My homemade vanilla killer recipe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Re: My homemade vanilla killer recipe

Post by ko4nrbs »

wallygator wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:36 pm
Hi, I plan on making some of this stuff. Do you have to use the pure vanilla and almond extract? I was at Costco last night and a Costco sized bottle of pure vanilla was $26. Haven't checked at our local Amish stores yet.
All at WalMart
Went to Walmart tonight and picked up what I needed to make the vanilla extract lure.
Dispenser Bottle $.97 (used for Ketchup)
Great Value Pure Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz. Bottle $5.98
Watkins Pure Almond Extract 2 fl. oz. Bottle $3.44
Great Value Pure Maple Syrup 12.5 fl. oz. $6.98
Total with tax- $18.99

Pics in my post on page 1 of this thread.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

If you sprayed this on a tree or into the air, why would it be illegal in a state that doesnt allow baiting? What would be the difference compared to apple or acorn scent, or even doe urine? Just thinking out loud.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yes at the beginning of the post "real" vanilla it specified and it it expensive you can try imatation if you want bit its just not the same has a kind of chemical odor. It is a food based scent wich would be considered a bait. Use at your discretion. I find it kind of crazy and one sided that you can use one scent and not another. Our local dicks and every store in pa sell every kind of attractant but there only legal in se pa if your on private property with permission from the state. Over the river in jersey 2 miles away you can basically do whatever you want .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I haven't tried the home made vanilla killer recipe. I have always just used vanilla extract bought at the dollar store for $1 and either poured or sprayed the vanilla on a pumpkin I placed 20 yards from my ground blind. The orange pumpkin acts as a visual attractor while the vanilla scent causes the deer to react to the smell in a some what curious behavior(no negative reactions). So far every deer that responded to the vanilla/pumpkin set up,I could have shot them while standing in my underware. They were so distracted and curious by the combo,they never paid attention to any activity around them.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats cool a/a l think l like the cake mix thing. I might try that
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Went out for a couple hours last week. Climbed into the blacked out permanent blind we built early this summer. Wind was perfect. Looked out over the "vanilla killer" drip I had set out a few days earlier...

Then my alarm to pick up the kids from daycare startled me awake from a dead sleep, and I left. :lol: :lol: :oops:

What did I learn? Only that the office chair I found on the side of the road is really comfy, and it's easy to fall asleep in a blacked out room .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Saltybuck

Post by Saltybuck »

Hey the pumpkin idea sounds good. Tis the season!! Might give it a go on some blacktails!
Micro Suppressor
Vixenmaster String
TN Zombies
Quickest way to insanity... chasing Sitka Blacktails
tomabbott

Post by tomabbott »

So Joe....is this legal in Pa? Isn't that considered a food lure? I personally won't cheat to kill a buck....
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

No its not legal in pa unless you have a private property baiting permit from the landowner in the se region. I hunt jersey also its legal there.
tomabbott

Post by tomabbott »

ok...cool...thanks....good luck this season...
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 pm
No its not legal in pa unless you have a private property baiting permit from the landowner in the se region. I hunt jersey also its legal there.
What "region" of NJ?
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

If you can bait food in jersey why wouldn't a food based scent be legal.
sledhead

Post by sledhead »

as mentioned in a previous post, smells sweet but taste it and it seems to to the kick of bourbon! definitely not an item to sample in the stand! hope i made it right, followed the recipe - one part pure vanilla extract, one part pure almond extract, one part real maple syrup. i can understand that the deer would be attracted to the sweet smell but cant see how they're attracted to the taste.
sledhead

Post by sledhead »

put out the concoction about a month ago and so far no interest from deer or critters. applied to rotting stumps, branches, top of corn piles with no luck. maybe when all the food is down and snow covers the ground they may change their minds....
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive never really used it in that maner other than an early season lure on leaves etc. If your looking for a mineral atractant on stumps maby try some diecal phosphate or just plain salt along with the vanilla. ..they will come again and again