Shot Placement On A Bear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Shot Placement On A Bear

Post by nchunterkw »

sproulman wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm
I wait until he takes a step forward and place my arrow in heart ..Its that simple.. :roll:
So you don't shoot Bear while he's standing still broadside at 20 yards with his head in a feeder you wait until he is walking away? Seriously...you really advocate only taking a heart shot on a bear (baseball sized target) over a lung shot (basketball sized target)? :lol: :lol: That's laughable....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm
sproulman wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm
I wait until he takes a step forward and place my arrow in heart ..Its that simple.. :roll:
So you don't shoot Bear while he's standing still broadside at 20 yards with his head in a feeder you wait until he is walking away? Seriously...you really advocate only taking a heart shot on a bear (baseball sized target) over a lung shot (basketball sized target)? :lol: :lol: That's laughable....
I was only having little humor .. :lol: Every once in awhile I get in that mood...Sorry ole buddy.. :cry:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

No worries. You do make me laugh. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm
No worries. You do make me laugh. :mrgreen:

8)
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

iron noggin is right lungs are a little more forward on a bear leg forward is a plus
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

artifact wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 pm
... I will take my chances with - the middle of the middle- if the opportunity arises!
Well... That's one way to ensure you add yet another bear to the "lost list"...

Shaking the ol' noggin yet again... :roll:
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
artifact

Post by artifact »

Or I could shoot where they did, right behind the shoulder, and lose a 5th one!
I'm not arguing, I really don't know, but after 3 of my buddies lost 4 bear combined, I'm open to suggestions also as for where to aim, I don't like crippling animals, that's why I started trying to look up information just like the OP is asking.
It seems like some of the top bear guides in Canada tell clients "middle of the middle" because of too many lost bear that are shot like deer would be, again, I don't know and am trying to learn also.
OK, the 6million dollar question! If a bear is standing broadside to you, where would you aim? Like I said, I'm all ears and willing to learn.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

FIXED points seem to kill more bear in our crew almost none use expanding points...You can take angle shot with fixed point that i never do but MOST will...Never use expandable on angle shots on bear..
As for crippling I am on your side..

Brother shows up at house took angle shot on 8 point buck..I made face and he got mad and went home.. :roll:
He said I DID NOT WANT TO LET HIM GET AWAY SPROUL I HAD TOO SHOOT..Unreal isnt it I let I bet 100 bucks go because of brush over heart or angle shot etc...

I sleep very well at night... :)
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

why is this hard to understand. shoot behind the leg crease broad side animal back of the rib cage quartering, where did this middle of the body come from . outfitters are the last one i would trust to tell me where to shoot i have done over 60 bear hunts i have listen to outfitters quite a bit some are very good.about 20%in my world it comes down to shot placement you should know that. as far as broadheads both will work my vote goes to fixed on bear jmo
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I think this mostly came from a Rob Nye article (someone posted a link to it in the thread), and a Keith Warren video where he did a "cut away" of an actual bear. Rob says standing broadside, middle of the middle. Should hit the back of the lungs. I think he is trying to give guys margin. A little forward of that and you center punch lungs. I little back and you get liver. He does admit that the "best" place would be 3" fwd. from the "middle". It's hard to get accurate info. Some pictures show lungs back and some show it fwd. Even on the cut away it's not crystal clear.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
artifact

Post by artifact »

I'm not sure' but I think I now have this figured out! You aim a little further back than just behind the front leg, but a little further front than the middle of the middle!
You asked the initial question nchunterkw, I ran into the exact thing you described in your post above when I started looking into this also because of what I have posted already about friends losing bear, glad you asked about this.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I found this yesterday as well and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/2016/3/shot-placement-black-bear-blog-march-17-2016
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Keith, here is a direct quote from the article " By aiming farther back and at the middle of the bear, from top to bottom", That the middle I was referencing stay off the shoulder
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Buszone wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:21 pm
Keith, here is a direct quote from the article " By aiming farther back and at the middle of the bear, from top to bottom", That the middle I was referencing stay off the shoulder
Yep! It seems like middle up and down is key because of all the hair, like you said in your first post.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><