or so back I posted that I was looking for some sundry items and did anyone know where I could find them. About a week later a box comes in the mail and the items are in there with a note from Don. He did not ask me for a penny and hoped they would help. That is a rare gesture in todays world and I should have acknowledged it sooner. Thank you Don for your generosity and thoughtfulness.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Boo wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:44 pm
Thanks guys! You've all give me good things to think about.
One hundred percent payment before making the string as well as a completion date is a definite. I don't like doing that but it seems it's my best option.
Upfront payment isn't too much to ask! It should be a foregone assumption!

I have had the privilege of shooting your strings for years. They are worth the wait!

Having said that Don, if you no longer find joy in the process it might be time to dial back... or take a break and take it up again later. No matter what, don't let yourself be taken advantage of!

Fondly,
Moni
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rayman

Post by rayman »

You're not the only one with this issue by a long shot.

I have learned to always try to get work orders in writing, even if only with a confirmation text message. Never by phone alone.

For a smaller ticket item, many people are going to figure you're not going to bother running down the payment so they plan not paying from the beginning.

So many people are just so squirrely. Not only does a handshake not mean much, but sometimes a contract doesn't mean much to people either.

Maybe you could get paypal or take credit cards over the phone or something. At least an up front payment with balance due before sending.
Neckknife

Post by Neckknife »

Pay up front.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

100% up front, the total payout is the same...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
artifact

Post by artifact »

You aren't alone! My fishing buddy is a taxidermist and right now he has 11 mounts sitting there that he did for people who never came back to pick them up or much less pay for them, he also doesn't take any money upfront!
I think I would require 1/2 down and payment in full within 30 days of notification of completion, then have an occasional bargain sale on any unclaimed strings of 20% off to reduce inventory and eliminate wasted time and effort, you would still be ahead.
The only way to fully protect yourself is what others are saying, paid in full before you even start on a string.
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

Don, I have a newer model Micro 335 that I could use a spare string for (if you one that you were stuffed on). PM me a PayPal invoice, or however you do it, and I'll send you the funds and address to ship.