For safety of you and others

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

For safety of you and others

Post by Boo »

If you haven't been formally instructed on the use of loctite stop and find someone who knows. Many of you guys think there's no big deal to do whatever amount you want to a trigger unit. You guys are just plain wrong! You can't put on however much loctite that makes you feel secure and you cannot use whatever lubricants you want. A trigger unit can be just like a loaded leg hold trap. You guys who aren't thinking and about to do anything to a trigger unit should go out and set off a bear leg hold trap with a stick to wake up!
I am not going to mention names and I hope the person remains silent. I want to show you guys what happens when you use WAY TOO MUCH loctite. Also what happens when you use some solvents or oils in a trigger unit.
https://s19.postimg.org/6j9jjwpwj/20170925_110915.jpg
What you cannot see is that the latch, lower sear and safety were seizing up because of loctite. The green buffer pad was completely lose, the glue used to hold it was dissolved by whatever oil of solvent used to try to fix the loctite problem.
So here's some advice, if you are going to take it upon yourself to loctite fasteners on your trigger unit, save yourself or other from injury and buy loctite gel. Apply it to only 3 or 4 threads, only to half of the circumference and level with the treads. Do not treat loctite like it is insignificant. I personally only use loctite on limb bolts. I understand how fasteners work. Think about it guys, does anyone use loctite on wheel bolts? Connecting rod bolts? Cylinder head bolts?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Re: For safety of you and others

Post by wildcatter »

wasn't showing Don,,

but yes, a little goes a long way. If your not getting good results with the BLUE Loctite you probably are not cleaning the threads well enough,,, male and female well enough before using it.

Some like acetone some brake cleaner, and others think it is necessary to use the special expensive prep from Loctite to assure the agent does it's job. I have not found it really matters which you use, but you need to make sure all oils and contaminants are gone, and then one drop is more than enough, most smaller fasteners need less than a drop.

The other thing is make sure it is only used on metal parts, it has been known to attack some plastics. No authority but this has always worked for me.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Didn't Bill T. endorse spraying the trigger unit liberally with WD40. ? Pretty sure I saw that on one of his videos?
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Boo

Post by Boo »

Arrowflinger wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Didn't Bill T. endorse spraying the trigger unit liberally with WD40. ? Pretty sure I saw that on one of his videos?
WD40 is good at displacing water but a very poor lubricant. It has no ability to handle EP (extreme pressure) situations. As of a few years ago, Excalibur went to MoS2 grease to lubricate as a result of my suggestions. Most liquid lubricants will wash the MoS2 away so very little if any should be used and only in an emergency. Any lubricant used should be a good lubricant capable of handling EPs. I suppose if you used WD40 it would be better if you followed it up with a lubricant from Mr Moly (US) or Moly Slip in Canada. No, I have no affiliation with either company.
Boo

Post by Boo »

wildcatter wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm
wasn't showing Don,,

but yes, a little goes a long way. If your not getting good results with the BLUE Loctite you probably are not cleaning the threads well enough,,, male and female well enough before using it.

Some like acetone some brake cleaner, and others think it is necessary to use the special expensive prep from Loctite to assure the agent does it's job. I have not found it really matters which you use, but you need to make sure all oils and contaminants are gone, and then one drop is more than enough, most smaller fasteners need less than a drop.

The other thing is make sure it is only used on metal parts, it has been known to attack some plastics. No authority but this has always worked for me.
Agreed Bob, half a drop or less is best but a gel would be even better.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

This would be better for most people to use.

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
janesy

Post by janesy »

ThackMan wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:25 pm
This would be better for most people to use.

Yep, that's harder to find in Canada. Although I'm sure it's out there somewhere. The gen is a good substitute. But if you are like me and only need it for bows and guns. The gel will last for the rest of your life .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme