Spitfire Broadhead Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Spitfire Broadhead Question

Post by paulaboutform »

I recently tried some Spitfire 100gr Crossbow heads I picked up on sale some time ago. I was very pleased with their accuracy and expected no less from all the great things I heard from so many here....and all the intel from our insane hunter sniper Ironoggin. :mrgreen: Anyway, I just saw some Spitfire Triplex broadheads which look basically the same but are all silver and have a 2" cut diameter. Has anyone here tried them or have any knowledge about them and what are your thoughts? Accuracy, durability, etc...

Edit to add: I'm trying some awesome new Firenock Aerovane 2 vanes which are a whole different animal and I'll give a proper review of when I have time to test more thoroughly. Anyway, my beloved Toxics won't fly with this setup. My Grizztricks are awesome but I'm looking to play a little.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Re: Spitfire Broadhead Question

Post by vixenmaster »

I like the Spitfire XXX n they are jus like the Spitfires cept the 2" cut. They do well but as most long blades when hittin bone will bend mostly. When hittin heavy bones it tends to bent the ferrule which is alum. I usually hit rocks on pass-throughs n they are a 1 shot b-Head
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

Paul,
What xbow/arrow weight are you using? I'm using Grizz Tricks, Spitfires and Carni4s interchangeably this year. Odd mix but are hitting virtually the same out to beyond 80 yards. Experience has shown that the larger cut broadheads certainly require more energy for passthrus.
For over 20 years, Spitfires have been my "go to" or "go back to" broadheads.
Steve
mikej

Post by mikej »

Sound so interesting I haven't seen them
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Steve, I'm shooting a 'Frankenbow' which launches my 440gr arrows over 390fps. The caveat is that I'm also using the Aerovane 2 vanes which cause incredible spin and actually create lift thus reducing arrow drop. The problem, as Dorge at Firenock told me, the toxics won't work with this system. Slick Trick broadheads were my go to for years and I'm a huge fan. Was just wondering about the specific spitfire.

Mike, I used to shoot mechanicals exclusively until slicks showed up. To me they're all one shot wonders.

Paul
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In my opinion the biggest bargain of all is the cabellas lazer strike ll . Its a nap trivex (o ring spitfire ) dependable as dirt decent cut and really tough . My friend uses them out of a 405 never had a opening issue. We both put a tiny dab of rtv silicone up front on blades ....just in case.
Ive broken and shot thru deer legs and never broke a blade. Fly like a field point and ....best of all. $19.95 for 3 of them.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:54 am
Anyway, I just saw some Spitfire Triplex broadheads which look basically the same but are all silver and have a 2" cut diameter. Has anyone here tried them or have any knowledge about them and what are your thoughts? Accuracy, durability, etc...
I bought a pack and shot them last season and had no complaints. They shot like field points and left a huge hole. I took a 6pt on the last day of the season with one.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64349&p=630149#p630149

I banded mine, just to be safe. I did not get a pass though. The banding may have hindered penetration a bit, or it could have been the opposite shoulder that it had to bust through. It came to a rest just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. With a single hole to bleed from, there was still plenty of blood for tracking. Though it really wasn't needed because I heard him crash. I'm a fan of 2" Rocket Hammerheads, but would have no issues screwing on another Spitfire XXX.

Go big! :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:16 pm
paulaboutform wrote:
Anyway, I just saw some Spitfire Triplex broadheads which look basically the same but are all silver and have a 2" cut diameter. Has anyone here tried them or have any knowledge about them and what are your thoughts? Accuracy, durability, etc...
I bought a pack and shot them last season and had no complaints. They shot like field points and left a huge hole. I took a 6pt on the last day of the season with one.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64349&p=630149#p630149

I banded mine, just to be safe. I did not get a pass though. The banding may have hindered penetration a bit, or it could have been the opposite shoulder that it had to bust through. It came to a rest just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. With a single hole to bleed from, there was still plenty of blood for tracking. Though it really wasn't needed because I heard him crash. I'm a fan of 2" Rocket Hammerheads, but would have no issues screwing on another Spitfire XXX.

Go big! :lol:

DuckHunt
Thanks for the info.sir. much appreciated. :D

Paul
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The spitfire website has a ton of heads.some l havnt seen . I use a spitfire maxx for turkey its awsome pretty sure its 2 1/2 cut .l cant find the same head on the site it appears that this version is only at dicks sporting goods and sold as a 4 pack for the price of a 3. This head dosnt have the cutting point up front just a tip. What an awsome hole this thing makes never had a turkey go very far after a hit with these hatchets.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:
... I just saw some Spitfire Triplex broadheads which look basically the same but are all silver and have a 2" cut diameter. Has anyone here tried them or have any knowledge about them and what are your thoughts? Accuracy, durability, etc...
I'd check them out for you Buddy (and those Cabela's ones Joe mentioned) were they to come in 125 grain weights. As they don't, I won't be.

Be interested to hear your opinion though once you've shot them a spell.
And of course waiting with bated breath on the Firenock reports!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I have been using NAP Broadheads for a long time. The one I use now is the Spitfire Max 125 grain. It's a great Broadhead. They fly really good. As far as the crossbow ones I was told the retention clips are a little heavier on them. I have shot many a deer with them and had no problems. They have come out with a bunch more but I'm staying with my Maxes.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

You all are being misled because the retention clips are not any different in either the regular or the crossbow branded broadheads that NAP produces. It's one of those marketing ploys that gives consumers a warm & fuzzy feeling! Just like the guaranteed for life does, gives the consumer a sense of security! Call and ask the company directly and discover that for yourself. If you live in or close to Illinois go and visit their plant. They have an open door policy for all of their consumers. I do NOT agree with their consumer practices like that, but I still like and use the product because frankly they works!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

bigbowman wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 am
You all are being misled because the retention clips are not any different in either the regular or the crossbow branded broadheads that NAP produces. It's one of those marketing ploys that gives consumers a warm & fuzzy feeling! Just like the guaranteed for life does, gives the consumer a sense of security! Call and ask the company directly and discover that for yourself. If you live in or close to Illinois go and visit their plant. They have an open door policy for all of their consumers. I do NOT agree with their consumer practices like that, but I still like and use the product because frankly they works!
That being said, where would you suggest that the extra weight comes from on the crossbow version because I have weighed both on two different scales and the crossbow specific version weighs on average 3.3gr more each?

Respectfully
Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Bcxbow wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 am
bigbowman wrote:
That being said, where would you suggest that the extra weight comes from on the crossbow version because I have weighed both on two different scales and the crossbow specific version weighs on average 3.3gr more each?

Respectfully
Billy
Regular crossbow points weight around 103 grs ,the crossbow ones go too 106.9 grs ...NAP said you can use regular ones to 345 fps and crossbow over 400fps ...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

sproulman wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 pm
Bcxbow wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 am
bigbowman wrote:

Respectfully
Billy

REGULAR going back to 1996 spitfire 100s weight 103 grs ..New crossbow ones weight up to 106.9 grs ..Difference is the RETENTION CLIPS are heavier to keep blades closed on Crossbow ones..Non crossbow ones can be use to 345 fps and crossbow over 400....

125 gr spitfires can weight 125 grs do to the weight ring on them BUT not the 100 gr ones they have no ring ,soooooooooo they will weight up to 106.9 grs ..

It is heavier retention clips..

As for pauls question my brother uses the silver ones fly same as mine but has not killed a Buck yet with them..

Sproul has spoken... :roll: