Shot Placement On A Bear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Shot Placement On A Bear

Post by nchunterkw »

I am heading on my first bear hunt next year. I have been researching shot placement on bears. "Middle of the middle" keeps coming up.
Those of you that hunts bears routinely...where do you try to put your arrow?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Re: Shot Placement On A Bear

Post by Buszone »

Keith as you know I've been in a bunch of bear kill's and I always tell guys both lungs that's for bow or rifle . Remember, when you look at a bear you have 5" of hair on top and 5" of hair on the bottom so watch how high or low you go that's why you hear middle /middle.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The middle/middle I read about was middle vertical like you said but also middle between where both legs come up when standing broadside. It seems like a far back shot but several guides I read about say that is the way to go for a short tracking job.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Lung shots are your best bet. Trace the back of the front leg up to about one-third of the way into the chest. The lungs on a bear are positioned a little more forward than on an ungulate, so you don't have as much leeway if you shoot back of your aiming point...

Make sure the closest foreleg is forward! Their bones are damn heavy, and when in the rearward position guard the heart & lungs.

Quartering away is perfect.

Best of Luck!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Best shot for a bow is quartering away with the near front leg in the forward position. Aim mid way up for the offside front leg/shoulder joint.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
mikej

Post by mikej »

Good luck
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
janesy

Post by janesy »

Some good info here.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Seriously ignore that NONSENSE of middle of the body halfway between front and rear legs. That'll put you in the intestines....back of liver if you're lucky. Listen to what Ironoggin suggested and you'll do well. I've shot a lot of bears and all but one were tight behind the front leg and mid body to lower third.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Middle of middle is what kept coming up when I looked into it too about a month ago. It appears to be BS!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 pm
Seriously ignore that NONSENSE of middle of the body halfway between front and rear legs. That'll put you in the intestines....back of liver if you're lucky. Listen to what Ironoggin suggested and you'll do well. I've shot a lot of bears and all but one were tight behind the front leg and mid body to lower third.

Paul
Yup this is where I shot my bear he went 45 yards.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Wow let's debate what middle means nose to a$$ or shoulder to hip . I obviously have just been extremely lucky on my bear kills . Just stay off the shoulder and I would agree quarter away . After all the beard will make up the difference
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

there seams to be merit behind the middle of the middle. the writer says the lungs extend back to the 3rd rib and the liver is there too. i would aim forward of that to be safe but i guess you cant argue biology. as a deer hunter your conditioned to put it behind the shoulder. this method is a different way of thinking and keeps you far away from any shoulder. http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/middle-of-the-middle-redefining-shot-placement
artifact

Post by artifact »

Interesting post about where to aim on a bear. One buddy lost a bear in Maine, another buddy lost a bear in Maine, and my young fishing buddy lost 2 bear in PA in just the last few years. I started wondering why these guys were not getting the bear they shot basically in the same location as they would shoot a deer. Started looking for information to see if I could come up with something that may be helpful or give an idea as to why they lost 4 bear combined, almost everything I read said - the middle of the middle, unless the front leg is forward, then the vitals are exposed which would normally be behind the leg if standing broadside. Knowing they lost those bear, and that they can drop deer with no problem, I will take my chances with - the middle of the middle- if the opportunity arises!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

foofoo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 pm
there seams to be merit behind the middle of the middle. the writer says the lungs extend back to the 3rd rib and the liver is there too. i would aim forward of that to be safe but i guess you cant argue biology. as a deer hunter your conditioned to put it behind the shoulder. this method is a different way of thinking and keeps you far away from any shoulder. http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/middle-of-the-middle-redefining-shot-placement
Yep, this is the article I saw too.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I wait until he takes a step forward and place my arrow in heart ..Its that simple.. :roll: